Ish by Peter H. Reynolds

Ish (edition 2004)

by Peter H. Reynolds, Peter H. Reynolds (Illustrator)

Member:brennahuffman
Title:Ish
Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Other authors:Peter H. Reynolds (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2004), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:art, drawing, artists, children's literature, picture books, siblings, creativity, kids

Ish by Peter H. Reynolds

This was a really fun book to read. The story is great because it captures the feeling of being frustrated really well. Most people, not just school-aged children, can relate to feeling frustrated one time or another. The story shows the reader how to break down that barrier and overcome that feeling of emptiness. The story is fun and has a positive message to send, never give up! The illustrations in the story depict the feelings of the characters quite well. The pictures feel like they are coming alive. ( )
  ssmith93 | Dec 10, 2014 |
This was a really fun book to read, and the best part about it was by far the illustrations. They are kind of hard to explain, but if I had two words to describe them I think it would be “simple” and “whimsical.” Since the book was about a boy who wanted to draw but couldn’t quite get it right, the illustrations played an important role. I think it was really cool how the drawings seemed to come off the page, kind of like they were alive. It was like the author “broke the 4th wall” using the illustrations. Another reason I liked the book is because it captured the frustrations of every young artist- not being able to get it quite right. Then, it gave them an idea of how to turn their “mistakes” into something wonderful. I think the main idea of this book is that the process is more important than the product. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Nov 30, 2014 |
I enjoyed how this book took an extremely identifiable feeling and situation and created a message that is simple, but speaks volumes. In this book, the boy gets frustrated after being critiqued. I know that I have felt the same way when I get constructive or negative feedback on something I have done. I sometimes respond in the same way that the child did, by trying to perfect what I was doing to prove the person wrong. The second half of the book was inspirational and uplifting. To tell kids that doing things "ish-ly" is fun and positive. No child should feel like they have to be perfect at what they do, and that is definitely the "big picture" of this book. This message is a common theme in children's literature, but in this book, it is expressed in a fresh and exciting way. ( )
  ajfurman | Nov 11, 2014 |
I really love this book and absolutely love reading it. I love this author and love the theme of art. I also love how the main theme is art but it can connect to so many other aspects of life and all people. Ish is about a boy who loves to draw but his brother makes fun of his artwork. His sister then hangs up all of his artwork in his room and tells him how she thinks they are great. When he tries to draw a vase, she tells him "It's vase-ish!". The language in the book is descriptive and clear. The book is easy to read and understand. The writing is engaging and the characters are believable. It is easy to connect with the characters and story. The plot is organized and well paced. The illustrations definitely enhance the story and support the text. The illustrations are colorful and unique to the author. The big idea in the book is art, creativity, and accepting yourself and others. ( )
  smeyer8 | Oct 28, 2014 |
Ramon's older brother laughs at his art, and Ramon is discouraged...but his little sister Marisol takes all Ramon's crumpled-up drawings and puts them on the walls of her room. It may not look like a vase...but it's vase-ish! ( )
  JennyArch | Oct 23, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076362344X, Hardcover)

A creative spirit learns that thinking "ish-ly" is far more wonderful than "getting it right" in this gentle new fable from the creator of the award-winning picture book THE DOT.

Ramon loved to draw. Anytime. Anything. Anywhere.

Drawing is what Ramon does. It¹s what makes him happy. But in one split second, all that changes. A single reckless remark by Ramon's older brother, Leon, turns Ramon's carefree sketches into joyless struggles. Luckily for Ramon, though, his little sister, Marisol, sees the world differently. She opens his eyes to something a lot more valuable than getting things just "right." Combining the spareness of fable with the potency of parable, Peter Reynolds shines a bright beam of light on the need to kindle and tend our creative flames with care.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:35 -0400)

Ramon loses confidence in his ability to draw, but his sister gives him a new perspective on things.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,495,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible