Dot by Peter H. Reynolds

Dot (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Peter H. Reynolds

Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Info:Walker Childrens Paperbacks (2004), Paperback
Tags:easy, teacher, creativity, encouragement, gr. k-3

The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds (2003)

English (218)  Dutch (1)  All languages (219)
Vashti believes that she cannot draw, but her art teacher's encouragement leads her to change her mind.
  chandlerfarris | Oct 6, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a good, simple book with a big message. The big idea was that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Vashti was convinced she could not draw and with some encouragement from her teacher, she was able to fill a gallery full of her art. I like how the author used color to emphasize the illustrations. The contrast of the colored works of art to the grey characters and objects was very unique. By only using color for the art, it stressed the overarching importance to the text. I also liked how he structured the written text. Reynolds used a different font from usual, giving the book personality. Additionally, he organized it in a way that emphasized art, not typical left to right text seen in most books. ( )
  kslack3 | Sep 28, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading The Dot. Some of my favorite things about this book are the illustrations and the characters. The illustrations are great because they really draw your focus to the centerpiece of the story that is the dots. Most everything that isn’t a dot is just a black and white drawing all of the vivid colors on the canvases really pop off of the page. The characters are another great part to this book. There are only a few but they are all simple yet play a huge role in the book. The teacher perfectly embodies what a teacher should be and is so encouraging. The main character of the book shows such passion in what he does and it is truly inspirational, especially at the end of the book when he shows that passion and encouragement to another young kid. Overall I think that this was a great book. With the big idea that everybody can be an artist and you should always be encouraging to others, this is a great book for any elementary classroom. ( )
  CameronMoltz | Sep 20, 2016 |
I loved reading “The Dot.” I thought the big picture of the book was very important. In the story, Vashti doesn’t feel she is an artist. She puts a single dot on her paper and the teacher hangs it up for display on the wall. Everyone can be creative in their own way if they have the support and confidence they need. “She pushed the paper towards Vashti and quietly said, ‘Sign it.’” This was a great example of how we see the teacher supporting her student. Character development is huge in this book as well, we see Vashti go from not thinking she’s an artist at all, to helping out another classmate. She advises one of her classmates that he too, is an artist and asks him to sign his work.
The illustrations play a big part in this book too. The vibrant colors really illustrate the symbolism of the creativity every individual possesses. We see Vashti’s dots get larger and more colorful as she taps into her creative mind. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book because of the character development and illustrations. ( )
  BlairThompson | Sep 19, 2016 |
In my opinion this is an awesome book that I believe all students need to read, especially ELL students. The first thing I loved about this book was how it pushes readers to reflect upon what it feels like to think one cannot do something/ is bad at something, but with the right mindset can do anything. In the beginning of the book, Vashti has drawn nothing on her piece of paper in art class and tells her teacher, " I just can't draw". However, as the book unfolds and her teacher makes the dot Vashti drew special, she then has the courage to continue on with drawing and try to make more. This is great for students because it allows them to think of something they themselves think they cannot achieve, but with a positive outlook, can do it. Especially with ELL students, not being able to speak English right off the bat may feel intimidating and make other tasks difficult; this book can show them though that even though they believe that they cannot, they can. Another aspect of this book I enjoyed, was the illustrations. Throughout the book, most of the background images and even characters were drawn in black and white; the dots that Vashti drew however, were painted in color. This really helped the author get the message across how something so small and simple, like a dot, helped turn Vashti's outlook around. The big message of this story is to help inspire children in being creative and to never give up on something. ( )
  cdovel1 | Sep 12, 2016 |
Dedicated to Mr. Matson, my 7th grade math teacher, who dared me to "make my mark."
Art class was over, but Vashti sat glued to her chair.
"Hmmph! I can make a better dot than THAT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763619612, Hardcover)

A frustrated grade school artist, Vashti sits slumped over her blank piece of paper at the end of art class. "I just CAN'T draw!" she tells her teacher. Her teacher first uses wit, then subtle yet clever encouragement to inspire her student to go beyond her insecurities and become, in the words of a younger boy who "can’t" draw either, "a really great artist."

Peter H. Reynolds crafts a quiet, pleasing story in The Dot--one that will strike a chord with children who have outgrown the self-assurance of kindergarten and begun to doubt their own greatness. His marvelous watercolor, ink, and, yes, tea illustrations are appealing in a Quentin Blakey way, especially as Vashti begins to go wild with her dots. The delightfully open-ended conclusion will have readers of all ages contemplating how they can make their own mark in the world. Highly recommended. (Ages 5 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:36 -0400)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,700,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible