Trace by Patricia Cornwell

Trace (2004)

by Patricia Cornwell

Series: Kay Scarpetta (13)

English (26)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |
This is the last Scarpetta novel I'm ever going to read. I wish I'd stopped several books ago when she started bringing characters back from the dead soap opera style. The early books were great yarns but somewhere along the line Cornwell started phoning it in. ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
It’s been years since I’ve picked up a Kay Scarpetta novel, but Patricia Cornwell has the fantastic knack for keeping the characters familiar, no matter how much time has passed or what events have taken place in the intervening books. Things happen in one book that change who the characters are in the following books, how they think and behave, but it’s easy to fall right back into their lives. Cornwell fills in the necessary information without tedious spoon-feeding.

In Trace, Kay Scarpetta is called back to Richmond, VA after 5 years to assist in an investigation; for which the current Chief Medical Examiner is none-too-happy about. The teen death that Kay is investigating has unusual ties to the accidental death of a construction worker at the demolition site of Kay’s former coroner office. And then evidence ties the suspect, a former employee of Kay’s, to a stalking case Lucy (Kay’s niece) is investigating in Florida; her own stalker.

Like every Scarpetta novel, I enjoyed the mystery involved in this one. Unlike others I have read, this one had more emotion; Kay hating the new Chief Medical Examiner, Marino desiring Kay and despising himself for it, and Lucy bitter for choices she has made. I wish there had been more suspense, more twisting turns, and more leading clues. I was left unsatisfied. I feel as if several threads were left unexplained. Like why was everyone getting sick? Or what does the reoccurring eye drawing mean? I’m okay with things not always being neat and tidy. But if it was a theme that was important enough to reoccur, then I would like to understand why.
Overall though, it was an entertaining and quick read. I think I’ll pick up another one. Made me miss Kay Scarpetta’s adventures. ( )
  storeyonastory | Jul 5, 2012 |
This book started slowly and I found it very disjointed as it bounced between Henri and Benton in Aspen, Lucy and Rudi - and the random Edgar Allan Pogue bits as Marino and Kaye worked on the Paulsson case. But then it started to get good. I get a little tired of Marino sleeping with the vics/families as a replacement for Scarpetta, but I guess it worked. Just as it started to get good, it was rushed toward the end and I didn't get the point in wasting time on Lucy/Henri's non reunion. Not sure what I think of this series with scarpetta out of the ME's office but we'll see ( )
  skinglist | Dec 24, 2011 |

Patricia Cornwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ligterink, YolandeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ruth and Billy Graham. I know no others like you, and I love you.
My thanks to Julia Cameron for guiding me along the Artist's Way.
To Charlie and Marty.
All of you make it possible.
Yellow bulldozers hack earth and stone in an old city block that has seen more death than most modern wars, and Kay Scarpetta slows her rental SUV almost to a stop.
wird mit Trace verwechselt...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425204200, Mass Market Paperback)

Now freelancing from south Florida, Dr. Kay Scarpetta returns to Richmond, Virginia, the city that turned its back on her five years ago. Investigating the death of a young girl, she must follow the twisting leads and track the strange details in order to make the dead speak-and to reveal the sad truth that may be more than even she can bear.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:58 -0400)

Dr. Kay Scarpetta returns to Richmond, Virginia from freelancing in South Florida at the request of the recently appointed Chief Medical Examiner to solve the murder of a 14-year-old girl, but she finds that nothing is as she left it. Her former lab is being demolished; the chief isn't really the one who requested her; her former assistant chief has has personal problems that he refuses to reveal; and a glamorous FBI agent meddles with the case.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible