My Boring-Ass Life (New Edition): The…

My Boring-Ass Life (New Edition): The Uncomfortably Candid Diary of Kevin…

by Kevin Smith, Peter Sorel (Cover photographer)

Member:jimcripps
Title:My Boring-Ass Life (New Edition): The Uncomfortably Candid Diary of Kevin Smith
Authors:Kevin Smith
Other authors:Peter Sorel (Cover photographer)
Info:Titan Books (2009), Edition: New, Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:diary, non-fiction, movies, movie making, family, Hollywood

My Boring Ass Life: The Uncomfortably Candid Diary of Kevin Smith by Kevin Smith

This isn’t the first time I’ve read this one (somewhere around 2nd or 3rd, leaning toward 3rd, time), but it’s still one of my favorite reads. Granted it is about my favorite filmmaker.
But, this book is a printed version of his online diary up to the point of publication. Most of it consists of him detailing everday life. Yes, for at least half of the book, each post begins with wake up, curse and let the dogs out, take a leak/shit. But if you can get past that part, it shows what a funny, loving, creative guy he is. Of course being a fan of his at all helps.
One thing that really leaps out at me through the book is how much he loves his women. He is constantly in amazement that his wife married him, but I can see why. While they do have their arguments like any other married couple does, he is totally devoted to her. When she’s sick, he runs out and gets what she needs. She has a girl’s night out, he drives her there and picks her up. It’s the same with his daughter. He loves spending time with her, even gets up early to do so and let Jen (wife) sleep in.
I found myself wanting to have something Kevin Smith related in the background when I’d be reading at home. I actually put in Catch and Release followed by Clerks II one Saturday mainly because those are the two flicks he works on for most of the book. Hell, reading the last part about his part in Live Free or Die Hard actually makes me want to see the flick. It’s the first time I’ve read it since actually seeing Die Hard and want to see if it lives up to the hype of the only worthy sequel.
But this book has actually motivated me to get up off my butt and really try to get my life going in the direction I want it to be going. Let’s see if it actually happens! ( )
  pirogoeth | Jul 11, 2017 |
This is my problem: I love the guy. I could listen to him talk about things all day, like in his Q&A things. I find his dialogue and writing in his movies to be fun and interesting. But this book has a lot of boring in it because like some other reviewers have said, it's a lot of the same things over and over again. I found myself not caring as much about his day to day life as I thought I might.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great parts in it, where his writing/humour/whatever really shine through but these are too few and far between in a 500 page book.

Some people may be more engrossed by his day to day life, though. I was for a little bit then quickly stopped. ( )
  Obdurate | Oct 4, 2011 |
I think I might be a bit biased in giving this a 5 star review. The book is basically Smith's day-to-day life - some of it is extremely dull and very repetitive. However, I'm such a huge fan that it still holds my interest. ( )
  branimal | May 3, 2009 |
Why the Diary(ah)?
We watch TiVo'ed Simpsons 'til we fall asleep.

The screenwriter and director of "Clerks" and "Chasing Amy" describes his daily life, discussing such events as the making of "Clerks II", his friend's struggle with drug addiction, and stealing doughnuts from Burt Reynolds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,833,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible