Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

Alas, Babylon (edition 2005)

by Pat Frank, David Brin (Foreword)

2,954931,943 (4.02)1 / 168
Member:whiten06
Title:Alas, Babylon
Authors:Pat Frank
Other authors:David Brin (Foreword)
Info:Harper (2005), Trade Paperback, 316 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, 1959

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, darcy36, MacMasterFamily, mmeyers9, Smiler69, obsessedbybooks, RevJames, lilfries
Legacy LibrariesHarry S Truman
    On the Beach by Nevil Shute (lisanicholas)
    lisanicholas: On the Beach is another novel that picks up just after a worldwide nuclear war in the 1960s -- this time, in Australia, as the survivors await the arrival of the radioactive cloud that will doom them. Bleaker in outlook than Alas, Babylon, Shute's novel focuses on how individuals deal with the almost certainty of their own imminent annhilation.… (more)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven (saltmanz)
    Arslan, or A Wind from Bukhara by M. J. Engh (infiniteletters)
    The Postman by David Brin (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Postman was influenced by Alas, Babylon.
    One Second After by William R. Forstchen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Alas, Babylon influenced One Second After.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (Ruth72)
    Lights Out by David Crawford (ajwseven)
    Forbidden Area by Pat Frank (BeckyJG)

English (93)  Polish (1)  All languages (94)
Wow, I am so glad I read this book. I have always recommended Lucifer's Hammer to people looking for a good, relatively realistic post-apocalyptic novel. Alas, Babylon is just as good, if not better. I had never heard of this book or the author until I started researching the best apocalypse novels (I had an itch that only they could scratch). This novel is widely considered to be the best of its kind. I agree. ( )
  ScribbleKey | Jun 11, 2014 |
First read this for a 9th grade English class. Now, at 29, it's still one of my favorite books. Written in the '50s during the height of the cold war it explores what happens when mutually assured destruction actually occurs and a small town in central Florida (Yes! I'm a Floridian!) has to survive on its own. It is very very good. Everyone should read this, at least once. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
This book was required reading for my Modern Literature and Mass Communication class back in high school and I never forgot it. Written in 1959 , it now appears dated, but the lessons learned by its characters are timeless. ( )
  Joanne53 | Feb 12, 2014 |
When I saw Alas, Babylon in the bookstore, I recognized it as a classic title but knew next to nothing about it. So, I picked up a copy to read on vacation. My verdict? Very good book -- not a very good vacation read!
This is one of the first post-nuclear apocalypse tales, published in the thick of the Cold War in 1959. Although world events have made the political backdrop of this novel obsolete, Frank tells a tale that still resonates.
Frank's writing feels surprisingly contemporary, even if the society it depicts is an American South that no longer really exists. (The treatment of people of color in this book is absolutely painful sometimes, but Frank is clearly not happy about it.)
The broad strokes of this story may feel familiar to us now, because we've been exposed to other post-apocalyptic tales in which people are suddenly stripped of technology, medicine and the comforts of modern civilization. In fact, if you watched the television series Jericho, you'll see a huge amount of similarity in Alas, Babylon.
I recommend this book simply because it's well-written and thoughtful. I just don't recommend it as vacation reading... it somehow didn't mesh with tropical surroundings, froofy drinks and sunny beaches!
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
This 1959 classic story of survival following a nuclear war set the bar high for all apocalyptic stories to come. Author Pat Frank turned to his own personal expertise to authentically paint a vivid picture of a group of neighbors in Florida who face life without electricity, running water, medicines, readily available food, and a host of other things we take for granted. Their indomitable spirit and determination to survive the holocaust makes for a page-turner of a book. Highly recommended. ( )
  susanahern | Feb 6, 2014 |

Frank, PatAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brin, DavidForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frank, PatForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Fort Repose, a river town in Central Florida, it was said that sending a message by Western Union was the same as broadcasting it over the combined networks.

The story of a group of people who rely on their own courage and ingenuity to survive in a small Florida town that escaped nuclear bombing.
The nukes fall on Florida
Soon after so does technology
And the honor of men

The classic apocalyptic novel that stunned the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:08 -0400)

When a nuclear holocaust ravages the United States, a thousand years of civilization are stripped away overnight, and tens of millions of people are killed instantly. But for one small town in Florida, miraculously spared, the struggle is just beginning, as men and women of all backgrounds join together to confront the darkness.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,237,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible