Man and his Symbols by Carl Gustav Jung

Man and his Symbols (1964)

by Carl Gustav Jung

Other authors: Joseph L. Henderson (Contributor), Jolande Jacobi (Contributor), Aniela Jaffé (Contributor), Marie-Louise Von Franz (Contributor)

3,202111,739 (4.01)27

Più una copia edito da Longanesi, non illustrato,
  vecchiopoggi | Feb 12, 2016 |
Inspirado por um sonho do autor e concluído apenas dez dias antes de sua morte, este livro constitui uma tentativa de expor os princípios fundamentais da análise junguiana para o leitor, sem qualquer obrigatoriedade de conhecimento especializado de psicologia. Enriquecido por mais de 500 ilustrações, O Homem e Seus Símbolos, é um livro destinado a todos que se interessam pelo tema. ( )
  EduardoOliveira | May 23, 2012 |
This collection of essays was designed by Jung to introduce his work to lay people. Evidently all his other work is very technical.

I've long thought that Jungian psychology was at best an misguided effort to understand the role of culture on the individual and at worst a crock. Reading here about the analysis of the dreams of several women where the analyst steers them into roles determined for them by a masculine elite, I've decided it really is a crock.

If you still find meaning in 20th century psychological thinking and want to get your life to conform to a Western, middle class standard of "good," you will probably find a lot of interesting material in this book. Otherwise, give it a miss. ( )
3 vote aulsmith | Feb 7, 2012 |
"Man and His Symbols" is apparently Jung's only book for the layman and his "easiest" to understand. The pop psychology of Carl Jung is used frequently in science fiction and fantasy novels, especially older ones, so I appreciate the chance to get a handle on the basics of his philosophy. The illustrated edition is well laid-out and the pictures add a welcome dimension to the sometimes cumbersome text. Jung himself only wrote one of the essays in the book, however the others were written by his associates and he edited/approved the entire project.

I am not sure what to think of Jung. I grew weary of his constant diatribe against modern civilization, and his Rousseau-like desire for a return to nature. I do not agree with the philosophy that primitive man, who could not tell himself apart from the lion or bear, was our moral and spiritual superior. The animus/anima argument seemed to me little more than sexism and stereotyping. The argument that men are never ever waspish or sentimental or emotional and that they need to blame these "girly" attributes on a secret inner woman, or that a "woman" can only be strong because of a secret inner "man" seems like a concept firmly rooted in the sexist time period in which it was written.

Due to the still common prevalence of Jung's archetypes and philosophies on the unconscious mind in literature, I am glad that I read this so that I can both recognize and have a basic understanding of them. However, on their own I think the merit is debatable, though I do understand that this particular book just brushes the surface of Jung's theories on the archetypes and the unconscious mind. ( )
1 vote catfantastic | Dec 20, 2011 |
This ranks as one of the most interesting nonfiction books I've read. Jung's theories and capabilities to generalize across cultures and through time are nothing short of astounding.

Much of this information is so dense that it gave me the feeling of learning something and being influenced without being able to list out general principles.

The illustrations throughout help to strengthen the variety of arguements which are developed and the through-line of counterpoint with Freudian thought creates a nice synergy.
  DWallaceFleming | Dec 19, 2011 |
Poslednje mesece svog života Jung je posvetio uređivanju ovog dela koje je završio deset dana pre smrti. Čitavom ovom knjigom Jung naglašava kako čovek može da postigne potpunost samo spoznajom i prihvatanjem nesvesnog - spoznajom do koje se dolazi putem snova i njihovih simbola. Svaki san je neposredna, lična i smislena poruka snivaču - poruka koja koristi simbole zajednicke celom čovečanstvu, ali se uvek njima služi na sasvim individualan način, koji se može objasniti samo pomoću isključivo individualnog ključa.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Carl Gustav Jungprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henderson, Joseph L.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, JolandeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jaffé, AnielaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Von Franz, Marie-LouiseContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holmes, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man uses the spoken or written word to express the meaning of what he wants to convey.
Met grote helderheid ontwikkelt Jung in dit boek zijn basisideeën over het onbewuste, de mythen, symbolen, dromen en archetypen, terwijl enkele van zijn naaste medewekers de praktische uitwerking en toepassing behandelen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440351839, Mass Market Paperback)

Illustrated throughout with revealing images, this is the first and only work in which the world-famous Swiss psychologist explains to the layperson his enormously influential theory of symbolism as revealed in dreams.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Explores Jung's psychological concepts regarding the nature, function and importance of man's symbols as they appear on both the conscious and subconscious level.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible