Tracks by Louise Erdrich

Tracks (original 1988; edition 2004)

by Louise Erdrich

Member:gabebaker
Title:Tracks
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Info:Harper Perennial (2004), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Paperback, 226 pages
Tags:Read in 2012, 1980s, *4

Tracks by Louise Erdrich (1988)

This is quite an intimate novel. Two narrators, an old man and a young woman. Almost all the action is among maybe a dozen folks, a few families. The Chippewa are losing their land to lumber companies by various legal games. Some families come out winners, some losers. The writing reminded me of Faulkner in its visceral intensity. ( )
1 vote kukulaj | Apr 23, 2016 |
A fascinating insight into the lives of Native Americans in Dakota in the 1910s - this was highly educational about the lives, traditions, beliefs etc of the characters, but a tough read. It was hard to follow at times, and to work out what was actually happening and what was surreal. It was quite a visceral novel - lots of hunting, gutting, skinning etc, and in time to come I suspect this is the abiding image of this novel that will stay with me. ( )
1 vote jayne_charles | Mar 5, 2016 |
This is primarily set over the years 1912-1919 and paints an unflattering portrait of a Chippewa community that is slowly losing it's identity and land for a variety of reasons. Initially this caught my interest, but that interest started fading. Then the story would pick up. Then it would turn me off. I persisted in reading, honestly so I could see what it was all for. Although the topic was potentially interesting I think what doesn't work for me is the manner of storytelling. We switch back and forth between two often unreliable narrators, mostly viewing other characters, but focused around one woman. The problem here is that unless something very specific was happening to the individual narrator I frequently could detect no difference between how each related the information, even though they were very different sorts of people. Both narrators would be in the same place and at times I'd challenge anyone to detect a difference in voice between the world wise and weary old man or the young insane ascetic nun wannabee. I also question some of the elements included in here, seemingly for titillation or shock. There is some bizarre behavior and happenings and this is a pretty sad story. ( )
1 vote RBeffa | Mar 31, 2015 |
A book read for my Native American Literature class at my university in Oregon. I remember liking this book a lot. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
Michael, The story comes up different every time and has no ending but always begins with you.
We started dying before the snow, and like the snow, we continued to fall.

Set in North Dakota at a time in the past century when Indian tribes were struggling to keep what little remained of their lands, Tracks is a tale of passion and deep unrest. Over the course of ten crucial years, as tribal land and trust between people erode ceaselessly, men and women are pushed to the brink of their endurance—yet their pride and humor prohibit surrender. The reader will experience shock and pleasure in encountering characters that are compelling and rich in their vigor, clarity, and indomitable vitality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

Set in North Dakota at a time in this century when Indian tribes were struggling to keep what little remained of their lands, Tracks is a tale of passion and deep unrest. Over the course of ten crucial years, as tribal land and trust between people erode ceaselessly, men and women are pushed to the brink of their endurance--yet their pride and humor prohibit surrender. The reader will experience shock and pleasure in encountering a group of characters that are compelling and rich in their vigor, clarity, and indomitable vitality.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,925,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible