Elphame's Choice by P.C. Cast

Elphame's Choice (edition 2009)

by P.C. Cast

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Elphame's Choice
Authors:P.C. Cast
Info:Harlequin (2009), Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:TBR, Young Adult, Paranormal

Elphame's Choice by P. C. Cast

Cast continues her Parthalon series, picking up more than a century after the events of the last novel. Elphame is born to the current Goddess Incarnate of Epona, and has been touched by the Goddess in a very special way. Instead of being born fully human to her centaur father and human mother, she is half centaur, with the legs and hooves of a horse.
She has been drawn to the MacCallan castle, which was razed by Fomorians 125 years ago during the events of the first Parthalon book. She begins rebuilding with her new clan, but finds that there are some mysterious and unexpected creatures nearby who desire an end to their torment. She must make the choice to save them or save herself.

I was a little disappointed that this book contained no resolution to the story in the previous (3rd) book of the series with Morrigan, as it ended rather abruptly. She wasn't even mentioned!

This story was only okay. Elphame was a good character. Her growth from outcast to clan leader was inspiring and her brother Cu's relationship with the scarred healer Brenna was, frankly, a better story than Elphame's. The central conflict and eventual tragedy of the final chapters could easily have been resolved if everyone had just been honest with each other, which is my least favorite plot device in all kinds of storytelling. Particularly when someone's death could have been prevented.

Only recommended if you've read the first part of this series. Although this could probably work as a standalone, it's not worth reading by itself. ( )
  EmScape | Jan 12, 2015 |
There is sooo much I want to say about this book I don't even know where to begin. First off, I LOVED the Parthenon series and P.C. Cast is quickly becoming my favorite author of all time. I loved her Goddess Summoning series as well, anyway...This book fits in perfectly with the Parthenon series, it is actually set a hundred and some years after Rhiannon. The characters in this book are so vivid and so devoted to their faith it almost makes me jealous, and wish that I could also have that kind of faith in something, anything really. P.C. Cast makes you feel like you are in the book and you are actually there with the people and apart of everything. While reading (even up to 25 hours without sleep) it was like I was watching a movie and you know one of the characters is about to do something stupid and you are yelling at the TV "DON'T GO IN THERE" but they don't listen to you, of course. While reading this book I squealed, I laughed, I cried (yes, I actually did), I yelled, and I absolutely fell head over heels in love with Lochlan. Wow, what a character...I love him, and adore him absolutely. I know I can get an older copy of Brighid's Quest but...I want to wait so my whole series will match the re-release from Mira. I can't get enough, I have to go read the Parthenon series again, just because I don't want to let this world go just quite yet. The one thing that is even remotely not 100% positive was: I am unsure if this fits in the YA series genre...there is some sex in it, which is fine, but it still read like an adult novel to me, but who knows, book was amazing though. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I laughed, I cried and I was amazed. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
I picked this up because P.C. Cast has such a great reputation and she's a bestseller. The book was good, he writing is easy to read. I thought it had a slow start. However, by the half way point I was definitely engaged in Elphame's plight and by the end I was completely hooked. Of course, I had to buy the next book in the series. Brighid's Quest. It is now on my TBR shelf. ( )
  maggiejaimeson | Mar 30, 2013 |
This story makes you believe in the unbelievable...great rollercoaster of emotions I loved it all the way to the end... ( )
  elie26reads | Jan 3, 2013 |

awesomeness

From the bestselling author of the "House of Night" series comes the award-winning world of Partholon, rich in goddesses, intrigue and magic. Part-human, part-centaur, Elphame has always been different. OK, make that very different. The hundreds of shimmering butterflies sent by the goddess Etain to mark her birth were only the beginning. When Elphame is asked to breathe new life into the remote MacCallan Castle, she goes along with it (well stranger things have happened...) and finally she's found her true calling. But Elphame hadn't banked on her life being threatened when the bizarre Fomorian descendents (bat-like humans - it's a long story) return to MacCallen with their own devastating agenda. Nor the fact that she may have finally found her lifemate...at the most inconvenient time!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:42 -0400)

I was marked from birth as belonging to the goddess Epona -- but that didn't make my life easy. Because of my "blessings," I was set apart, worshipped, unable to make real connections with others. Then came the Feeling, and with it a glimpse of my destiny.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,557,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible