Dot by Peter H. Reynolds

Dot (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Peter H. Reynolds

Member:thuvan0301
Title:Dot
Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Info:Walker Childrens Paperbacks (2004), Paperback
Tags:easy, teacher, creativity, encouragement, gr. k-3

The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds (2003)

I really love this book and love reading it. I love the author and love the theme of art that is in many of his books. The Dot is about a girl who hates to draw and art class. She tells her teacher she "can't draw" and her teacher helps her see how she is an artist. The teacher tells her to draw a dot on her paper and sign in. Each day, she then keeps drawing dots until she has a whole gallery of different dots that turn into art she loves. I really love this book because of the ending. At the end, another boy comes along and says he doesn't know how to draw besides a straight line. The main character tells him to draw a line and sign it. I really like this because the book comes full circle and the main character goes from hating art, to loving it, and also showing other people how to love art also. The language is descriptive and clear. The writing is engaging and organized. The characters are believable and easy to relate to. The plot is chronological and flows. The book is easy to read and well paced. The illustrations support the text and have a specific style to the author. The big idea of the book is art, accepting yourself, and overcoming obstacles. ( )
  smeyer8 | Oct 28, 2014 |
I loved this book for so many reasons. My favorite aspect of the book was how it came full circle. The book started with the main character saying she couldn’t draw and her teacher said, “Just make a Mark and see where it takes you” and haves her sign the paper. Then at the end Vashti says the same thing to another student. I really liked the pay it forward aspect that the full circle created. Another part of the book I liked are the illustrations. I loved that the characters are in black and white and the background around them was in color. I think this helped to draw attention to the characters while emphasizing the background at the same time. My favorite illustrations were seeing all of her artwork on the walls. There are a wide variety of styles and colors. Finally I loved the characters. Not only were the characters relatable to the readers but also they were also well developed. Vashti goes from not liking art and thinking she wasn’t an artist to loving art and encouraging others to pursue their art ability. I think the big idea/message of this story is to never stop believing in yourself or your abilities. ( )
  EmilyBeer | Oct 27, 2014 |
Saw the author at the NERTCL luncheon at NELA in Boxborough.

Vashti insists to her art teacher that she CAN'T draw; her teacher insists she at least make a mark on the page. Vashti does; then her teacher asks her to sign it. The next day Vashti's dot is framed by the teacher's desk, and Vashti thinks, "I can make a better dot than THAT..." ( )
  JennyArch | Oct 21, 2014 |
In this story, a girl named Vashti thought she couldn't draw. Her teacher says, just make a mark and see where it takes you". So Vashti dabs a dot on the paper and signs it. Her teacher was proud of her so this encouraged Vashti to draw more dots. This time she would use more colors and sizes of dots. Vashti put her art in the gallery and a boy came and told her how good her drawings were. He said he wished he could draw like her and Vashti said you can!

My reaction:
I loved this book. It showed a little girl with no confidence in her drawing Her teacher encouraging her to just make a mark to see where it goes ends up giving her so much confidence in herself.

Classroom Extension:
1. Give the students a piece of paper and tell them to make a dot and see where it goes.
2. Have the children look around the classroom and see how many dots they can find.
  AmberDimmitt | Oct 16, 2014 |
I thought this book was fantastic, especially for a future teacher to read. I hope that one day I can act the way the teacher acted towards vashati about her artwork. The teacher was very positive, and didn't let vashati give up on herself. I thought it was adorable how the teacher hung up her artwork above her desk. I think this was a great example of how even the slightest bit of positive feedback can go a long way for discouraged students. ( )
  kcrous3 | Oct 8, 2014 |
Dedicated to Mr. Matson, my 7th grade math teacher, who dared me to "make my mark."
Art class was over, but Vashti sat glued to her chair.
"Hmmph! I can make a better dot than THAT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763619612, Hardcover)

A frustrated grade school artist, Vashti sits slumped over her blank piece of paper at the end of art class. "I just CAN'T draw!" she tells her teacher. Her teacher first uses wit, then subtle yet clever encouragement to inspire her student to go beyond her insecurities and become, in the words of a younger boy who "can’t" draw either, "a really great artist."

Peter H. Reynolds crafts a quiet, pleasing story in The Dot--one that will strike a chord with children who have outgrown the self-assurance of kindergarten and begun to doubt their own greatness. His marvelous watercolor, ink, and, yes, tea illustrations are appealing in a Quentin Blakey way, especially as Vashti begins to go wild with her dots. The delightfully open-ended conclusion will have readers of all ages contemplating how they can make their own mark in the world. Highly recommended. (Ages 5 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:18 -0400)

Vashti believes that she cannot draw, but her art teacher's encouragement leads her to change her mind.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,054,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible