Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to…

Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific (1957)

by Robert Leckie

English (14)  Swedish (1)  All languages (15)
No matter which war, the most colorful stories from veterans are about the fun they had after hours, on R&R, or when they should have been working. Leckie is no exception to this rule. He gives all of his experiences, on and off duty, equal weight, but the depictions of combat read more like literary journalism -- densely-packed sentences where all the details are provided in lyrical abundance, but you have to work to picture the experience -- whereas the drunken shenanigans are effortlessly easy to follow. By the end of the book you have gotten to know Leckie and really like him, but you wish the combat chapters had been fleshed out more. Nevertheless, this is a priceless first-hand account of Marines in the Pacific. ( )
  read.to.live | Jun 28, 2014 |
Good story but, I gotta admit, "With the Old Breed" was a better all around story. They are similar stories but this guy seems like he's always trying to get away with something... that's fine - it's his story - but not all that interesting. Worth a read, though, if you're like me and like to get your hands on any and all war stories. ( )
  marshapetry | Feb 8, 2014 |
An excellent page turner that I could not put down. Leckie spends a good deal of the book chronicling his training at Parris Island and New River. Through his eyes, we enjoy the many characters he met while training and with whom he fought his battles against the Japanese and the military establishment. Bloody battles at Guadalcanal, New Britain, and Peleliu are vividly described as is the R & R he spent in Melbourne, Australia. This is one of the memoirs upon which the TV series, The Pacific, is based. ( )
  lamour | Jan 2, 2013 |
As a former Vietnam era Marine, I've always been fascinated by the history of WWI. This is an amazing, well written book that keeps the reader engrossed through out the entire length. Loved it! ( )
  coffyman | May 5, 2012 |
I like some others wanted to watch the HBO miniseries THE PACIFIC that was based on books HELMET FOR MY PILLOW by Robert Leckie AND WITH THIS OLD BREED by E.B.Sledge after I had read the books first.

To be honest I kept asking myself "where was Leckie's editor?". He would use a certain phase or word every few pages and you knew you would see it again (and again) shortly. It was a very sing song type of writing that I found distracting to the story being told.

I'm not discounting this man's courage in the slightest just offering an opinion.

I was glad I read it before seeing the series. ( )
1 vote Prograde | Apr 20, 2012 |

Robert Leckieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lau, TomCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Those Who Fell
A cutting wind slanted up Church Street in the cheerless dawn of January 5, 1942.

Here is one of the most riveting first-person accounts ever to come out of World War II. Robert Leckie enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in January 1942, shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. In Helmet for My Pillow we follow his odyssey, from basic training on Parris Island, South Carolina, all the way to the raging battles in the Pacific, where some of the war’s fiercest fighting took place. Recounting his service with the 1st Marine Division and the brutal action on Guadalcanal, New Britain, and Peleliu, Leckie spares no detail of the horrors and sacrifices of war, painting an unvarnished portrait of how real warriors are made, fight, and often die in the defense of their country.

From the live-for-today rowdiness of marines on leave to the terrors of jungle warfare against an enemy determined to fight to the last man, Leckie describes what war is really like when victory can only be measured inch by bloody inch. Woven throughout are Leckie’s hard-won, eloquent, and thoroughly unsentimental meditations on the meaning of war and why we fight. Unparalleled in its immediacy and accuracy, Helmet for My Pillow will leave no reader untouched. This is a book that brings you as close to the mud, the blood, and the experience of war as it is safe to come.

Now producers Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, and Gary Goetzman, the men behind Band of Brothers, have adapted material from Helmet for My Pillow for HBO’s epic miniseries The Pacific, which will thrill and edify a whole new generation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:13 -0400)

Leckie provides one of the most riveting first-person accounts ever to come out of WWII. Follow his odyssey, from basic training to the raging battles in the Pacific.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,157,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible