A Quiet Belief in Angels by R.J. Ellory

A Quiet Belief in Angels (original 2007; edition 2008)

by R.J. Ellory

Member:phoebesmum
Title:A Quiet Belief in Angels
Authors:R.J. Ellory
Info:Orion (2008), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 396 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:fiction, to oxfam it goes

A Quiet Belief in Angels by R.J. Ellory (2007)

English (33)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (35)
READ IN DUTCH

I loved the title and had planned to read this book for some time before I actually got to it.

I liked the story it self, for me it was a nice detective. Young girls are murdered in a small community, Joseph gets obsessed to solve the case and find the murderer. It had all the elements of a good thriller. I liked reading it.

But what I like most about these novels is the writing. I really like his style, it doesn't feel like you're reading a thriller when you look at the writing - it feels good. And I thought it has a wonderful title!

I've read multiple books by RJ Ellory, but I believe this is my favourite. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Le roman policier le plus pourri de toute l'histoire de ce genre! Une histoire longue qui se traîne. Des prises de tête inutiles du personnage principal pour une résolution finale brutale et "out of the blue". Théoriquement, un bon roman policier permet au lecteur de se faire une idée du meurtrier et là... on est dans le flou artistique le plus total. Une bonne occasion prise par l'auteur pour faire semblant de réfléchir à la condition humaine: "Dans quel état j'ère?" ( )
  Lhiscock | Oct 27, 2013 |
This book tells the story of Joseph Vaughn, who lost his father in when he was twelve, living on a farm near a small town in Georgia at the very beginning of the Second World War. Later that year, the first girl is murdered. A Quiet Belief in Angels spans over three decades, some in more detail than others, telling the story of Joseph's difficult life and the way the murders haunt him. R.J. Ellory writes in an elaborate style that suits the time period and the narrator's own complex and confused view of events. This is an event-packed novel, including a monstrous serial killer, a coming of age story, a vivid description of a place and time, madness, false imprisonment, fame, love and retribution, it nonetheless loses its forward momentum a few times along the way. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Apr 7, 2013 |
Author used sock puppetry to bash and bully other authors and write astonishling glowing reviews of his own books.

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
Opgedragen aan Truman Capote (1924-1984)
Het geluid van pistoolschoten, als brekende botten.
Wat we ons herinneren uit onze jeugd zullen we ons altijd herinneren - blijvende geesten, in ons geheugen gegrift, onuitwisbaar, ingeprent, eeuwig zichtbaar

Cynthia Ozick

In 1930s Georgia, 12 year-old Joseph Vaughan hears of the brutal murder of a young girl, the first of a series of killings that will take ten lives in the subsequent decade. Compelled by fear and duty, Joseph and his friends establish The Guardians, a group of children determined to protect the people of Augusta Falls.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,375,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible