Dot by Peter H. Reynolds

Dot (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Peter H. Reynolds

1,1971876,697 (4.56)9
Member:thuvan0301
Title:Dot
Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Info:Walker Childrens Paperbacks (2004), Paperback
Tags:easy, teacher, creativity, encouragement, gr. k-3

The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds (2003)

The Dot - Peter H. Reynolds

Response - Vashti, the girl in this story, doesn't think she is an artist. That is, until her teacher encourages her to "just make a mark," and this leads to Vashti's journey will her artwork. It all starts with just one dot, and as she is encouraged, she learns that her dots are just as artistic and creative as any other piece of art. I loved this story about Vashti! The Dot speaks a lot of truth to the choices we have as instructors. We can cultivate creativity, or we can crush it. I hope I choose to cultivate and encourage creativity in my classroom, and I look forward to using this book in my classroom before we begin artistic expression ( )
  kconnolly14 | Jul 22, 2015 |
This realistic fiction is about a girl, Vashti, who doesn't believe she can draw. The art teacher asks her to draw a dot and sign it. Vashti comes to class the next day to see that her teacher has framed her dot and hung it on the wall. This inspires Vashti to draw more dots, and she begins to love drawing and art and she draws all kinds of dots. Vashti enters her art in an art show, and a boy approaches her and says that he wishes he could draw like that. Vashti then tells him to sign it. ( )
  sommerkirk | Apr 19, 2015 |
This is a realistic fiction story about a young girl encouraged to draw by her teacher. The young girl didn't think she was truly capable of drawing but her teacher told her just to start with one little mark and "sign it." This mark was a dot. One day when the girl came to school she noticed the dot was hung up over her teacher's desk. She became determined that she could make much better dots and so she set out of a mission to do just that. Later, her work was put into a school art show where she got the opportunity to encourage a little boy that anyone can draw. ( )
  Ebarclift13 | Apr 13, 2015 |
Vashti is a girl that doesn't think she is talented enough to draw, so she doesn't. Her teacher tells her to just make a dot. Then the teacher frames the picture of the dot. Vashti can't believe it and decides to draw a better dot. With this she really starts expanding her creativity and believing that she is good at something. This is a great book to get kids involved in trying things they don't think they are good at. A classroom extension of this could be to have all the students do an art project of their own dot inspired work. This could also be used as a collaborative project where 3-4 people in a group paint their own dot and they make a collage or a larger dot picture as a group. Then everyone can stand up together and share what their part of the group dot is and why they made it that way. ( )
  emedwards | Mar 22, 2015 |
This book is about Vashti and how she doesn't think that she can draw. One day her art teacher challenged her to try, to just draw a single dot, so she did. Her art teacher asked her to sign her art and she hung it above her desk. Vashti saw her dot and she knew that she could make a better dot, so she did. She made all sorts of new dots all of different shapes and colors. One day a young boy came up to her and told her that he wished that he could draw like Vashti did. Vashti handed him a piece of paper and told him to draw a line on it. He handed the paper back to her with a squiggly line drawn on it. Vashti then told him, "sign it". Genre: realistic fiction because it could happen, but it probably hasn't ( )
  amassingale | Mar 10, 2015 |
Dedicated to Mr. Matson, my 7th grade math teacher, who dared me to "make my mark."
Art class was over, but Vashti sat glued to her chair.
"Hmmph! I can make a better dot than THAT!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763619612, Hardcover)

A frustrated grade school artist, Vashti sits slumped over her blank piece of paper at the end of art class. "I just CAN'T draw!" she tells her teacher. Her teacher first uses wit, then subtle yet clever encouragement to inspire her student to go beyond her insecurities and become, in the words of a younger boy who "can’t" draw either, "a really great artist."

Peter H. Reynolds crafts a quiet, pleasing story in The Dot--one that will strike a chord with children who have outgrown the self-assurance of kindergarten and begun to doubt their own greatness. His marvelous watercolor, ink, and, yes, tea illustrations are appealing in a Quentin Blakey way, especially as Vashti begins to go wild with her dots. The delightfully open-ended conclusion will have readers of all ages contemplating how they can make their own mark in the world. Highly recommended. (Ages 5 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:36 -0400)

Vashti believes that she cannot draw, but her art teacher's encouragement leads her to change her mind.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,424,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible