The Hand That Trembles by Kjell Eriksson

The Hand That Trembles (2007)

by Kjell Eriksson

Series: Ann Lindell (8)

2092655,966 (3.25)9

English (25)  Swedish (2)  All (27)
It made a change to read a (very) slow paced crime novel. This is a very sombre mix of four stories (including the lead character's own) which starts incredibly slowly and gradually speeds up to moderate pace. This is definitely not a gripping read but it held my interest, albeit a bit loosely at times.
The UK publication of Scandinavian crime novels seems to be a bit random; according to the Good Reads titles this is the eighth book in the Insp. Ann Liddell series, but the first to be published here. This means there is a lot of her back story we are missing and the interplay between the police team is not really clear.
I picked up three of the series together at a bargain price and will probably get around to reading the others at some point, but I find myself having to ration my intake of "Scandi-noir" for fear of getting dragged down into the slough of despond from which so many seem to be drawn. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
So this is a Swedish detective novel. Slow start but it picked up and ended well. Great use of the stark Swedish gestalt of land, sea, and outlook. Didn't expect at least part of the ending. I am back and forth about the use of India but it was a good contrast to sweden. Will definitely read another KE book and will put Uppsala on the list. ( )
  JBreedlove | Jun 7, 2015 |
This is my first book by this author. Mankell has me reading Swedish mysteries. It was good but not great. Lots going on and a long way in before the plot strands started connecting. I will read another in this series to see how it compares. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 27, 2013 |
Like the rest of Eriksson's Ann Lindell series, this one starts slow but builds powerfully. The descriptions of nature are compelling, as is the characterization -- various characters who play essentially the same role are sharply differentiated. Not recommended for those who look for a compulsive read from page one of a crime novel, but very good for those who like to watch things unfold gradually. ( )
  annbury | Jan 1, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a hard time with this one. It was interesting enough when I was reading it, but as soon as I put it down, I never found myself picking it back up. In fact, I started it nearly a year ago, and only just finished it now because I realized I needed to review it for Early Reviewers and it's been ages since I started it, and it felt wrong to leave it unfinished for so long. I'm also not good at DNF'ing (i.e., giving up entirely on a book). I'm bummed because I really wanted to enjoy this one, and it was interesting when I actually was reading, but I just didn't feel invested in the story or characters so that when I put it down, it stayed on the shelf and didn't call to me to be picked up again. I did finish it, and the writing was not bad, so perhaps I'll try another of Kjell Eriksson's books at a later time and see if it goes better. ( )
  crazylilcuban | Jul 1, 2012 |

Eriksson, Kjellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Han var utskickad för att plocka in några pinnar.

Years after the mysterious disappearance of a Swedish county commissioner, a veteran police officer stumbles on a seemingly unrelated case while Ann Lindell investigates the murder of a woman in a housing development populated by single men.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kjell Eriksson's book The Hand That Trembles was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,078,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible