Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

Gods in Alabama

by Joshilyn Jackson

Recently added bycyncie, private library, Deborahrs, KariLynnLee, CMDH5, Hank.K, Jessica.Leigh, choubetcha

English (80)  German (1)  All (81)
I thought I saw all the plot twists coming but was I wrong. What a great storyline - had me thinking of Fanny Flagg. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Much like "A Grown Up Kind of Pretty," by the same author, this book just shines with very clever characters and a bit of mystery. ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
The writing was sound, but it was just too disturbing to me to love this book as I recall. I wasn't totally thrilled with the the characters, either. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
For Betty before me and Maisy after
There are Gods in Alabama: Jack Daniel's, high school quarterbacks, trucks, big tits, and also Jesus.

For 10 years Arlene has kept her promises, and God has kept His end of the bargain. Until now. When an old schoolmate from Possett turns up at Arlene's door in Chicago asking questions about Jim Beverly, former quarterback and god of Possett High, Arlene's break with her former hometown is forced to an end. At the same time, Burr, her long-time boyfriend, has raised an ultimatum: introduce him to her family or consider him gone. Arlene loves him dearly but knows her lily white (not to mention deeply racist)Southern Baptist family will not understand her relationship with an African American boyfriend. Reluctantly, Arlene bows to the pressure, and she and Burr embark on the long-avoided road trip back home. As Arlene digs through guilt and deception, her patched-together alibi begins to unravel, and she discovers how far she will go for love and a chance at redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

Ten years after leaving, Arlene Fleet finds she still has not escaped Possett, Alabama, when an old classmate turns up asking questions about a crime Arlene committed in her youth, forcing her into a confrontation with her past.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,448,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible