Tracks by Louise Erdrich

by Louise Erdrich

Member:gabebaker
Title:Tracks
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Info:Harper Perennial (2004), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Paperback, 226 pages
Tags:Read in 2012, 1980s, *4

Tracks by Louise Erdrich

i really don't like erdrich's writing. she's too cute or something. after reading something of her life, she's not a very competent person. ( )
  mahallett | Sep 28, 2013 |
Excellent place to start your Erdrich reading. Poignant portrayal of the harshness and indignities of life on the range for Native Americans at the turn of the 19th/20th century. Many characters return in later novels. A unique form of Magical Realism is invoked. Graphic scenes make it not for everyone. ( )
  mabroms | Sep 3, 2013 |
There are some rich characters, beautiful displays of language, and interesting plot moments in Erdrich's Tracks. Unfortunately, there are also many characters and moments which drag on. In the end, I didn't think of this story as memorable, but Erdrich has strong potential, and I'll return to her someday for a another try. ( )
  chrisblocker | Mar 30, 2013 |
The setting for this story was a little different for me as apart from [Caleb's Crossing] by [[Geraldine Brooks]], I have read little about the native American people.
The book spans the years 1912 - 1924 when the Indian tribes are being rapidly decimated through disease and land loss. The story is narrated through the eyes of Nanapush one of the elders who has lost all his immediate family but takes into his care a young woman, Fleur, whom is the last surviving member of her family. His narration alternates with that of Pauline, she is of mixed blood and bears witness to the brutal rape of Fleur which Pauline leaves damaged to the point of spiritual and religious obsession. Fleur chooses to live in isolation but her strength, self-possession and beauty soon draw the attention of young man and the idle talk of others.
The reader views old rivalries and how new liaisons are formed as this race of people battle starvation and the encroaching lumber companies in their struggle for survival.
I was drawn to this writer after reading a review of another of her books and I see she has written prolifically, so I will seek more of her books as I feel better informed after reading this, about the plight of another native people. ( )
  HelenBaker | Jan 31, 2013 |
Love her writing and love her books. Apparently I have read them out of order and now have to go back and read Love Medicine. Which is more than fine with me. Nanapush has become a particular favorite of mine, and I love his sarcastic sense of humor. Another brilliant read. ( )
  Beamis12 | May 31, 2012 |
We started dying before the snow, and like the snow, we continued to fall.

Set in North Dakota at a time in the past century when Indian tribes were struggling to keep what little remained of their lands, Tracks is a tale of passion and deep unrest. Over the course of ten crucial years, as tribal land and trust between people erode ceaselessly, men and women are pushed to the brink of their endurance—yet their pride and humor prohibit surrender. The reader will experience shock and pleasure in encountering characters that are compelling and rich in their vigor, clarity, and indomitable vitality.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:24 -0400)

Set in North Dakota at a time in this century when Indian tribes were struggling to keep what little remained of their lands, Tracks is a tale of passion and deep unrest. Over the course of ten crucial years, as tribal land and trust between people erode ceaselessly, men and women are pushed to the brink of their endurance--yet their pride and humor prohibit surrender. The reader will experience shock and pleasure in encountering a group of characters that are compelling and rich in their vigor, clarity, and indomitable vitality.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible