INFORME DE BRODECK, EL by Philippe Claudel

INFORME DE BRODECK, EL (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Philippe Claudel

Member:TERTULIA
Title:INFORME DE BRODECK, EL
Authors:Philippe Claudel
Info:Unknown (2009), Edición: 1st., Perfect Paperback
Tags:2013-1

Brodeck's Report by Philippe Claudel (2007)

Dutch (12)  English (10)  French (8)  Spanish (6)  German (1)  All languages (37)
Not on Audio. Recommended in The Week 18Jan14. At the end of the Second World War, an unassuming stranger arrives in a hamlet in German-speaking Alsace. Three months later, he is savagely murdered. Brodeck is commissioned by the villagers to write a report – and finds himself lifting the rock on a writhing tangle of worms.
  decore | Jan 25, 2014 |
A remarkable book, an allegorical fable that reads at times like Kafka and at times like Primo Levi. It clearly depicts the Holocaust in Central Europe, notwithstanding the somewhat thin veneer of a quasi-mythical setting outside of any particular time or place. The narrator has a combination of naivete, sophistication, insight, and apathy that is memorable. And perhaps the most memorable scene of dead horses since Anna Karenina. Overall highly recommended. ( )
  jasonlf | Aug 2, 2011 |
This book begins as quietly as a whisper, albeit with a murder, and I almost thought it was going to be boring. But the author so cleverly peels away layer after layer of the facade of the idyllic mountain village in which this novel is set, that I was stunned by the rotten core ultimately revealed.

Brodeck has just returned to the village after surviving an unnamed war in a horrific prison camp. He endured the dangers and degradations of his internment by focusing on his beloved wife Amelia back in the village. Shortly after his return, the 'Anderer' (the Other) arrives in the village. It is the murder of the Anderer that occurs in the opening pages of the novel, and Brodeck is required to write an official report to explain the 'Ereignies', 'a curious word, full of mists and ghosts; it means more or less, 'the thing that happened,'...a word to describe the indescribable.'

This book is a fable about how and why people do evil things; it is about the innate fear of the unknown, even the unknown within ourselves, and it is about remembering, not forgetting. ( )
1 vote arubabookwoman | Jun 29, 2011 |
Is collaboration in wartime an act of self-preservation or an opportunity to let out one’s secret distrust of The Other? Is collusion a collective, social act or a collection of single, personal decisions? How do you live with betrayal?

These are some of the questions explored in Philippe Claudel’s book, Brodeck’s Report. In a fairy tale village in the woods, a stranger has been murdered. Brodeck, a man recently returned from the camps, is asked to represent the village and write an official report of what occurred. At the same time, Brodeck writes a secret report, in his own voice, about what he learns and about his own life and the decisions he has made. The book begins:

I’m Brodeck and I had nothing to do with it.
I insist on that. I want everyone to know.
I had no part in it, and once I learned what had happened, I would have preferred never to mention it again, I would have liked to bind my memory fast and keep it that way, as subdued and still as a weasel in an iron trap.
But the others forced me.

From the first lines, before the reader even knows what has happened, she is asked to take sides. Is Brodeck innocent? Should some memories be allowed to fade away, or is there a moral imperative or human compulsion to share the truth?

I loved this book for the very ambiguity that makes the answers to these questions so difficult. In haunting imagery and beautiful language, Claudel leads Brodeck to the brink of the abyss and asks the reader to join him in looking in. A Holocaust novel without ever saying the words, Brodeck’s Report is easily one of the best books I’ve read this year, and I recommend it for its plot, its language, and most importantly for its ability to make me think. ( )
3 vote labfs39 | Jun 23, 2011 |
A mysterious, flamboyant character arrives at an isolated French village in the border with Germany shortly after the WWII has finished. He speaks little but observes everybody carefully and makes many notes in a book that he always carries with him. Although he is welcomed, little by little the villagers turn against him, the outsider, who acts as a mirror of themselves and their recent shameful history. Brodeck, a survivor of a concentration camp, is ordered to write a report on the events which culminate with the death of the outsider, whose name is never revealed. He tells the story in an oblique manner, while narrating his own life and that of those close to him. Claudel manages to write a very original novel on historical facts which have been the topic of much recent literature. Although the plot is grounded in clear historical events, the narration has an atemporal feeling, slightly dreamlike, like a fable. This is a thought provoking, poetic book. ( )
1 vote alalba | Jul 21, 2010 |
Uncertainty is a major theme of Claudel's novel, which is both fable-like and documentary in style. While it is concerned with difference and intolerance as abstract, universal themes, Brodeck's Report is also a historical novel about a camp survivor (Brodeck) and the effect of Nazism on a specific place, assumed to be a German dialect-speaking part of Alsace Lorraine.
added by kidzdoc | editThe Guardian, Giles Foden (Mar 21, 2009)

Philippe Claudelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sarkar, ManikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm nothing, I know it, but my nothing comprises a little bit of everything. - Victor Hugo, The Rhine
For all those who think they're nothing

For my wife and my daughter, without whom I wouldn't be much
I'm Brodeck and I had nothing to do with it.

When a stranger with unusual manners is murdered for his unflattering and insightful illustrations, a government report writer and concentration camp survivor writes an official, whitewashed account of the incident while secretly penning the truth in a parallel narrative.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,583,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible