Roller Coaster by Marla Frazee

Roller Coaster

by Marla Frazee

I really liked the story because of the illustrations. The illustrations told so much of the story, even though there was text paired with them. The illustrations were able to contribute to the story and give the story another level of depth. The illustrations were very detailed, and able to show the reader action and excitement. The emotions of the characters are portrayed through the illustrations. The reader is able to see the fear prior to the ride, then the excitement as the ride is happening, and then finally the joy during and after the ride is complete. Another thing that I liked about the story was that during the ride the text of the story looks like the ride. For example, as the roller coaster is going upside down the text is also upside down. This adds another interesting element to the story. Having the text in different orientations engages the reader and excites them. At one point I was even having to rotate the book around to read the text. This is something that is not needed with every story, and this makes this story just a little more interesting. Another thing I liked about the story was that the characters were very realistic. The emotions that the characters are experiencing are authentic to what emotions that the reader has experienced as well. Most people who go on rides have feelings of fear before they get on. Then as they are riding there might be feelings of joy and excitement. This was also what the main characters were enduring. Having the characters experience real feelings allows the story to be more relatable. Readers can think back to their first ride, or this story could help them cope with idea of going on their first roller coaster. I believe the big idea of the story is that it is possible to overcome fears if you have enough determination. The main character is able to overcome her fear of riding roller coasters, and even finds out that she likes them. ( )
  kmetca1 | Mar 8, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this story because it was relatable, I love roller coasters and I remember my first time ever riding one. I could see myself as that person in the story who had never rode one before, I could also see myself as one of the people who wanted to ride the roller coaster again. The story is told in third person with many short phrases and various sound effects including "clickity, clackity, clickity, clackity, up, up. up," and "WHOOSH!" The reader could know what was going on in the story by reading those simple sound effects, or also by looking at the accommodating pictures. The illustrator used bright colors and various types of people in the different picture and I admire that.
  mtrail3 | Mar 6, 2015 |
A young girl describes the simple act of riding a roller coaster for the first time. She describes her feeling before, during and after the ride. There is a great deal of onomatopoeia in the book, it would be a great example of this figurative language trait. It could also show students how a simple event can turn into a story as well as modeling overcoming fear. ( )
  lpierson14 | Feb 21, 2015 |
on her first roller coaster ride she has her own feelings but also observes the others on the ride.
  cadyVdean | Dec 8, 2014 |
This book shows a young girl experiencing a rollercoaster for the first time. It shows how she processes how others perceive the rollercoaster to be as well as how she perceives it.

Ages: 4-7
Source: Pierce College Library
  fuzzytoaster77 | Dec 7, 2014 |

Great book for teaching onomatopoeia

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152057447, Paperback)

All sorts of people ride roller coasters, people over a certain height that is. Marla Frazee zooms in on one pony-tailed girl who has never experienced a roller coaster before, ever, in this start-to-finish ride. The anticipation builds much like it does in real-life: "S-l-o-w-l-y the train is pulled up the hill by a chain. Clickity, clackity. Clickity, clackity. Up. Up. Up. And then..." As the train zips and zooms and dips and dives, the pony-tailed girl in the very front seat loves every minute, or almost. In the end, "Most of these people are dizzy./ Some of them have wobbly knees./ But at least one of them is planning/ to ride the roller coaster again." Frazee's crisply detailed watercolor drawings of waiting people, happy people, terrified people, and dizzy people are fun to peruse. Youngsters who are Disneyland-bound (or who would just like to be) may be the best audience for this minute-by-minute replay of a roller-coaster ride. (Ages 4 to 7) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:48 -0400)

Twelve people set aside their fears and ride a roller coaster, including one who has never done so before.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,442,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible