Dot by Peter H. Reynolds

Dot (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Peter H. Reynolds

1,2881946,082 (4.54)9
Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Info:Walker Childrens Paperbacks (2004), Paperback
Tags:easy, teacher, creativity, encouragement, gr. k-3

The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds (2003)

This is another book that I loved because it is about a teacher that didn't give up on her student. I love when teachers go the extra mile to make sure their student's succeed and find happiness. ( )
  glguerra | Nov 28, 2015 |
The Dot is about finding your mark and making it. This is the first of the trilogy. Vashti has recently convinced herself that she cannot draw. This book is all about finding your "mark" and being creative! I love this book and think it is important for children to be creative and be unique! ( )
  act239 | Nov 6, 2015 |
THE DOT by Peter H. Reynolds is a story about a girl named Vashti. The young girl doesn't think she can draw anything. However her teacher tells her she can. Young Vashti was still very unsure of her art and created a single dot on the paper and told her teacher this is her art. The teacher took the dot and had it framed she know that all the young girl needed was a little encouragement. When the girl walked into the classroom the next day she found her single dot famed and hanging on the board. She was excited to see her art on show for everyone to see. This small bit of encouragement cased Vashti developed self confidence in her art. She then began making dots and more dots. She colored dots both large and small and created images with the use of only dots. At the end of the story there was a young child that to felt like he could not draw art; however Vashti much like teacher did gave the young child a boost of encouragement.
Personal Reaction:
I think this book is very encouraging and show that a simple kind gestor can go a long way. The book is not too long and the illustrations are bright and I eye catching. I loved that this book taught self-confidence to the main character. I think children today seem to at one time or another struggle with confidence and by having books like this they can relate to and understand helps children see that confidence can easily be gained.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.The teacher could teach a lesson over self-esteem and confidence.
2. The students could create their own Dot Art with various art materials. (Old Newspaper, Paint, markers, clay)
3. The teacher could ask the class to tell of a time when they lacked confidence to do a task and how they gained the confidence to beat the task.
  KayleeClaunch | Oct 28, 2015 |
Summary: The Dot is about a girl that doesn't believe she can draw. Her teacher encourages her to make a mark on the paper and sign her name. The teacher then displays it over her desk the next day and the girl realizes she can do better than that and starts creating all kinds of dot artwork. She then talks to a boy that says he can't draw, so she encourages him the same way her teacher encouraged her.

Personal Reaction: This is a great book to help children build self-esteem. Many times I hear, "I can't..." and the refusal to try. I love how this teacher lets her take something so simple as a dot and shows the girl that she can draw.

Classroom Extensions: Make an art gallery in the classroom to display unique student artwork. This can be an ongoing activity throughout the school year.
Place a white paper on a tray and drop a marble into paint. Have the kids start by making their dot with the marble and then allow them to roll the marble around making their own design. ( )
  Chelsea.DaVoult | Oct 25, 2015 |
36 months - So glad I grabbed this at the thrift store. Not feeling inspired, have a bit of artist block... just make a mark and see where it takes you. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Dedicated to Mr. Matson, my 7th grade math teacher, who dared me to "make my mark."
Art class was over, but Vashti sat glued to her chair.
"Hmmph! I can make a better dot than THAT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763619612, Hardcover)

A frustrated grade school artist, Vashti sits slumped over her blank piece of paper at the end of art class. "I just CAN'T draw!" she tells her teacher. Her teacher first uses wit, then subtle yet clever encouragement to inspire her student to go beyond her insecurities and become, in the words of a younger boy who "can’t" draw either, "a really great artist."

Peter H. Reynolds crafts a quiet, pleasing story in The Dot--one that will strike a chord with children who have outgrown the self-assurance of kindergarten and begun to doubt their own greatness. His marvelous watercolor, ink, and, yes, tea illustrations are appealing in a Quentin Blakey way, especially as Vashti begins to go wild with her dots. The delightfully open-ended conclusion will have readers of all ages contemplating how they can make their own mark in the world. Highly recommended. (Ages 5 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:36 -0400)

Vashti believes that she cannot draw, but her art teacher's encouragement leads her to change her mind.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible