Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll…

Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (original 1871; edition 1984)

by Lewis Carroll

Info:Alfred A. Knopf, New York;
Collections:Classics & Great Books, Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Read

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (1871)

Reckless by Cornelia Funke (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Both books use a mirror as a portal to another world where everyday things and ideas become reversed and distorted.

English (62)  French (1)  All languages (63)
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
In this sequel to Alice in Wonderland, Alice goes through a mirror, meets the red and white queens, and becomes part of a life-sized chess game with very interesting and unusual characters. ( )
  pmlyayakkers | Jan 6, 2014 |
Nope, nope, nope, don't like it, can't like it, don't want to like it.

Well, actually, probably if I had a really good annotated edition and an in-depth class on it, I could learn to appreciate it. But Lewis Carroll's nonsense just drives me bonkers, and how I'm going to write my essay on this, I don't know. The books are very well done, considering the idea is that they're Alice's dreams (spoiler!) and they definitely manage dream logic very well, but that's not something I'm interested in reading.

I mean, my own dreams are annoying enough. I woke up from light sleep last night with these words in my head: 'Are you going to take this seriously, or are you a doughnut?' WHAT. Brain, you make no sense. ( )
  shanaqui | Oct 20, 2013 |
loved it :)
  kaystj | Sep 24, 2013 |
I just wrote a big review and accidentally deleted it. Sigh.

This was a good book. I definitely enjoyed it! But I don't think it really stood up to the first Alice. This nonsense book seemed a little more nonsensical, with less rhyme or reason behind it. The sense that I think I was supposed make out of it came to me later than it should have; the kittens = the queens? Whoops! I did really enjoy the inclusion of all the poetry in this volume, however, and I was also surprised at the inclusion of so much iconic Alice canon such as Tweedledum and Tweedledee as well as The Jabberwocky.

I would recommend this book if for no other reason than what an easy read it was, even if you're worried you might not like it - I read it start to finish cover to cover. It was definitely cute and worth reading. ( )
  CayenneEllis | Jul 31, 2013 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it: -- it was the black kitten's fault entirely.
One can’t believe impossible things.

I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
This is an edition of "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there" only; please don't combine with copies that include other works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140620877, Paperback)

I had sent my heroine straight down a rabbit-hole ...without the least idea what was to happen afterwards,' wrote Charles Dodgson, describing how Alice was conjured up one 'golden afternoon' in 1862 to entertain his child-friend Alice Liddell. His dream worlds of nonsensical Wonderland and the back-to-front Looking-Glass kingdom depict order turned upside-down: a baby turns into a pig; time is abandoned at a disordered tea-party; and a chaotic game of chess makes a seven-year-old girl a Queen. But amongst the anarchic humour and sparkling word play, puzzles, paradoxes and riddles, are poignant moments of elegiac nostalgia for lost childhood. Startlingly original and experimental, the Alice books provide readers with a double window on both child and adult worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:56 -0400)

After climbing through the mirror in her room, Alice enters a world similar to a chess board where she experiences many curious adventures with its fantastic inhabitants.

Legacy Library: Lewis Carroll

Lewis Carroll has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Lewis Carroll's legacy profile.

See Lewis Carroll's author page.

Fourteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439769, 0141330074

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628921, 0763642622

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible