Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll…

Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (original 1871; edition 1984)

by Lewis Carroll

Info:
Collections:Classics & Great Books, Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Read

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (1871)

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (SilentInAWay)
    SilentInAWay: Juster's witty wordplay is in the same league as Carroll's
    Reckless by Cornelia Funke (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Both books use a mirror as a portal to another world where everyday things and ideas become reversed and distorted.
    Gambit by Rex Stout (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books centered on a chess game

English (69)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (71)
Okay, so I didn't enjoy Alice's Adventures in Wonderland but I had a free audio of Through the Looking Glass voiced by Miriam Margolyes, and I thought, why not?

Becoming a chess piece in a weird larger than life chess game is an intriguing concept echoed by a British BBC2 children's TV show (Words and Pictures, I think) about 25 years ago, and later by J.K. Rowling with Harry Potter. Moving to each new square was an adventure into an unknown wilderness never knowing who or what you were going to encounter.

I was surprised at the appearance of Humpty Dumpty of nursery rhyme fame and a bit confused about the Red Queen. There are no red queens in chess, just black and white. And sometimes I mistook the Red Queen for the Queen of Hearts. I guess standard black and white was too bland for Carroll. Or too racist?

But, again, I was troubled by the elaborate nonsense of Alice's dreamworld. Call it what you will - gibberish, balderdash, hooey, malarkey, twaddle, tosh - it's all frustrating nonsense. If there was an English translation of this little girl's dreams perhaps I'd enjoy it more.

Ms. Margolyes is the only reason I listened until the end.

I'm still enjoying the art and games inspired by Carroll's books. There are some colourful Alice in Wonderland chess sets. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Not nearly so good as "Wonderland." Wonderland used more of a central theme. The theme of this one, crossing a very wacky chessboard on the way to becoming a queen, is easily forgotten and the adventures seem choppier. But all in all, some wonderful writing for children. Carroll was extremely creative! ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 31, 2014 |
Much better than Alice in Wonderland. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
Instead of a rabbit-hole, this time Alice falls through a mirror in her parlor into the fantastical realm of Wonderland. She encounters Humpty Dumpty, a variety of monarchs, and has the chance to become a queen if she can venture through a countryside arranged as a chessboard. Similar to the previous novel in its nonsensical happenings, Through the Looking-Glass nevertheless dives further into questions about life, knowledge, and perception than Alice in Wonderland. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 15, 2014 |
I’ve heard that a lot of people liked this book more than the first, Alice in Wonderland. I found I did myself as well. Perhaps because you get use to the way Carroll writes. Or perhaps because there is more of a goal to the plot here. Alice is working her way to become a queen and the nonsense comes about as she journeys. I’m not entirely sure why this second book caught me more than the first one did, but it did. I liked most everything Alice came across, especially the knights that continued to fall over. It looks as if the Disney movie took from both books to make their classic movie. I also loved the narrator for this book. She did a fantastic job at putting just a touch of incredulity in her voice at the right moments. It was a lovely book to listen to. ( )
  Kassilem | Jun 3, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it: -- it was the black kitten's fault entirely.
One can’t believe impossible things.

I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
This is an edition of "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there" only; please don't combine with copies that include other works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140620877, Paperback)

I had sent my heroine straight down a rabbit-hole ...without the least idea what was to happen afterwards,' wrote Charles Dodgson, describing how Alice was conjured up one 'golden afternoon' in 1862 to entertain his child-friend Alice Liddell. His dream worlds of nonsensical Wonderland and the back-to-front Looking-Glass kingdom depict order turned upside-down: a baby turns into a pig; time is abandoned at a disordered tea-party; and a chaotic game of chess makes a seven-year-old girl a Queen. But amongst the anarchic humour and sparkling word play, puzzles, paradoxes and riddles, are poignant moments of elegiac nostalgia for lost childhood. Startlingly original and experimental, the Alice books provide readers with a double window on both child and adult worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:56 -0400)

After climbing through the mirror in her room, Alice enters a world similar to a chess board where she experiences many curious adventures with its fantastic inhabitants.

Legacy Library: Lewis Carroll

Lewis Carroll has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Lewis Carroll's legacy profile.

See Lewis Carroll's author page.

Fourteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439769, 0141330074

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628921, 0763642622

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,411,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible