Songs of Innocence and of Experience by…

Songs of Innocence and of Experience (1789)

by William Blake

English (19)  Spanish (1)  All languages (20)
Despite their age, these poems really sing to me: "Get with child a mandrake root...." ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
First of all, I would like to state in my defense that I picked up this slim volume days before I started freaking out about getting to 50 books by any means necessary. Ever since I catalogued my poetry shelf, I've been making an effort to get more of it read. Plus, in the story currently in my head, I'm a teacher, leading a unit on poetry. And apparently now I'm doing research for the stories I tell myself on long walks and as I fall asleep.

Yes? Well, okay. I don't know exactly what I was expecting when I first picked this up, but it certainly wasn't the poems I found in Songs of Innocence. This first volume is so excessively sweet, devoid of any hint of adult cynicism, that I felt a bit unmoored, and it actually took me days to work my way through them. It wasn't until I made it into Songs of Experience and heard the call and response between volumes that everything fell into place. Each side is illuminated and brought into relief by the other.

This volume contains what must surely be one of the most famous poems in the English language -- "The Tyger," which somehow I think I had never previously read in its entirety, though certainly I have seen its opening lines quoted often enough. Myself, I prefer "the Little Vagabond."

Worth its reputation after all, I'd have to say. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
I like Blake´s poetry but not his content. The structure, the rhythm and rhyme, the length of the poems I enjoyed; the subject matter, especially in the Songs of Innocence was too much 'little lamb of God' for my tastes.

That said, this book is very short and does contain some treasures - most notably The Tiger - so I would recommend it to anyone who, like myself, is trying to acquire some knowledge of poetry. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-gI
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-gI ( )
  Saretta.L | Mar 31, 2013 |
Introduction

"Never before surely was a man so literally the author of his own book." - Alexander Gilchrist
Piping down the valleys wild,

Piping songs of pleasant glee,
He who mocks the Infants Faith

Shall be mock'd in the Age & Death

He who shall teach the Child of Doubt

The rotting Grave shall neer get out (E492)
Blake claims that all religious beliefs, however various, have a common origin in the "Poetic Genius" (E1), the godlike spirit within all people.
A note that Blake wrote in his manuscript of "The Four Zoas" also cautions us against dismissing innocence as naivete: "Innocence dwells with Wisdom but never with Ignorance" (E697).

This version of Blake's "Songs", edited by Robert N. Essick, presents Blake's 54 colour plates from "Innocence" and "Experience" along with an Introduction, transcription and extensive commentaries by Essick as he worked from the Huntington's copy E of the "Songs" commissioned by Thomas Butts in 1806. See below: Description (ISBN 0873282361)
Visionary, artist, poet and craftsman, William Blake had a unique view of the world around him. At the age of eight he saw 'a tree filled with angels,' and his perception of beauty in a paradisiacal arcadia shines from every naïve watercolour line of his paintings. Addressed to children, his poems are still loved today - 'Little Lamb who made thee/ Dost thou know who made thee' ('Lamb').

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192810898, Paperback)

Here is a beautifully illustrated edition of Blake's classic poems. The text of each poem is given in letterpress on the page facing the color plate, and a brief commentary by Sir Geoffrey Keynes on each poem follows. It is printed on paper especially manufactured to match the tint of that used by Blake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:45 -0400)

William Blake, the artist, writer and Romantic visionary who went largely unrecognised during his lifetime, is now hailed as one of Britain's greatest creative geniuses. The Songs of Innocence and of Experience contain some of Blake's best loved poems and form a stirring, poignant reflection on the range of human experience.Poetry.… (more)

University of California Press

An edition of this book was published by University of California Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,660,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible