Dot by Peter H. Reynolds

Dot (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Peter H. Reynolds

Member:LindseyB12
Title:Dot
Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Info:Walker Childrens Paperbacks (2004), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:k-3, 3-5, art, inspiration, self-esteem, confidence, easy, multicultural

The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds (2003)

English (273)  Dutch (1)  All languages (274)
This book is about a teacher who believed in her. She then went on to draw more and inspired her to inspire and give hope to others in their abilities.
  Erinsmo | Dec 10, 2018 |
This story is about Vashti who is a young girl that is afraid to make art in art class because she feels as though she is not a good artist. Her art teacher realizes this and continues to give encouragement to Vashti. With some encouragement Vashti then drew what she felt she could, a big dot in the center of the piece of paper. The next day Vashti came into class and the picture was framed and hung up in the classroom. One day, a boy was admiring Vashti's work and wished he could draw like Vashti. Vashti then gave the boy the encouragement she once needed to begin an artistic journey. This book was fun for me to read because I related to Vashti. I related because I am not a very good artist at all and I wish I would have had some encouragement from my art teachers in order to be able to create art better and not dread going to art class as much as I did. ( )
  cconsolian | Dec 1, 2018 |
This book follows a small child's desire to use painted colorful dots to make a painting. I loved that the young girl was encouraged to do art the way she wanted to by her teachers. This story reminds me to always encourage even if I don't specifically understand it. ( )
  india_paige | Nov 27, 2018 |
Vashti's teacher assigned him to draw a picture. All he did was point his pencil to the middle of the paper which made a dot on the paper. He signed the painting and the teacher framed it and hung it up in her classroom. He felt proud of his work so he created lots and lots more dots for a school art show. A little boy who thought he could not draw wanted to draw like Vashti. Vashti showed him how he created the dot and the little boy felt so happy. This book teaches that people have gifts and talents and to share them with the world even if you are not confident in your abilities. ( )
  JennySkvarna | Nov 25, 2018 |
5 stars
  kaetlynsandoval | Nov 6, 2018 |
Dedicated to Mr. Matson, my 7th grade math teacher, who dared me to "make my mark."
Art class was over, but Vashti sat glued to her chair.
"Hmmph! I can make a better dot than THAT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763619612, Hardcover)

A frustrated grade school artist, Vashti sits slumped over her blank piece of paper at the end of art class. "I just CAN'T draw!" she tells her teacher. Her teacher first uses wit, then subtle yet clever encouragement to inspire her student to go beyond her insecurities and become, in the words of a younger boy who "can’t" draw either, "a really great artist."

Peter H. Reynolds crafts a quiet, pleasing story in The Dot--one that will strike a chord with children who have outgrown the self-assurance of kindergarten and begun to doubt their own greatness. His marvelous watercolor, ink, and, yes, tea illustrations are appealing in a Quentin Blakey way, especially as Vashti begins to go wild with her dots. The delightfully open-ended conclusion will have readers of all ages contemplating how they can make their own mark in the world. Highly recommended. (Ages 5 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:36 -0400)

Vashti believes that she cannot draw, but her art teacher's encouragement leads her to change her mind.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,699,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible