Man and his Symbols by Carl Gustav Jung

Man and his Symbols (1964)

by Carl Gustav Jung, Joseph L. Henderson (Contributor), Jolande Jacobi (Contributor), Marie-Louise Von Franz (Contributor)

Other authors: Aniela Jaffé (Contributor)

Inspirado por um sonho do autor e concluído apenas dez dias antes de sua morte, este livro constitui uma tentativa de expor os princípios fundamentais da análise junguiana para o leitor, sem qualquer obrigatoriedade de conhecimento especializado de psicologia. Enriquecido por mais de 500 ilustrações, O Homem e Seus Símbolos, é um livro destinado a todos que se interessam pelo tema. ( )
  EduardoOliveira | May 23, 2012 |
This collection of essays was designed by Jung to introduce his work to lay people. Evidently all his other work is very technical.

I've long thought that Jungian psychology was at best an misguided effort to understand the role of culture on the individual and at worst a crock. Reading here about the analysis of the dreams of several women where the analyst steers them into roles determined for them by a masculine elite, I've decided it really is a crock.

If you still find meaning in 20th century psychological thinking and want to get your life to conform to a Western, middle class standard of "good," you will probably find a lot of interesting material in this book. Otherwise, give it a miss. ( )
2 vote aulsmith | Feb 7, 2012 |
"Man and His Symbols" is apparently Jung's only book for the layman and his "easiest" to understand. The pop psychology of Carl Jung is used frequently in science fiction and fantasy novels, especially older ones, so I appreciate the chance to get a handle on the basics of his philosophy. The illustrated edition is well laid-out and the pictures add a welcome dimension to the sometimes cumbersome text. Jung himself only wrote one of the essays in the book, however the others were written by his associates and he edited/approved the entire project.

I am not sure what to think of Jung. I grew weary of his constant diatribe against modern civilization, and his Rousseau-like desire for a return to nature. I do not agree with the philosophy that primitive man, who could not tell himself apart from the lion or bear, was our moral and spiritual superior. The animus/anima argument seemed to me little more than sexism and stereotyping. The argument that men are never ever waspish or sentimental or emotional and that they need to blame these "girly" attributes on a secret inner woman, or that a "woman" can only be strong because of a secret inner "man" seems like a concept firmly rooted in the sexist time period in which it was written.

Due to the still common prevalence of Jung's archetypes and philosophies on the unconscious mind in literature, I am glad that I read this so that I can both recognize and have a basic understanding of them. However, on their own I think the merit is debatable, though I do understand that this particular book just brushes the surface of Jung's theories on the archetypes and the unconscious mind. ( )
1 vote catfantastic | Dec 20, 2011 |
This ranks as one of the most interesting nonfiction books I've read. Jung's theories and capabilities to generalize across cultures and through time are nothing short of astounding.

Much of this information is so dense that it gave me the feeling of learning something and being influenced without being able to list out general principles.

The illustrations throughout help to strengthen the variety of arguements which are developed and the through-line of counterpoint with Freudian thought creates a nice synergy.
  DWallaceFleming | Dec 19, 2011 |
Substance: Jung and his compatriots explain his theories for the non-professional. I find the reasoning about dreams being messages from the subconscious to be circular, regardless of whether or not the theory itself is true. They also go to great lengths to avoid dragging God into the conversation, especially as a possible source of the dreams.
NOTES:
p.p. Jung's four criteria of types of human behavior: "sensation tells you that something exists; thinking telly you what it is; feeling tells you whether it is agreeable or not; and intuition tells you whence it comes and where it is going."
Analyst's mut honor the dreamer's own opinions."...it is more important in therapy for the patient to understand than for the analyst's theoretical expectations to be satisfied. The patient's resistance to the analysts' interpretation is not necessarily wrong; it is rather a sure sign that something does not "click." Either the patient has not yet reached the point where he understands, or the interpretation does not fit."
p. 85 (by ___) "The communits world...has one big myth... It is the time-hallowed archetypal dream of a Golden Age (or Paradise) where everything is provided in abundance for everyone, and a great, just, and wise chief rules over a human kindergarten....We even support it by our own childishness, for our Western civilization is in the grip of the same mythology...(do not say it too loudly) in the Kingdom of God on Earth."
--> the error is in the idea of elite rulers over kindergarteners; God wants us all to grow up and rule over ourselves in righteousness, which will bring about the desired Paradise without compulsion over others, because they are Grown-Ups as well.
"The sad truth is that man's real life consists of a complex of inexorable opposites -- day and night, birth and death, happiness and misery, good and evil. We are not even sure that one will prevail against the other, that good will overcome evil, or joy defeat pain. Life is a battlegrond. It alwasy has been, and always will be; and if it were not so, existence would come to an end."
--> see Alma et al.
p. 255 (by ___) on Nietzsche and Kandinsky, in re the "God is dead" expression of the "dreadful void" of Chirico. This metaphysical idea found expression in the 19th-century poets and 20th -century art. "The cleavage between modern art and Christianity was finally accomplished."
--> abetted by the Smithsonian, National Gallery of Art, NEA, etc.
p.308-309 (by___) parallels of psychology and physics: William James compared the idea of an unconscious to the field concept;
in re flashes of inspiration of scientists: "...our conscious representations are sometims ordered (or arranged in a pattern) before they become conscious to us."
--> Junginas believe that the primordial or collective unconscious contains information we don't consciously process, and so do our individual psyches. In what way would the above look different from genuine revelation or even ESP?
"...rather than ask why something happened (i.e., what caused it), Jung asked: What did it happen for?"
in re the parallelisms of ideas, Jung postulated a unitarian idea of reality "within which matter and psyche are not discriminate or separately actualized)."
--> "spirit is matter, only more refined" according to Joseph Smith ( )
  librisissimo | Jan 4, 2011 |
Poslednje mesece svog života Jung je posvetio uređivanju ovog dela koje je završio deset dana pre smrti. Čitavom ovom knjigom Jung naglašava kako čovek može da postigne potpunost samo spoznajom i prihvatanjem nesvesnog - spoznajom do koje se dolazi putem snova i njihovih simbola. Svaki san je neposredna, lična i smislena poruka snivaču - poruka koja koristi simbole zajednicke celom čovečanstvu, ali se uvek njima služi na sasvim individualan način, koji se može objasniti samo pomoću isključivo individualnog ključa.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Carl Gustav Jungprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henderson, Joseph L.Contributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, JolandeContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Von Franz, Marie-LouiseContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jaffé, AnielaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holmes, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man uses the spoken or written word to express the meaning of what he wants to convey.
Met grote helderheid ontwikkelt Jung in dit boek zijn basisideeën over het onbewuste, de mythen, symbolen, dromen en archetypen, terwijl enkele van zijn naaste medewekers de praktische uitwerking en toepassing behandelen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440351839, Mass Market Paperback)

Illustrated throughout with revealing images, this is the first and only work in which the world-famous Swiss psychologist explains to the layperson his enormously influential theory of symbolism as revealed in dreams.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:49 -0400)

Explores Jung's psychological concepts regarding the nature, function and importance of man's symbols as they appear on both the conscious and subconscious level.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible