The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a…

The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller

by John Truby

Although a bit repetitive at some point, “The Anatomy of Story” is a great book.
I've never read anything on this subject, so I can't compare it to alternatives. But something tells me I don't need to :)

If you want clear, right to the point, technical but still passionate and beautiful guide on what makes a story work (and what doesn't), this is the book for you. But beware: it has so-o-o many spoilers... ( )
  tenacious_nixie | Jan 6, 2015 |
Going to try actually working through the exercises this time...
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Such an enlightening book. Every other book I have read on writing seems superficial now compared to this expert analysis of storytelling techniques. ( )
  hanawilliams | Jul 30, 2014 |
This book is a solid guide to formulaic story structure. Of course, as much as it claims to break from the "stale and formulaic" three-act structure, it also creates a whole new form of potential "stale and formulaic" structure that will help the reader create excellent stories, that all feel exactly the same.

As I was reading, there were several times where I thought the ideas Truby discusses are excellent, but a little stilting if the reader follows each and every step as if it is gospel. The real trick is to read this book, learn what it has to teach you, then use only as much as you feel you need for each story you write.

There's a textbook feel to Truby's book, especially with the writing exercises at the end of each chapter, but this was the first book on writing that I've read where the exercises didn't feel mandatory, or even necessary.

Definitely worth reading to help yourself improve as a writer and storyteller. ( )
1 vote regularguy5mb | Jun 12, 2013 |
A little textbook-y and hard work, but a very rewarding method for considering every aspect of a story. ( )
  annemlanderson | Mar 31, 2013 |
To Jack and Amy
Everyone can tell a story. We do it every day. "You won't believe what happened at work." Or "Guess what I just did!" Or "A guy goes into a bar..." We see, hear, read, and tell thousands of stories in our lives.

John Truby is one of the most respected and sought-after story consultants in the film industry, and his students have gone on to pen some of Hollywood's most successful films, including Sleepless in Seattle, Scream, and ShrekThe Anatomy of Story is his long-awaited first book, and it shares all of his secrets for writing a compelling script. Based on the lessons in his award-winning class, Great Screenwriting, The Anatomy of Story draws on a broad range of philosophy and mythology, offering fresh techniques and insightful anecdotes alongside Truby's own unique approach for how to build an effective, multifaceted narrative. Truby's method for constructing a story is at once insightful and practical, focusing on the hero's moral and emotional growth. As a result, writers will dig deep within and explore their own values and worldviews in order to create an effective story. Writers will come away with an extremely precise set of tools to work with--specific, useful techniques to make the audience care about their characters, and that make their characters grow in meaningful ways. They will construct a surprising plot that is unique to their particular concept, and they will learn how to express a moral vision that can genuinely move an audience.

The foundations of story that Truby lays out are so fundamental they are applicable--and essential--to all writers, from novelists and short-story writers to journalists, memoirists, and writers of narrative non-fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:44 -0400)

The arts.John Truby is one of the most sought-after story consultants in the film industry; his students have gone on to pen some of Hollywood's most successful films, including Sleepless in Seattle, and Shrek. This long-awaited first book shares all his secrets for writing a compelling script. The Anatomy of Story draws on a broad range of philosophy and mythology, offering fresh techniques and insightful anecdotes alongside Truby's own unique approach for how to build an effective, multifaceted narrative. Truby's method for constructing a story is at once insightful and practical, and as a result, writers will dig deep within and explore their own values and worldviews in order to create an effective story.Screen Writing.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,157,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible