Tracks by Louise Erdrich

Tracks (original 1988; edition 2004)

by Louise Erdrich

Told in the alternating voices of a wise Chippewa Indian leader, and a young, embittered mixed-blood woman, the novel chronicles the drama of daily lives overshadowed by the clash of cultures and mythologies.
Member:bibliovermis
Title:Tracks
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Info:Harper Perennial (2004), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, Books I own
Tags:fiction, culture, history, mythology, native american, religion, multiple perspectives

Tracks by Louise Erdrich (1988)

English (27)  Spanish (1)  All languages (28)
This was set in the 1910s, I believe on a Native reserve. Not sure what it was supposed to be about. There was a girl, Fleur, who gambled with the men, then slept with and married someone. There was a nun (or maybe that was a different woman, not the nun?), who seemed to have a crush on one of the other women in the story. Other reviews tell me the book was set in North Dakota and about the Native land being taken away. Had no idea.

I was confused. I didn’t “get” it. “I” was used in the book, but part of the time “I” was male and part of the time “I” was female. I wasn’t sure if “I” was switching back and forth somehow or what, but a review I saw said something about there being two narrators, one an old man and one a young woman. Had no idea.

Nanapush was the name(?) of the old man “I”, but I don’t know if it was just a name or if it was meant to represent the native trickster/legend of the same name?

I should probably not bother reading any more of Erdrich’s adult novels, though I have enjoyed a couple of her children’s literature. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 6, 2019 |
Man, what a trippy read. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Just really sucked me in in a way that is rare for me, and wouldn't let go. It's beautifully written, as are most Erdrich's works, and I think the more you read about this world she's crafted, the better you understand what's happening and the more pieces open up. This was just really, truly beautiful and lovely, and made me want to read more about all of these characters way more than I felt I wanted to before. Really, really beautiful, and I think a really accessible place to enter this narrative, as the characters are relatively limited and I felt like had a stronger grasp of what was going on. ( )
  aijmiller | Nov 13, 2018 |
Not since Marlon James', The Book of Night Women, have I read a book with so much raw energy and stark honesty, albeit well adorned in the ethereal trappings of native American culture. Moreover, the book is chockablock with complex and highly diverse female characters. A key one is one of the two narrators of the book's story, but even her essential, highly dramatic role is overshadowed by the stunning, unforgettable, Fleur. I will know America has reached a new level in recognizing the complexities of women in our society when Hollywood can make a faithful and successful movie based on this book. I'm very much looking forward to reading more books by this author. ( )
  larryerick | Apr 26, 2018 |
This is quite an intimate novel. Two narrators, an old man and a young woman. Almost all the action is among maybe a dozen folks, a few families. The Chippewa are losing their land to lumber companies by various legal games. Some families come out winners, some losers. The writing reminded me of Faulkner in its visceral intensity. ( )
1 vote kukulaj | Apr 23, 2016 |
Michael, The story comes up different every time and has no ending but always begins with you.
We started dying before the snow, and like the snow, we continued to fall.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible