Death Note, Volume 1: Boredom by Tsugumi…

Death Note, Volume 1: Boredom (2003)

by Tsugumi Ohba, Takeshi Obata (Illustrator)

English (48)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (54)
I really enjoyed Volume 1 of this manga. I have seen the anime and I really enjoyed it, but I do think that I enjoy the manga better. This books are filled with action, mystery, and suspense. The characters each have their own personality and the story line is intense and unpredictable. I love the complexity of the idea that the author had for this manga. This series seems to translate very well into English. I cannot wait to read more of this manga series. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
Intriguing idea where a teenager finds a note-book. Names written in the notebook die. The teenager starts to make the world a better place by killing off criminals but runs foul of Interpol and the mysterious "L". Its really interesting morally exploring whether you could make the world a better place by killing off bad people or would you become bad yourself in so doing. ( )
  jerhogan | Apr 23, 2014 |
4.5 Stars! I bought the complete boxed set of this series after reading Vol.1 from the library. ( )
  CaliSoleil | Mar 2, 2014 |
As a relative newcomer to Manga, this reader was unprepared for the beauty, intelligence, and intensity of Death Note, volume 1. The graphics enhance the story of when a rogue Shinigami (Japanese death god) "drops" his death note book into the mortal world. Ace student Light Yagami finds the book and slowly begins to realize his remarkable discovery. As the new owner of the Death Note, Light learns that when he enters someone's name in the book (and picture his face... no mixups, please!) that person will die. In addition, the book's first owner, the Shinigami, appears to Light as a kind of malevolent ghost. At first, Light muses about whom he might want to see dead. Then when confronted with a sudden hostage situation, he is prompted to kill the perpetrator. He begins to systematically rid the world of criminals. The police are not amused, of course, and send special forces after him. It becomes a match of wits between Light and the law (and did we mention Light's father is the chief of police?) Subsequent volumes are sure to be packed with action, deal-making (the Shinigami wants Light's soul...) and moral quandaries. ( )
  mjspear | Jan 25, 2014 |
My opinion of this manga has been tainted by the anime. How does one regain the initial suspense and wonder they have when they encounter a work for the first time? Besides that, it can be hard to maintain a fresh look on the first work in a series when you've seen the ending of the last. Still, I'll try because I think Death note is worth reading.

Death Note constantly questions ones moral compass, which is quite profound for a comic strip geared towards 17 year-olds about a magical notebook of murder. Besides asking the obvious "what would you do?" question that this book poses, the question that kept surfacing in my mind was "Why am a rooting for the bad guy?" and there is no helping it. By the end of this book I found myself vested. I may have set myself apart from the Light Yugami, the protagonist, and proclaimed up and down that I would never make the choices he did, but like it or not, I reveled in his successes.

You could argue that real genius was afoot when Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata thought this one up. If Light had been an adult, the reader would have called foul play. By making him young though, his flaws in moral judgment seem forgivable, and it stirs up the raw emotion everyone once had as an adolescent. It is also interesting that the death note itself, although fantastical in nature, parallels the weapons in our day, being able to strike people down from far away without getting one's hands dirty. That right there is where the age of Light really matters most, its hard to sympathize or even relate to nations and governments deciding they must purge the world of evil, but one can wrap their head around such feelings in a high school student.

I was able to forgive the few shortcomings interspersed throughout the manga rather quickly. Personally, I wanted more buildup in the beginning. It would have been interesting to me to see what kind of person Light was before he found the Death Note. Also, Light's declarations of righteousness throughout the comic can be over the top, but in some ways this hyperbole echoes back to the fact that Light is representing people and powers that must feel that they are so correct in their actions that they border on godliness.

The fantastical nature of this work also speaks to how delusional the idea of cleansing the world of evil is... or getting rid of all the terrorists, or I dare say the united states epic war on drugs. This idea, that through sheer willpower and determination we can succeed in removing that which we find repugnant. I think that is where Death Note shines, in showing us how desirable such things can be, while reminding us how unrealistic such goals are.

Attribution: http://gestclarinetist.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/death-note-volume-1-tsugumi-ohba... ( )
  jakegest | Dec 24, 2013 |

Ohba, Tsugumiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Obata, TakeshiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Same old thing, day after day...What a bore."

"This world is a rotten mess..."

Light tests the boundaries of the Death Note's powers as L and the police begin to close in. Luckily Light's father is the head of the Japanese National Police Agency and leaves vital information about the case lying around the house. With access to his father's files, Light can keep one step ahead of the authorities. But who is the strange man following him, and how can Light guard against enemies whose names he doesn't know?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible