The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds

The Dot (2003)

by Peter H. Reynolds

English (285)  Dutch (1)  All languages (286)
All art starts somewhere and Vashti's starts with a dot. At first it's just a small, angry dot, but soon Vashti is convinced that she can make a better dot. And a better dot. And a bigger dot. And a bigger AND better dot. She can even make a dot by not making a dot. Before she realizes it, Vashti has embarked on an artistic journey. This is an adorable story that makes art feel accessible, rather than intimidating, to children. After all, can't we all start with a dot? ( )
  adrouet | May 3, 2019 |
This book is about a little boy who does not think that he draws as well as his other classroom mates, however as days go by he discovers that he doesnt have to compare himself with other children.he has his own art style within him.This is a very inspiring book and will help children be confident with how they are. ( )
  noorkazmi | Apr 30, 2019 |
One of my favorite books we had read aloud to us. I loved the teacher in this book. She showed what being a great teacher is all about. Just by pinning her students little dot on the wall she inspired confidence in her student that she could make all sorts of dots. And then her student did. That’s what a great teacher does. I also really liked the way this book was illustrated, the dots and colors expressing so many emotions. I thought that was very clever. ( )
  jvines | Apr 27, 2019 |
This book is amazing. There is so much going on in the story. The little girl says she cannot draw but her teacher has her draw a dot and hangs it on her wall. This encourages the student to draw a better dot. She thought she could not draw, but the teacher motivated her. This can be a great read to children because they can learn to never give up and to try harder. ( )
  cynthiahurtado | Apr 21, 2019 |
I absolutely fell in love with this book as soon as I picked it up. The beautiful watery pastel pictures blew me away along with the sweet story line. This book is great for readers who just need a reason to not give up. This teacher encouraged this young student to keep drawing and keep painting and sign his artwork every time at the bottom. Although, he never thought he could paint he eventually found his "style" through just never giving up and learning. This is great for readers who get to see and interpret other that care for them like their teachers to have such that great impact and will also teach not to give up and keep going and turns out to be a wonderful story. ( )
  sav1234 | Apr 14, 2019 |
Dedicated to Mr. Matson, my 7th grade math teacher, who dared me to "make my mark."
Art class was over, but Vashti sat glued to her chair.
"Hmmph! I can make a better dot than THAT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763619612, Hardcover)

A frustrated grade school artist, Vashti sits slumped over her blank piece of paper at the end of art class. "I just CAN'T draw!" she tells her teacher. Her teacher first uses wit, then subtle yet clever encouragement to inspire her student to go beyond her insecurities and become, in the words of a younger boy who "can’t" draw either, "a really great artist."

Peter H. Reynolds crafts a quiet, pleasing story in The Dot--one that will strike a chord with children who have outgrown the self-assurance of kindergarten and begun to doubt their own greatness. His marvelous watercolor, ink, and, yes, tea illustrations are appealing in a Quentin Blakey way, especially as Vashti begins to go wild with her dots. The delightfully open-ended conclusion will have readers of all ages contemplating how they can make their own mark in the world. Highly recommended. (Ages 5 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:36 -0400)

Vashti believes that she cannot draw, but her art teacher's encouragement leads her to change her mind.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible