Clap Your Hands by Lorinda Bryan Cauley

Clap Your Hands (edition 1992)

by Lorinda Bryan Cauley

Member:ChantalBerho
Title:Clap Your Hands
Authors:Lorinda Bryan Cauley
Info:Putnam Juvenile (1992), Edition: F, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:***

Clap Your Hands by Lorinda Bryan Cauley

This is a fantasy picture book done in rhyme. Its illustrations are in colored pencil. In this book for primary grades/beginning readers, one follows children and animals doing silly things that the book tells them to. The reader is supposed to follow along with what the pictures are showing and the words say, like "clap your hands," "do a little dance," etc. The animals, who are dressed in human clothes, are doing all of these things excitedly with the children. There is no continuous plot with specific character names, etc.
This book is a good example of fantasy because wild animals are personified by wearing human clothing and doing things that humans do, with children. It is unrealistic.
This book does not have a well supported plot. The illustrations reinforce the words, but there is no antagonist, protagonist, beginning, middle and end. I think for this reason, that this book is meant more for very beginning readers.
This book could be used for preschool and kindergarten as an interactive book that would get students up and moving as part of a transition or when students need a break.
This book could be used as a read aloud that could be used continuously, involving students by having them read along after memorization. ( )
  ChantalBerho | Nov 20, 2012 |
I discovered this gem back in the early spring and immediately fell in love with it. I read it to my storytime...when I subbed at Tiny Tots...to my preschool visits...I lent it to Miss Pattie who read it to her toddlers...to her babies...It is Just That Good. I realized immediately we needed a copy and, in a stunning piece of providence, a copy was immediately donated!

There's no actual plot or definite narrative. The "story" is just a series of gaily dressed animals and children performing an unending series of delightful antics. The simple rhyming text encourages children to perform actions ranging from clapping their hands to performing somersaults.

This is my "review" of how best to use it in storytime! I start with the kids sitting on the floor, "Clap your hands," then we stand up and "stomp your feet./Shake your arms,/then take a seat." Which gets us all back to the floor. We do the next few couplets sitting on the floor, "Rub your tummy,/pat your head./Find something yellow,/find something red." For some reason, finding the colors gets more excitement than some of the later loud noises!

Some of the kids will stand up for "Reach for the sky" and so by the time we get to "Stick out your tongue/and touch your nose." it's pretty confused. I skip the couplet that calls for a kiss - some of the kids would just sit there, but a fairly large proportion of them would bury me in slobber. This works ok with babies or toddlers though, as the parents can kiss their kids who are usually more in their vicinity. I skip the tickle couplet too, for the same reason. After some rather dizzy episodes, I try to have the kids just turn around once for "Spin in a circle" and I only include the somersault if we have enough space - and if the kids are old enough for most of them to know how to do one! The excitement mounts with the animal actions and I had 20 kids yelling their names and ages simultaneously at me the last time I did it, so I would leave that one out, along with the telling a secret. Then things just go nuts with animal actions, jumping, crawling, flying, and finally waving good-bye.

I strongly recommend finishing storytime with this one; if you can get the kids calmed down and back in their places for another story after this, you're an amazing librarian and I will sit at your feet!

Verdict: A must have both for your general collection and professional collection. Happily, it's still in print! Go forth and purchase!

ISBN: 0-399-22118-2; Published January 1997 by Puffin; Borrowed from the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 15, 2012 |
Clap your hands is an interactive book and great read aloud to get the wiggles out with lines like "count your fingers, count your toes, touch the sky, touch the ground, spin around, etc. "
  Mollyphillips | May 30, 2011 |
I found this incredibly charming book for my son over the weekend. I thought it was lighthearted and fun. My son was thrilled when I read it to him. We were stomping our feet and wiggling with the book. The pictures are illustrated with animals and children. The animals wore clothing, what a hoot! I don’t think Clap Your Hands could have been anymore perfect. ( )
  cleverlyinked | Dec 30, 2009 |
Who said story time means sitting quietly on the floor? With the story Clap Your Hands that text encourages the reader (or listener!) to go through a fast and furious series of tasks. Readers will be patting their heads, doing somersaults across the floor, making silly faces, and jumping up and down! Even if the reader does not follow the directions, the energy of this story is visible on the pages, with illustrations showing wonderful movement and excitement. This high energy book will certainly entertain its readers. ( )
  fullerl | Jun 10, 2009 |

Take off your shoes and jump right into this bright, energetic, read-aloud rhyme filled with sing-along and act-along verse which invites youngsters to swirl, twirl and spin for an exhilarating read-and-play time. A Library of Congress Children's Book of the Year. Full color.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:49 -0400)

Rhyming text instructs the listener to find something yellow, roar like a lion, give a kiss, tell a secret, spin in a circle, and perform other playful activities along with the human and animal characters pictured.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,742,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible