Lush Life by Richard Price

Lush Life (2008)

by Richard Price

English (70)  French (3)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (75)
Good description & dialogue, some pacing issues: I am an avid reader of mysteries, paranormal and romance, with a little so-called serious fiction and non-fiction thrown in. I tried, but couldn't get into this book, so I handed it over to my husband. He very much enjoys some sci-fi, but also loved, for example, the book Homicide: Life on the Street. Lush Life seemed more in that vein.

My husband definitely gave it 4 out of 5 stars. He said that the author certainly knows how to set a scene, the dialogue is spot on, and he can make you identify with the characters - even the ones you'd prefer not to identify with.

However, he found some problems with the pacing. I quote, "It's going along fine, and then, well, it's not." Apparently the great descriptions at some points will get in the way of the actual plot.

All in all, though, he would recommend it for fans of gritty street style novels.
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |
Brilliant but very harsh dialogue. Very fun to read. ( )
  jpackham | Dec 4, 2013 |
This is the first novel I read by Price. I would put this one on the level of No Country for Old Men. On its surface it's a standard police procedural, but we get a very real view into the lives of the cops in New York City. Everyone feels a little evil and a little good. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |
I thought this book read like an episode of the Wire, which makes sense since Price wrote for the tv series. I like the Wire, but I wasn't crazy about the book. I finished it, but I had a really hard time getting through the last 50 pages or so, which is unusual. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and there wasn't much of a plot. ( )
  sharwass | Apr 25, 2013 |
Listening to this audiobook is analogous to looking out a window with Venetian blinds and outside, is NYC. The language is shuttered too, completely reflecting the characters without being verbose. The narrator has a rich voice and an ear for the cadence and vocabulary. Character differentiation isn't great, but the strength of the writing takes care of that. Within a few seconds or a few words, setting and characters are quickly established, as well as the immediacy of the plot. It's a realistically presented view of NYC and for those who don't groove on urban tales, this may not be a good pick. Also, there's a lot of slang that may be even more alien than a British accent for those who may have issues negotiating anything other than a neutral American voice. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Apr 4, 2013 |
As always, with love for
Judy, Annie, and Gen
The Quality of Life Task Force: four sweatshirts in a bogus taxi set up on the corner of Clinton Street alongside the Williamsburg Bridge off-ramp to profile the incoming salmon run; their mantra: Dope, guns, overtime; their motto: Everyone's got something to lose.
original title: Lush Life

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374299250, Hardcover)

Amazon Significant Seven, March 2008: No one has a better ear and eye for the American city than Richard Price, and in Lush Life, his first novel in five years, he leaves the fictional environs of Dempsy, New Jersey, where Clockers, Freedomland, and Samaritan were set, for a few crowded blocks of Manhattan's Lower East Side. There's a crime at the heart of the story, but you don't read Price for plot. Instead, you listen as he peels apart layers of class and history through the way his characters talk to each other: hipster bartenders who tell people they're really writers, homeboys from housing projects named after the Jewish immigrants who have long left the neighborhood, and cops, cops, cops, circling the streets looking for a collar, disappearing into their cases as their own lives go to ruin. --Tom Nissley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:14 -0400)

In this first-rate police procedural, Eric Cash, the 34-year-old bartender at Caf‚e Berkmann and a would-be screenwriter, ends up in jail as a murder suspect and it's up to two New York City police detectives to find out the truth.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,698,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible