Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll…

Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (original 1871; edition 1984)

by Lewis Carroll

Info:Alfred A. Knopf, New York;
Collections:Classics & Great Books, Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Read

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (1871)

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (SilentInAWay)
    SilentInAWay: Juster's witty wordplay is in the same league as Carroll's
    Reckless by Cornelia Funke (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Both books use a mirror as a portal to another world where everyday things and ideas become reversed and distorted.
    Gambit by Rex Stout (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books centered on a chess game

English (96)  Italian (1)  All (97)
Far more intriguing than the original. I enjoyed the chessboard theme. ( )
  benuathanasia | Mar 29, 2017 |
I've been staying away from this book, I think it was because there was a made for TV movie based on this book that I saw as a kid, and it was rather scary....

However, this book is not scary at all, I was expecting more Jabberwocky, and outside of a poem, there was no mention of it all. Generally, this book is nonsensical, with flashes of logic. There is no rhyme or reason to what Alice does, its just nonsensical encounter after nonsensical encounter. This book doesn't have much of relation to the Alice in Wonderland, being set in a different game entirely.

I think I preffered the first book better than the second. In this book, Alice has no real reason for doing what she does, just that it happens.

Overall, its a fast read and rather enjoyable. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jan 7, 2017 |
Alice walks through a Mirror and sees what is on the other side. It is a living chess board. She makes her way across the board and becomes a Queen. Then she wakes up. Both of the Alice books were a bit more on the light side than I'd remembered. Not bad, just I remembered them as having more of a heft" than I found this time :-) Guess I am just getting old, hahaha." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I think i liked this one about as much as the last one. I didn't find Alice as annoying this time, which is nice.

*Review written on December 17, 2014.* ( )
  danaenicole | Nov 14, 2016 |
I liked this edition so much. I enjoyed re-reading the book since my childhood. However, being able to see how Lewis Carroll's own illustrations influenced Sir John Tenniel's was inspiring! Their collaboration really worked!
I've always felt this book was a second home for me. I had a chance to read about the world as its crazy self. It is a coming of age story about a girl who is curious, outspoken, and opinionated. A great fantasy novel reflects who we are-sometimes hugely important, sometimes small and inconsequential.

One of my favorite poems,"Jabberwocky", is in this book.

-Breton W Kaiser Taylor ( )
  Breton07 | Sep 22, 2016 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a teacher's guide

One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it: -- it was the black kitten's fault entirely.
One can’t believe impossible things.

I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
This is an edition of "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there" only; please don't combine with copies that include other works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140620877, Paperback)

I had sent my heroine straight down a rabbit-hole ...without the least idea what was to happen afterwards,' wrote Charles Dodgson, describing how Alice was conjured up one 'golden afternoon' in 1862 to entertain his child-friend Alice Liddell. His dream worlds of nonsensical Wonderland and the back-to-front Looking-Glass kingdom depict order turned upside-down: a baby turns into a pig; time is abandoned at a disordered tea-party; and a chaotic game of chess makes a seven-year-old girl a Queen. But amongst the anarchic humour and sparkling word play, puzzles, paradoxes and riddles, are poignant moments of elegiac nostalgia for lost childhood. Startlingly original and experimental, the Alice books provide readers with a double window on both child and adult worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:58 -0400)

After climbing through the mirror in her room, Alice enters a world similar to a chess board where she experiences many curious adventures with its fantastic inhabitants.

Legacy Library: Lewis Carroll

Lewis Carroll has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Lewis Carroll's legacy profile.

See Lewis Carroll's author page.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763628921, 0763642622

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010209X, 140010887X, 1400115752

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,314,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible