We came all the way from Cuba so you could dress like this? (1998)

by Achy Obejas

Achy Obejas writes stories about uprooted people. Some, like herself, are Latino immigrants and lesbians; others are men (gay and straight), people with AIDS, addicts, people living marginally, just surviving. As omniscient narrator to her characters' lives, Obejas generously delves into her own memories of exile and alienation to tell stories about women and men who struggle for wholeness and love.… (more)

In this collection of seven stories, we hear from, among others, an addict, a man dying from AIDS with a married sex partner who is certain he can't gets AIDS because he is not gay, and a ten-year-old girl who just arrived in 1960's Miami from Cuba. As another review notes, these stories bring the marginalized front and center. No forced closure or cliched answers are to be found here. Each story is amazing and honestly told. This book is an exquisite find. ( )
  MissyAnn | Apr 7, 2010 |
Who could resist a book with a title like this? Not me. And I'm so glad I didn't. This was my introduction to Achy Obejas' work, other than reviews and columns for the Chicago Tribune. Cuban-born, Obejas came to this country as a young girl and was raised in Chicago. Like all writers, her life, as the daughter of immigrants, as a woman who loves women, as a struggling writer, becomes fodder for her work. She molds it well. Funny, sentimental, angry, all the things life makes you, are here.
2 vote lilithcat | Oct 16, 2005 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,358,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible