Dot by Peter H. Reynolds

Dot (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Peter H. Reynolds

Member:thuvan0301
Title:Dot
Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Info:
Tags:easy, teacher, creativity, encouragement, gr. k-3

The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds (2003)

Saw the author at the NERTCL luncheon at NELA in Boxborough.

Vashti insists to her art teacher that she CAN'T draw; her teacher insists she at least make a mark on the page. Vashti does; then her teacher asks her to sign it. The next day Vashti's dot is framed by the teacher's desk, and Vashti thinks, "I can make a better dot than THAT..." ( )
  JennyArch | Oct 21, 2014 |
In this story, a girl named Vashti who thought she couldn't draw. Her teacher says, just make a mark and see where it takes you". So Vashti dabs a dot on the paper and signs it. Her teacher was proud of her so this encourgaed Vashti to draw more dots. This time she would use more colors and sizes of dots. Vashti put her art in the gallery and a boy came and told her how good her drawing were. He said he wished he could drawlike her and Vashti said you can!

My reaction:
I loved this book. It showed a little girl with no confidence in her drawing and by her teacher encouraging her to just make a mark it took her to having so much confidence that she loved to draw.

Classroom Extension:
1. Give the students a piece of paper and tell them to make a dot and see where it goes.
2. Have the children look around the classroom and see how many dots they can find.
  AmberDimmitt | Oct 16, 2014 |
I thought this book was fantastic, especially for a future teacher to read. I hope that one day I can act the way the teacher acted towards vashati about her artwork. The teacher was very positive, and didn't let vashati give up on herself. I thought it was adorable how the teacher hung up her artwork above her desk. I think this was a great example of how even the slightest bit of positive feedback can go a long way for discouraged students. ( )
  kcrous3 | Oct 8, 2014 |
An all-time favorite, this book shows the power of a teacher who encourages the creativity of an insecure child. ( )
  pataustin | Sep 1, 2014 |
Vashti sits alone in an empty art room with a blank sheet of paper until her teacher tells her to "just make a mark and see where it takes you." When she returns to art class, the single dot she had made is framed and hanging above her teacher's desk. This encourages Vashti to continue to make her mark on the world.

Simple, yet colorful, this endearing tale of self-discovery is a great book for children of all ages, especially those who lack the confidence to step out and find their inner artist. ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 13, 2014 |
Dedicated to Mr. Matson, my 7th grade math teacher, who dared me to "make my mark."
Art class was over, but Vashti sat glued to her chair.
"Hmmph! I can make a better dot than THAT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763619612, Hardcover)

A frustrated grade school artist, Vashti sits slumped over her blank piece of paper at the end of art class. "I just CAN'T draw!" she tells her teacher. Her teacher first uses wit, then subtle yet clever encouragement to inspire her student to go beyond her insecurities and become, in the words of a younger boy who "can’t" draw either, "a really great artist."

Peter H. Reynolds crafts a quiet, pleasing story in The Dot--one that will strike a chord with children who have outgrown the self-assurance of kindergarten and begun to doubt their own greatness. His marvelous watercolor, ink, and, yes, tea illustrations are appealing in a Quentin Blakey way, especially as Vashti begins to go wild with her dots. The delightfully open-ended conclusion will have readers of all ages contemplating how they can make their own mark in the world. Highly recommended. (Ages 5 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:18 -0400)

Vashti believes that she cannot draw, but her art teacher's encouragement leads her to change her mind.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,411,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible