Immortal in Death by J. D. Robb

Immortal in Death (edition 1996)

by J. D. Robb (Author)

Series: In Death (3)

1,999None3,344 (4.02)55
Member:katiekrug
Title:Immortal in Death
Authors:J. D. Robb (Author)
Info:Berkley (1996), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, suspense, speculative, future, romance

Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb

I could say that I absolutely love this series and nothing else. End of review. But, I really believe that this particular series deserves a full review, because readers must learn how great it is! This book is the third installment in this series and many things happened.

Eve and Roarke are planning their wedding. Well, Roarke is planning the wedding and Eve is trying to solve another case that was make the life of her best friend difficult! On top of that, Eve remembers what happened to her when she was just a kid. Yes, in this book she has to deal with many difficult situations. Again.

I liked Eve since I first read about her, but after that I like her even more. Although she’s been through hell and her father did to her many unspeakable things, she’s a very strong woman. If she was broken, I would have understand her because it would be logical. But she’s a very brave woman and although she’s afraid of her feelings, at the end of the day she admits that she needs Roarke and his love because he makes her feel safe. Of course, she had her doubts for a while but not because she doesn’t love him but because everything is to strange for her.

Roarke is definitely the best man for Eve. He knows her better that herself. And he has his dark past also, so she can understand her. We learn some things about his past in this story. Not good but I was expecting it. It’s not easy for him to be so giving and to see that Eve is reluctant but it bothers him because he wants her free of her nightmares and happy. I love their conversations because he can make her be more relaxed.

In this story, I liked other five characters also. Mavis, Mira, Peabody, Nadine and Feeney. Everyone for different reasons and I hope to see more of them in the next books. The plot was very good and the writing style amazing as always! Definitely a very nice read! ( )
  mariag_1984 | Nov 3, 2013 |
You can read this review full in my blog Drugs Called Books as well as find more fun stuff! Please pop by!

3.5 stars
After finished Glory in Death, I just had to read the next one. I’m thinking I might’ve enjoyed it better if I gave the series a break, but all in all I really liked it.

The Plot
We left Eve and Roarke with a marriage proposal in Glory in Death. And, luckily enough, Immortal in Death begins with the most adorable and funny exchange between Eve and Roarke about their upcoming wedding. Aside for making me grin like mad (though luckily no one was in the room to question my sanity), it also confirmed that Eve has accepted.
But nothing is ever simple for Eve Dallas. On top of wedding preparations—of which she is scared stiff, I might add—she’s got to deal with a couple or more murders, clear Mavis, her best friend, of said murders, and deal with the one thing she has always ran away from: the memories from her childhood, the eight blank years of her life.
This book might talk of murder and some of the harder things in life such as child rape, abuse, drugs and all that (which is also the reason I won’t recommend it for the weak hearted) but I don’t think I ever grinned so widely. JD Robb really knows how to balance the ugly with the little parts in between the investigation, quirky dialogues and absolutely loveable characters, and she does it in a way that pins a smirk on your face, heavy subjects or not.

The Characters
Eve Dallas: as usual, a very likable and kickass character. I won’t go into too many details as you can see it more in my review of Glory in Death.
I liked seeing her loyal side and seeing her deal with her emotions over her father, who was a complete bastard, I might add. We also got to see more of what she’s been through, which was nice and horrifying at the same time.
Roarke: One yummy man, as always. He got a little more upset with Eve, but only because he loves her so fiercely and someone needs to make her see she’d be completely lost without him :>
Mavis: we get to see more of Mavis this book. Not sure I liked that, though :/ Mavis was always an intriguing character, and I was looking forward to seeing more of her, but she ended up being just “another character” in the book for me. One that felt a little flat to me. It was Peabody who shone in this book, I think.
Peabody: she’s a young, ambitious and good cop, who looks up to Eve. We met her in Glory in Death, but here Eve requests she’ll be attached to her throughout the entire case, and we’re given option to see her. We got to see a witty, strong and smart woman who also had self confidence issues and a funny comeback to everything, but who took her job very seriously.
My favorite parts in this book either included Eve and Roarke, or Eve with Peabody. Peabody added much needed humor to the dry and serious parts of the investigation, but she wasn’t just that. She was a good cop, and helped the plot – not just a comic relief. Some of her dialogues with Eve cracked me up.
I fear seeing her in the next book, because I'm not sure how her response to everything that went down in the end will be. She was sleeping with the guy, for god's sake. I very much fear she's going to lose all self confidence and beat herself up on it, and have to have Eve snap her out of self pity...]

If you like it so far, please finish reading the review on my blog! thanks ahead! ( )
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
This is one of my favorite In Death books. I think because this is the first time we really see Eve open up. She shows a lot of emotional growth here, plus she opens the door to new friendships.

It was easy to figure out who the killer was, but I still enjoyed the basic plot and watching Eve and her team work it out. I was disappointed in the timeline of the investigation though. It seems strange that both Eve and Roarke would be working right up until the night of the wedding.

All of Eve's past is revealed in this book, and I found it just as shocking and horrific this time around. I hate that she pushes Roarke away, and yet that's one of the most real parts of the book.

Overall I'm just as impressed this time around. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
The major problem with this book is that it tries to stab the reader in the gut while smiling at his - mine - back. That often happens when a writer's target readership are, well, I don't want to state it and be guilty of snobbishness. The key point of this book came when the memories of the heroine resurface and I thought, the book does not belong with this stark avowal of rude and real truth. This book is the most highly rated book series I've come across, with more than a 4.00 average on a site not a million miles from here. More's the pity. ( )
  Jiraiya | Aug 25, 2013 |
3rd in the Eve Dallas books. Will she? Won't she? I like the focus on the procedural; but can tell focus will shift more toward the relationship between Eve and Roarke. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |

J.D. Robbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fontana, PedroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romaní, LolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The fatal gift of beauty -----Byron
Make me immortal with a kiss ----Christopher Marlowe
Getting married was murder.

A top model is dead--and the suspect is none other than Eve Dallas's best friend.

'She'd come to New York to be a cop, because she believed in order. Needed it to survive. She had taken control, had made herself into the person some anonymous social worker had named Eve Dallas'. But in a few weeks she won't just be Eve Dallas, lieutenant, homicide. She'll be Roarke's wife. But Eve's wedding plans may have to be put on hold as her private and professional lives collide... The victim in her latest murder investigation is one of the most sought-after women in the world. A top model who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted - even another woman's man. And Eve's chief suspect is the other woman in this fatal love triangle - her best friend Mavis. Putting her job on the line to head the investigation, Eve discovers that the world of high fashion thrives on an all-consuming passion for youth and fame. One that leads from the runway to the dark underworld of New York City where drugs can fulfil any desire - for a price...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425153789, Mass Market Paperback)

She was one of the most sought-after women in the world. A top model who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted -- even another woman's man. And now she was dead, the victim of a brutal murder. Police lieutenant Eve Dallas put her professional life on the line to take the case when suspicion fell on her best friend, the other woman in the fatal love triangle. Beneath the facade of glamour, Eve found that the world of high fashion thrived on an all-consuming passion for youth and fame. One that led from the runway to the dark underworld of New York City where drugs could fulfill any desire -- for a price . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:26 -0400)

When a top model is murdered, police lieutenant Eve Dallas discovers that the world of high fashion thrives on an all-consuming obsession for youth and fame. One that leads from the runway to the dark underworld of New York City, where drugs can be found to fulfill any desire--for any price. J.D. Robb is the pseudonym of New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible