Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll…

Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (original 1871; edition 1984)

by Lewis Carroll

Info:Alfred A. Knopf, New York;
Collections:Classics & Great Books, Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Read

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (1871)

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (SilentInAWay)
    SilentInAWay: Juster's witty wordplay is in the same league as Carroll's
    Reckless by Cornelia Funke (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Both books use a mirror as a portal to another world where everyday things and ideas become reversed and distorted.
    Gambit by Rex Stout (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books centered on a chess game

English (94)  Italian (1)  All (95)
I've been staying away from this book, I think it was because there was a made for TV movie based on this book that I saw as a kid, and it was rather scary....

However, this book is not scary at all, I was expecting more Jabberwocky, and outside of a poem, there was no mention of it all. Generally, this book is nonsensical, with flashes of logic. There is no rhyme or reason to what Alice does, its just nonsensical encounter after nonsensical encounter. This book doesn't have much of relation to the Alice in Wonderland, being set in a different game entirely.

I think I preffered the first book better than the second. In this book, Alice has no real reason for doing what she does, just that it happens.

Overall, its a fast read and rather enjoyable. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jan 7, 2017 |
Alice walks through a Mirror and sees what is on the other side. It is a living chess board. She makes her way across the board and becomes a Queen. Then she wakes up. Both of the Alice books were a bit more on the light side than I'd remembered. Not bad, just I remembered them as having more of a heft" than I found this time :-) Guess I am just getting old, hahaha." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I think i liked this one about as much as the last one. I didn't find Alice as annoying this time, which is nice.

*Review written on December 17, 2014.* ( )
  danaenicole | Nov 14, 2016 |
"Through the Looking Glass" was just as much of a pleasure and a puzzle as "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". I had not realized that many of the elements of the classic story we think of (thanks to Disney's retelling) are featured primarily throughout "Looking Glass." Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the Jabberwocky & Walrus and the Carpenter poems are first given here, as well as the talking flower bed. While I enjoyed the different take and elements to Carroll's sequel, I wasn't as big a fan of Alice's obvious dreaming. At times Alice mysteriously appears in a new location, or a character suddenly transforms into another character, just like in dreams. I think I much prefer the first adventure into Wonderland, where the characters and world are more grounded. "Looking Glass" was much more surreal and at times confusing, yet still delightful. ( )
1 vote JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
Warning: This review was written late at night, and consequently may contain many things that do not necessarily pertain to this book, or it's quality.
I think I liked this better than 'Alice in Wonderland' I don't know why really, but the books don't make sense, so I don't think my opinions of them should have to either. I will say that, much like Peter Pan, the writing is one of the things that really makes these books for me. Which is probably one of the reasons that I didn't really like either when I first read abridged versions*.
*For a long story/rant on how abridged children's books ruined my life, read the P.S.

P.S. You have no idea how much more sense my childhood makes now that I have read this book. To begin, you really have to go back to when I was about six. My family went on a trip to the beach. We camped, and I remember my Mom was pregnant and mostly stayed on the sand with my one(?) year old sister, while my older sister and I jumped over waves as they came in to the shore. Meanwhile my younger brother was off picking up dead jellyfish that looked like plastic bags, and all those sorts of boy things. It was the only time I've ever been to the beach, so of course I was sick for the last day or two. I specifically remember sitting on a fold-up chair, reading any of about a dozen abridged children's classics bought especially to help pass the driving time, and wallowing in self-pity, as I watched my siblings frolic about collecting sand dollars and seashells in a plastic bucket. During that trip I read 'Alice in Wonderland' for the first time, but being that the actual writing of Alice is one of the main charms, I didn't like it much. The next time I read it I was around eight, and had received another abridged copy from my uncle as a gift. I promptly read it, although I hadn't remembered liking it much, and was surprised to discover that, among other things, the "Shoes and ships and sealing wax" quote, which I thought I had read the first time, was nowhere to be found. I was also confused by the inexplicable absence of Tweedles Dee and Dum, and talking flowers, which I had seen many times in the movie at my grandparent's. Needless to say, I finished the book feeling unfulfilled, and wondering if I was crazy for remembering reading so many things in a book, that obviously hadn't happened. "Ah, well," I thought to myself, "maybe I dreamt it." (which was a surprisingly fitting thing to think, given the premise of the book.)
A few weeks ago, I read the original, unabridged version of Alice in Wonderland, because of the TV show 'Once Upon A Time in Wonderland' After all, I have a hard time watching movies or shows without reading the book first. It was much better this time around, although I did find myself wondering where the Tweedles, and talking flowers, and the Walrus and the Carpenter had come from. You know, wether they were a figment of Walt Disney's imagination, or found somewhere else. That's when I discovered 'Through the Looking Glass' Which I had always known existed, but never really knew wether it was an alternate name or a sequel, and hadn't cared enough to find out. The book does NOT take place in Wonderland by the way, and now it will forever bug me whenever a Wonderland in anything contains characters from this book. I mean, really, get it together. Sheesh. Anyway, what I have realized while reading this book, is that many people do condense 'Through the Looking Glass' into their adaptation of 'Alice in Wonderland' Which was what happened to the first Alice I read.

I don't think you understand.

I thought I was crazy for a very long time, because I distinctly remembered reading things in abridged books that, after reading the original, discovered hadn't ever happened.

This happened a lot.

How many abridged books with sequels have I read? How many books am I going to have to re-read, just so I can read the sequel in context? Why on earth did my first Alice not specify that it included things from the sequel?
On a positive note, I now know that my madness is a more recent development than I had previously thought. I also know that you are a very patient, and probably very bored person, if you have reached the end of this rather long history/tirade, and I apologize for airing my problems on the Internet, but I wrote this review late at night when it seemed fine to post it, so whatever. What's done is done is done is..... Well, I'm done anyway ( )
  theliteraryelephant | Aug 11, 2016 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a teacher's guide

One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it: -- it was the black kitten's fault entirely.
One can’t believe impossible things.

I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
This is an edition of "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there" only; please don't combine with copies that include other works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140620877, Paperback)

I had sent my heroine straight down a rabbit-hole ...without the least idea what was to happen afterwards,' wrote Charles Dodgson, describing how Alice was conjured up one 'golden afternoon' in 1862 to entertain his child-friend Alice Liddell. His dream worlds of nonsensical Wonderland and the back-to-front Looking-Glass kingdom depict order turned upside-down: a baby turns into a pig; time is abandoned at a disordered tea-party; and a chaotic game of chess makes a seven-year-old girl a Queen. But amongst the anarchic humour and sparkling word play, puzzles, paradoxes and riddles, are poignant moments of elegiac nostalgia for lost childhood. Startlingly original and experimental, the Alice books provide readers with a double window on both child and adult worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:58 -0400)

After climbing through the mirror in her room, Alice enters a world similar to a chess board where she experiences many curious adventures with its fantastic inhabitants.

Legacy Library: Lewis Carroll

Lewis Carroll has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Lewis Carroll's legacy profile.

See Lewis Carroll's author page.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628921, 0763642622

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010209X, 140010887X, 1400115752

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,652,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible