Het verslag van Brodeck by Philippe Claudel

Het verslag van Brodeck (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Philippe Claudel

Member:KrisM
Title:Het verslag van Brodeck
Authors:Philippe Claudel
Info:Amsterdam De Bezige Bij 2009
Collections:Recent gelezen, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:gelezen in 2012, gelezen, maand december, p300-399, Frans, Duitsland

Brodeck's Report by Philippe Claudel (2007)

English (17)  Dutch (11)  French (8)  Spanish (7)  German (1)  English (44)
Very powerful novel - almost fairy-tale like - about a European village after WWII told from the perspective of a man who has returned from a concentration camp. Spooky and sad, but beautifully written and very thought-provoking. Shades of Kafka, Coetzee, and Durenmatt's The Visit.
Claudel is the writer and director of I Have loved You So Long. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Actually 3.5 stars. I reserved this book months ago from the library and now that I finally got it, I can't remember why I reserved it. It took me quite a while to get into it but in the end I really liked it. It is set in a European village after "a great war" and told the story of what happened to Brodeck and his village because of the war and the fears created by the war. It's hard to explain what it's really about. I would say it is a fairly dark story that takes a while to come together, but in the end comes together in a quite disturbing and depressing way. With every turn of events I just found myself wondering how humanity can be so cruel and fearful of outsiders and differences. Not exactly an uplifting read, but interesting and well written. ( )
  beckyface | Nov 22, 2015 |
Uncertainty is a major theme of Claudel's novel, which is both fable-like and documentary in style. While it is concerned with difference and intolerance as abstract, universal themes, Brodeck's Report is also a historical novel about a camp survivor (Brodeck) and the effect of Nazism on a specific place, assumed to be a German dialect-speaking part of Alsace Lorraine.
added by kidzdoc | editThe Guardian, Giles Foden (Mar 21, 2009)

“La estupidez es una enfermedad que casa con el miedo. Una y otro se alimentan mutuamente, creando una gangrena que sólo pide propagarse…” Philippe Claudel
Apenas acabada la guerra, una muerte rompe la tranquilidad de un pequeño pueblo perdido en las montañas. El único extranjero del lugar, que un día llego al pueblo, vestido a la antigua, con gran lujo y acompañado de un caballo y un asno, a quien llaman Der Anderer —el Otro, en alemán—, ha sido asesinado y todos los hombres de la localidad se confiesan autores del crimen. Todos menos Brodeck.
Esta historia no constata la realidad de los hechos, pues los testigos, abren a sus ojos diferentes puntos de vista, que la camuflan, para hacerla torpe, innoble y ciertamente falsa.
added by esabateq | editshvoong.com

Philippe Claudelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cullen, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sarkar, ManikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm nothing, I know it, but my nothing comprises a little bit of everything. - Victor Hugo, The Rhine
For all those who think they're nothing

For my wife and my daughter, without whom I wouldn't be much
I'm Brodeck and I had nothing to do with it.

When a stranger with unusual manners is murdered for his unflattering and insightful illustrations, a government report writer and concentration camp survivor writes an official, whitewashed account of the incident while secretly penning the truth in a parallel narrative.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,721,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible