Ish by Peter H. Reynolds

I enjoyed how this book took an extremely identifiable feeling and situation and created a message that is simple, but speaks volumes. In this book, the boy gets frustrated after being critiqued. I know that I have felt the same way when I get constructive or negative feedback on something I have done. I sometimes respond in the same way that the child did, by trying to perfect what I was doing to prove the person wrong. The second half of the book was inspirational and uplifting. To tell kids that doing things "ish-ly" is fun and positive. No child should feel like they have to be perfect at what they do, and that is definitely the "big picture" of this book. This message is a common theme in children's literature, but in this book, it is expressed in a fresh and exciting way. ( )
  ajfurman | Nov 11, 2014 |
I really love this book and absolutely love reading it. I love this author and love the theme of art. I also love how the main theme is art but it can connect to so many other aspects of life and all people. Ish is about a boy who loves to draw but his brother makes fun of his artwork. His sister then hangs up all of his artwork in his room and tells him how she thinks they are great. When he tries to draw a vase, she tells him "It's vase-ish!". The language in the book is descriptive and clear. The book is easy to read and understand. The writing is engaging and the characters are believable. It is easy to connect with the characters and story. The plot is organized and well paced. The illustrations definitely enhance the story and support the text. The illustrations are colorful and unique to the author. The big idea in the book is art, creativity, and accepting yourself and others. ( )
  smeyer8 | Oct 28, 2014 |
Ramon's older brother laughs at his art, and Ramon is discouraged...but his little sister Marisol takes all Ramon's crumpled-up drawings and puts them on the walls of her room. It may not look like a vase...but it's vase-ish! ( )
  JennyArch | Oct 23, 2014 |
I enjoyed watching the video of this book. It made the book more interactive and I think it could be beneficial for those students who are easily distracted. I liked how when the book read, "he laughed," the characters in the video actually laughed. Allowing the students to read the words, listen to them, and see them being acted out could help beginning readers connect words on a page to their meanings. The idea of -ish could also be related to an overall theme that no one is perfect. In Ramon's case, having -ish drawings is more than okay. ( )
  sconne7 | Oct 20, 2014 |
Ish
Bryan O'Keeffe

This book was really good. I enjoyed reading this book and would love to add this book to my library. The thing that stood out the most was the water color illustrations. I think because this book was about a boy drawing things, the illustrations fit the story really well. They helped the reader imagine the story in the way it should be imagined. The plot was done really well and have a good antagonist in the boy's older brother. I think without the antagonist, the story would not have been as interesting. The book was easy to read but not to easy to where the story felt too fast. The pacing of the book was just enough to make this a quick read but not too quick to where the story was easily forgotten. The characters were very believable and felt as if this story has or could happen in real life. I almost felt a little connected to the main character because I used to draw a lot as a child and was made fun of because people thought my drawings were not well done. The message in this book was kind of muddied but was more evident towards the beginning of the book; do not give up on your dreams, even when people try to tear you down. ( )
  bokeef2 | Oct 14, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076362344X, Hardcover)

A creative spirit learns that thinking "ish-ly" is far more wonderful than "getting it right" in this gentle new fable from the creator of the award-winning picture book THE DOT.

Ramon loved to draw. Anytime. Anything. Anywhere.

Drawing is what Ramon does. It¹s what makes him happy. But in one split second, all that changes. A single reckless remark by Ramon's older brother, Leon, turns Ramon's carefree sketches into joyless struggles. Luckily for Ramon, though, his little sister, Marisol, sees the world differently. She opens his eyes to something a lot more valuable than getting things just "right." Combining the spareness of fable with the potency of parable, Peter Reynolds shines a bright beam of light on the need to kindle and tend our creative flames with care.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:35 -0400)

Ramon loses confidence in his ability to draw, but his sister gives him a new perspective on things.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,958,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible