The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman

The Sunne in Splendour (original 1982; edition 1990)

by Sharon Kay Penman

Member:cerce7
Title:The Sunne in Splendour
Authors:Sharon Kay Penman
Info:Ballantine Books (1990), Paperback, 944 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Historical Fiction, Plantagenet

The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman (1982)

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey (LisaMaria_C)
    LisaMaria_C: For me The Daughter of Time and The Sunne in Splendour go hand in hand. The first is the classic mystery "solving" the mystery of the Two Princes in the Tower and the second a sympathetic biographical novel of Richard III which is well-researched and moving.… (more)
    We Speak No Treason by Rosemary Hawley Jarman (Imprinted)

Interesting history of a most maligned king, Richard III. Just awfully long!
Changed my mind, since I only read about 1/3, I will re-read and finish.
Actually went back and re-read and finished.  Penman's knowledge of this time in history is outstanding. ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
Absolutely fantastic book. The only thing I knew about Richard III before reading this was from Shakespeare's play so I really enjoyed finally reading a more truthful and accurate version of his life. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |
It took me a while to get through this, but I'm glad I picked it up. Generally i like fast paced, action, humor, sex, anything to force my scattered brain to pay attention to what I'm reading. This was a great change of pace. I enjoyed it very much and Penman writes beautifully. It's writing I can learn a lot from. I recommend it if you're looking for an enjoyable summer read, you know, on the beach with nothing but time to enjoy a good book. One of those reads. ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
In the Sunne in Splendour, Sharon Kay Penman vividly brings to life one of the most tumultuous periods in English History; the late 15th century. The principal characters are richly developed and engaging, the level of historical detail is astounding and, despite the book’s immense length (900 pages), the narrative moves quickly and is utterly absorbing. Readers who love historical fiction will not be disappointed.
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
I hated nearing the end of this book because I'd fallen in love with Richard and of course knew how horribly it would end. This book prompted me to read a few more novels set in the War of the Roses but none came close to The Sunne in Splendour. ( )
  KateVz | Jan 13, 2016 |
To Julie McCaskey Wolff
Richard did not become frightened until darkness began to settle over the woods.
And what of those who didn't know him? What happens, too, when all who knew him are dead, when people know only what they've been told? What truth will we be talking about, then?

"The reader is left with the haunting sensation that perhaps the good a man does can live after him--especially in the hands of a dedicated historian."
SAN DIEGO UNION
In this stirring historical novel, Sharon Kay Penman redeems Richard III from his villainous role in history as the hulking, evil hunchback. This dazzling recreation of his life is filled with the sights and sounds of battle, and the passions of the highborn. Most of all, it brings to life a gifted man whose greatest sin was that he held principles too firmly for the times in which he lived, and loved too deeply to survive love's loss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:22 -0400)

Departing from the traditional Shakespearian and Tudor historical portraits, this saga depicts the love story of Richard III and Anne Neville against the backdrop of royal family intrigue.

Sharon Kay Penman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Sharon Kay Penman chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 10, 2009 to Aug 21, 2009. Read the chat.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,843,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible