Ish by Peter H. Reynolds

Summary: The “ish” is a book about a little boy named Ramon who loved to draw. One day when Ramon was drawing his brother Leon leaned over his shoulder and laughed at him saying “what is that”? making fun of Ramon. Ramon was very discouraged and crumbled up his drawing and threw it on the floor. Ramon’s sister Marisol took him to her room and showed him her bedroom walls. Marisol explained that his drawings do not have to be perfect they just need to be “ish” like. This concept opened a whole new world for Ramon, he started to draw the world around him in an “ish” way.
Personal Review: This book is a great book! This is my new favorite book. Ish helps build children’s self-esteem and allows them to think outside the box. I think the illustrations are perfect for the story and collaborate with the concept “ish”.
Classroom Extensions: A great activity would be to ask the students to attempt to draw a picture of something they have never drawn before and share with the class their drawing. Another activity the students could do is write a paragraph to explain what “ish” means to them. These activities will help with their fine motor skills and promote creative thinking. ( )
  ekelley05 | Mar 20, 2017 |
Ramon is a boy who enjoys drawing but then is discouraged because he doesn't think his drawings are just right. His whole outlook is changed when he finds out his sister keeps all his drawings and hangs them on her wall and tells him that they look related to what they should be but different. This is a good realistic fiction because Ramon and his family are made up but also his story is realistic. I would use this for primary and intermediate. Watercolor and Ink. ( )
  SkyD17 | Mar 19, 2017 |
Review:
This book is great for two reasons. The first reason is the illustrations. The author/illustrator keeps the illustrations simple, which I enjoy because it allows me to think that even I could make artwork for children's books someday. The second reason this book is good, is the plot. The author begins by creating the problem of self doubt, when Ranon begins making art and is ridiculed by his brother. Then he gains perspective from his sister who really enjoys his artwork. The big idea of this book is that we shouldn't doubt our ability to be good at something because it is all about perspective. ( )
  mmoria4 | Mar 9, 2017 |
Love this book! Sometimes children get upset that their artwork isn't good enough. This book explains that even if my drawing isn't perfect, I know it is still perfect to my eyes or to other people's eyes. It doesn't matter if the drawing is the exact same replica of the object, as long as it is -ish or kinda resembles it. At the end, you can feel proud of what you made because you put in that much effort into the picture. Great for preschool to kindergarten children! ( )
  cindybenavente | Mar 1, 2017 |
A creative spirit learns that thinking "ish-ly" is far more wonderful than "getting it right". Ramon loved to draw. Anytime. Anything. Anywhere. Drawing is what Ramon does. It¹s what makes him happy. But in one split second, all that changes. A single reckless remark by Ramon's older brother, Leon, turns Ramon's carefree sketches into joyless struggles. Luckily for Ramon, though, his little sister, Marisol, sees the world differently. She opens his eyes to something a lot more valuable than getting things just "right." Combining the spareness of fable with the potency of parable, Peter Reynolds shines a bright beam of light on the need to kindle and tend our creative flames with care.
  wichitafriendsschool | Feb 25, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076362344X, Hardcover)

A creative spirit learns that thinking "ish-ly" is far more wonderful than "getting it right" in this gentle new fable from the creator of the award-winning picture book THE DOT.

Ramon loved to draw. Anytime. Anything. Anywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

Ramon loses confidence in his ability to draw, but his sister gives him a new perspective on things.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,205,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible