Ish by Peter H. Reynolds

Ish (edition 2004)

by Peter H. Reynolds, Peter H. Reynolds (Illustrator)

Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Other authors:Peter H. Reynolds (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2004), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:art, drawing, artists, children's literature, picture books, siblings, creativity, kids

Ish by Peter H. Reynolds

This is a super cute book about a young kid, Ramon, who loves to draw. His older brother sees one of his drawings and he makes fun of Ramon because it doesn't look like the vase of flowers he was trying to create. Ramon starts to hear his brother teasing him every time he tries to draw, and he soon crumples up his drawings. His little sister comes along and picks up the drawing and hangs it in her room, along with the other drawings Ramon has thrown out. Ramon's sister tells him that he likes his drawings, and even though they don't look completely like a vase, they look vasish. Soon Ramon starts drawing alll sorts of ish things. He realizes that he is happy to draw ish things and keeps up his drawing.
GENRE: Realistic Fiction
I thought this was a sweet book about how it is ok to not be amazing or perfect at something, but that doesn't mean that you can't still love and enjoy what you are doing. You could use this in your class before an art project, to show how everyone can draw in their own way, and that art, writing, and anything creative is an exploration of your thoughts and feelings and there isn't necessarily a right or wrong way to show that. Another way you could use this book in your class is to show and talk about the difference between Ramon's brother and sister. His sister was uplifting and kind, where his brother was mean and put Ramon down. You could use this as a cool way to show that it is important to be kind and lift everyone in the classroom up. ( )
  epatt14 | Sep 1, 2016 |
Our hero gives up on drawing because of criticism from his older brother and his own disappointment in the quality of his work. However his little sister has a collection of his works and her description of them as [subject]-ish, sets him off on a fulfilling new art career.

Ages: 3-8
Source: Reading at Pierce College
  teapotic | Jun 8, 2016 |
about a child who becomes self conscious of his art work because of his older brother. But his sister loves everything about the art work, and helps him fall back in love with the arts.
ages 5
source: pierce college library
  samanthakane | Jun 7, 2016 |
A boy starts to feel bad about the art he produces due to his brother's negative comments. His sister loves his artwork, and helps him love it too!

Ages 5-8
Pierce County Public Library ( )
  hsoden | Jun 7, 2016 |
I dunno. I guess I'm just not the creative type. When I do make something, it's more functional, like curtains or greeting cards. And then I want to do my very best. In other words, on an abstract level I appreciate the message of this book. But it doesn't do any more to make me *feel* the message than any other presentation of the message I've seen already. One thing I did really like was that the family was, I think, Hispanic, but that wasn't an overt statement, rather, it was just there. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076362344X, Hardcover)

A creative spirit learns that thinking "ish-ly" is far more wonderful than "getting it right" in this gentle new fable from the creator of the award-winning picture book THE DOT.

Ramon loved to draw. Anytime. Anything. Anywhere.

Drawing is what Ramon does. It¹s what makes him happy. But in one split second, all that changes. A single reckless remark by Ramon's older brother, Leon, turns Ramon's carefree sketches into joyless struggles. Luckily for Ramon, though, his little sister, Marisol, sees the world differently. She opens his eyes to something a lot more valuable than getting things just "right." Combining the spareness of fable with the potency of parable, Peter Reynolds shines a bright beam of light on the need to kindle and tend our creative flames with care.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

Ramon loses confidence in his ability to draw, but his sister gives him a new perspective on things.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,709,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible