The Absent Author by Ron Roy

The Absent Author

by Ron Roy

Other authors: John Gurnery (Illustrator)

Series: A to Z Mysteries (book 1)

Two ratings for early chapter books, I think. Around a three for me; and these, I think, are a definite four for what they are and who their audience is. I really did some smiling through these and I was pretty impressed with several things (read the first three and will copy this to the others). They seemed to me like they would be really challenging and I liked the addition of the map of the neighborhood in the front. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose are so excited to meet mystery author Wallis Wallace, but he never shows up! Earlier in the week he had written to Dink saying he promised to be there, though, unless he got kidnapped. When Wallis Wallace can't be found the three detectives go on the hunt. They trace Wallis's itinerary and find that he's held in the hotel room next to the one he checked out. Luckily it was all a ploy set up by MS Wallace and her brother to write her next mystery novel.

This was a Name That Book selection through CFISD's librarians. I thought it was great for second/third graders. The simply writing and story line is easy to read. Great medium-level chapter book for kids learning to read and comprehend longer books! ( )
  missbrandysue | Dec 31, 2012 |
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I expected it to be mildly entertaining, suited for readers transitioning into chapter books. A simple plot, slightly developed characters, sentences that are starting to be more complex but are still straightforward, and a restrained vocabulary list. Many beginning chapter books operate within these constraints, and I expected that the mystery would be less appealing to an adult given that the format is more structured. However, I liked the mystery. Yes, it is definitely aimed for a young audience, meaning that I figured it out rather quickly, well before the big reveal. Nonetheless, the story line was original and the mystery was quirky and fun.

The story is about Dink, a boy who is excited because his favorite author is coming to town. He invited Wallis Wallace, mystery writer, to visit his home, and the author accepted. When he is supposed to appear at the book signing, though, the famous author is absent. Dink is not just sad, he's frightened - his letter from Mr. Wallace said he would only stay away if he is kidnapped, and Dink is certain that is exactly what happened. He convinces his friends, Josh and Ruth Rose, to help him find the abducted man. They think about how the characters in a Wallace mystery would act, and begin to gather clues and solve the mystery. Accompanying them is a quiet woman named Mavis Green, who was also present at the Book Nook to meet Mr. Wallace, and is concerned for his safety.

The cute story is accompanied by detailed black-and-white drawings, and a map of the small town at the front of the book. The clues in the book are clearly laid out, and readers can use deductive reasoning along with Dink to figure out the next step, and solve the mystery. Also, the characters are sufficiently distinct and appealing, and I expect (hope) they will continue to develop in subsequent books in the series. The side characters are a bit exaggerated, but silly, and keep the story moving along quickly. There is plenty of humor that young readers will relate to. This book is a strong beginning, and I am excited to see if the rest of the series continues to be fun and kid friendly. ( )
  nmhale | Dec 1, 2012 |
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Review: The author did a good job of staying true to the genre of realistic fiction by creating a story about three children who follow clues left by an adult that will lead to them finding their favorite mystery writer.
Media: Pencil ( )
  adaniel11 | Mar 12, 2012 |
This series came to me recommended by others in the Grow-a-Reader Bookbox. I agree. Good first mystery series. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |

Ron Royprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gurnery, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"The absent author" is a short mystery for children, where Dink's favorite author Wallis Wallace is coming to town, but fails to show up. Suspecting foul play, Dink, Josh and Ruth try to find out what happened to the author.

Don’t miss A to Z Mysteries—alphabetic adventures that are full of thrills, chills, and cases to crack!

A is for Author...

In the first book of the A to Z Mysteries—an early chapter book mystery series featuring strong boy and girl characters—Dink writes to his favorite author, mystery writer Wallis Wallace, and invites him to visit Green lawn. Wonder of wonders, Wallace says yes! In fact, the famous writers says the the only way he won't come is if he's kidnapped. But when the big day comes, Wallis Wallace is nowhere to be found. The police think he just missed his plane, but Dink knows better. It's up to Dink and his two best friends, Josh and Ruth Rose, to find Wallace - before it's too late!

Each book includes a map and a letter from the author. Parents, teachers, and librarians agree that these highly collectible chapter books are perfect for emerging readers and any kid who love mysteries!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:51 -0400)

Dink Duncan and his two friends investigate the apparent kidnapping of famous mystery author Wallis Wallace.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible