The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams

The Velveteen Rabbit (original 1922; edition 1999)

by Margery Williams, William Nicholson (Illustrator)

Member:amyandroland
Title:The Velveteen Rabbit
Authors:Margery Williams
Other authors:William Nicholson (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1999), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 40 pages

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams (1922)

Recently added byprivate library, amanda.adgate, minniebunny, Pagesturn, HilltopPreschool78, OlyviaT, edenskip
Legacy LibrariesEdward St. John Gorey

English (200)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (202)
This is another book that either my mom read to me or I read to myself as a kid. I loved this book so much when I was younger that I had a Velveteen Rabbit stuffed animal that I slept with. I even went to a play that was based on The Velveteen Rabbit with some friends when I was younger. Therefore, I decided to read it again to see if I still had the same appreciation for it as I did when I was younger. After reading it again, I have to say I continue to have the same appreciation and love for this story as I did when I was a kid. It is a story that is so sweet and so fun to read. Like Goodnight Moon, I feel as though this one of those stories that is also classic and timeless for young kids to read, no matter the era they are growing up in. ( )
  cconsolian | Nov 29, 2018 |
"There was once a velveteen rabbit, and in the beginning he was really splendid. He was fat and bunchy, as a rabbit should be; his coat was spotted brown and white; he had real thread whiskers, and his ears were lined with pink sateen."

I can't believe I have never read this magical children's book before. The writing is delightful, the illustrations wonderful. ( )
1 vote Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I cannot read this book without crying. Such a beautiful story about love, growing up, sadness, and happy endings. ( )
  Silvia_rubicula | Oct 8, 2018 |
I read this when I was very small and could never get the story out of my head. It's sad and wonderful. Read it with a tissue at hand. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
This is one of my absolute favorites. I recently shared this book with my son and I was so glad that be also loved it. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Sep 2, 2018 |

Miles, ElizabethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nicholson, WiliamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindler, S.D.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Francesco Bianco from The Velveteen Rabbit
There was once a Velveteen Rabbit, and in the beginning he was really splendid.
This is the original full-length story. Do not combine with abridged or adapted versions of the book.

Using fluid clay animation, THE VELVETEEN RABBIT is an adaptation of the classic children's book by Margery Williams. The Velveteen Rabbit is a stuffed toy, and is the favored object of his owner, a young boy. However, the more modern, mechanical toys hold him in contempt, and the Rabbit's only friend among the playthings is the Skin Horse, who has managed to become real. As the Skin Horse explains the mystery of how to become real to the Rabbit, a fable about the transformative power of love and imagination reveals itself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380002558, Paperback)

A stuffed toy rabbit (with real thread whiskers) comes to life in Margery Williams's timeless tale of the transformative power of love. Given as a Christmas gift to a young boy, the Velveteen Rabbit lives in the nursery with all of the other toys, waiting for the day when the Boy (as he is called) will choose him as a playmate. In time, the shy Rabbit befriends the tattered Skin Horse, the wisest resident of the nursery, who reveals the goal of all nursery toys: to be made "real" through the love of a human. "'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'" This sentimental classic--perfect for any child who's ever thought that maybe, just maybe, his or her toys have feelings--has been charming children since its first publication in 1922. (A great read-aloud for all ages, but children ages 8 and up can read it on their own.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:07 -0400)

By the time the velveteen rabbit is dirty, worn out, and about to be burned, he has almost given up hope of ever finding the magic called Real.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,728,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible