I, Coriander by Sally Gardner

I, Coriander (2005)

by Sally Gardner

9703813,495 (3.87)1 / 33

English (37)  Danish (1)  All languages (38)
This was a lovely reading (by Juliet Stevenson) of an interesting mix of fairy tale and historical novel. A young girl with a mother of mysterious origin lives through the time of Cromwell in London. One day, she is the recipient of silver shoes, and her life changes at breakneck pace. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Spellbinding. All the attention to sensory detail made the experience of reading it so immersive I finished the book in one late night. Dramatic & atmospheric, full of allusions and symbolism. Good vs. evil - the only truly complex character is Coriander's father who is a good man who makes some bad decisions. I especially loved how painlessly I actually learned a bit more about English history, both political and cultural. I'm excited to discuss this in the Children's Books group - come join us all through Oct. 2012.

ETA - turns out I wasn't actually learning very good history. See msg 13 from Abigail in this thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1047720?utm_content=A&utm_medium=email&a.... In fact the whole discussion is good - and I've taken a star off my rating. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I like historical fiction and I picked up this book thinking that it was a story of London in the middle 1600's. Then I found out that it had won Gold in the Nestle Children's Book Prize as a children's book in 2005. It is supposed to be a fairy tale but I would put it into the category of Historical Fantasy.

The language of the book would be very challenging for a child under 13 years old for sure and I believe the book is really aimed at the late teen or even early 20's. Having said that, I decided to read the book anyway and discovered a very well written novel that grabbed my imagination immediately and I could not put it down.

Coriander is a young girl in London, the child of a mother who is a fairy and a father who is a successful London business man. The story takes place when the King Charles I is executed and England is thrown into civil war. Her pleasant life is thrown into chaos when a mysterious pair of silver slippers appear as a gift. I won't spoil the story but Coriander becomes a traveler between the real world and fairy world of magic after being trapped in a small casket by her evil stepmother and her Puritan preacher accomplice.

I think it could be a fairy tale that was read to older children as it does have such an ending, but as an older adult I enjoyed the tale very much. It was certainly deserving of its Nestle award in 2003 ( )
  Lynxear | Mar 16, 2016 |
Narrated by Juliet Stevenson
In this fairy-tale-like fantasy, Coriander's father is of the human world and her mother is of the fairy world. Coriander is unaware of her own power until after her mother's death and her father's forced remarriage to an abusive woman named Maude. During a couple of blackouts, Coriander finds herself in the fairy world where she falls in love with Tyco, a young prince. But Coriander must choose between the human and fairy world and she chooses the human world so that she can locate her father who was forced to flee during an unfriendly reign. She and Tyco later reunite and plan to marry.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This young adult novel is set in the period following the English Civil War and Charles I’s beheading. Coriander lives with her father, a wealthy merchant and her mother in a house backing on to the River Thames. Life changes suddenly for Coriander the day she tries on a pair of silver slippers against her mother’s wishes and starts a chain of magical events that will have a huge impact on her family.

Sally Gardner’s story cleverly integrates the fairy world with the mortal one in this Cinderella-style tale. The ending was a bit corny, perhaps, but nevertheless I enjoyed it. ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |

Sally Gardnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craig, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of an irreplaceable friend, Maria Bjornson. The world we live in is nothing more than a mirror that reflects another world below its silvery surface, a land where time is but a small and unimportant thing, stripped of all its power. I hope to find you there.
It is night, and our old house by the river is finally quiet.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended: that you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear.
William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

In this exceptionally well-crafted tale, Coriander tells the story of her childhood in seventeenth-century London—and of her discovery that she has inherited magical powers from her mother, who was a fairy princess. But her mother’s sudden death brings on a dark time for Coriander. And after mourning her beloved mother and dealing with the disappearance of her father and the wrath of her evil stepmother, Coriander finds herself locked in a chest with no hope of escape and no will to survive. But when a bright light beckons to her, it is then that Coriander’s journey truly begins. Beautifully written, this magical and luminous story is destined to become a children’s classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:06 -0400)

In seventeenth-century London, Coriander, a girl who has inherited magic from her mother, must find a way to use this magic in order to save both herself and an inhabitant of the fairy world where her mother was born.

Sally Gardner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,733,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible