Ish by Peter H. Reynolds

Our hero gives up on drawing because of criticism from his older brother and his own disappointment in the quality of his work. However his little sister has a collection of his works and her description of them as [subject]-ish, sets him off on a fulfilling new art career.

Ages: 3-8
Source: Reading at Pierce College
  teapotic | Jun 8, 2016 |
about a child who becomes self conscious of his art work because of his older brother. But his sister loves everything about the art work, and helps him fall back in love with the arts.
ages 5
source: pierce college library
  samanthakane | Jun 7, 2016 |
A boy starts to feel bad about the art he produces due to his brother's negative comments. His sister loves his artwork, and helps him love it too!

Ages 5-8
Pierce County Public Library ( )
  hsoden | Jun 7, 2016 |
I dunno. I guess I'm just not the creative type. When I do make something, it's more functional, like curtains or greeting cards. And then I want to do my very best. In other words, on an abstract level I appreciate the message of this book. But it doesn't do any more to make me *feel* the message than any other presentation of the message I've seen already. One thing I did really like was that the family was, I think, Hispanic, but that wasn't an overt statement, rather, it was just there. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Ramon loved to draw until his brothers mean remark about his drawing hurt his feelings. Ramon struggled to draw after that until his little sister showed him what was more valuable about his drawings instead of getting things right. This rekindled Ramon's flame to draw again.
Age: preschool
Book Found: Amazon
  tayisha | Jun 5, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076362344X, Hardcover)

A creative spirit learns that thinking "ish-ly" is far more wonderful than "getting it right" in this gentle new fable from the creator of the award-winning picture book THE DOT.

Ramon loved to draw. Anytime. Anything. Anywhere.

Drawing is what Ramon does. It¹s what makes him happy. But in one split second, all that changes. A single reckless remark by Ramon's older brother, Leon, turns Ramon's carefree sketches into joyless struggles. Luckily for Ramon, though, his little sister, Marisol, sees the world differently. She opens his eyes to something a lot more valuable than getting things just "right." Combining the spareness of fable with the potency of parable, Peter Reynolds shines a bright beam of light on the need to kindle and tend our creative flames with care.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

Ramon loses confidence in his ability to draw, but his sister gives him a new perspective on things.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,520,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible