The Reckoning by Sharon Kay Penman

The Reckoning (1991)

by Sharon Kay Penman

Recently added bydmaness, Roundheadlady, DinHeru, C.Vick, tarheel96, private library, Karen1225, dante595

Third of the trilogy. I enjoyed this one more, because the heroine was less caught in the middle of the conflict. Still lots of war and battle scenes. Edward was more humane than I had expected, even while using his cousin, Ellen as a pawn in the conflict of wills with Llewelyn (grandson of the first Llewelyn.). The brother Ddavyd was a manipulative character, constantly changing sides when it benefitted him. ( )
  Pmaurer | Nov 14, 2013 |
The last book in Penman’s Welsh trilogy. This book was so insanely tragic, I can’t even tell you. I read it with a (metaphorical) hand over my eyes, thinking, “SURELY NOT. SURELY this will not actually happen as I think it’s going to.” But it did. Nonetheless, it’s very good. [May 2011] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Follow on from "Falls the Shadow". Picks up after a gap of 5 years, and concentrates on the story of Llewelyn and the end of an independant Wales. I'm left with the urge the give Edward I a massive thump for being so blinkered and almost hypocritical, as well as to give David (Llewelyn's younger brother) a dammed good slapping for being both such a schemer and so very naieve at one and the same time. Terribly sad in lots of places, and the ending is very bleak. I'm torn between wanting Llewelyn and wales to survive and knowing that they don't. But it is a good read. ( )
  Helenliz | Apr 1, 2013 |
... still icky... ( )
  emmakendon | Dec 26, 2009 |
I can only say that I love Ms. Penman's books. Truly the best kind of historical fiction in that it educates and entertains. She completely has pulled me into a world and a time foreign to me. This isn't reading about Ancient Rome, King Henry VIII, the Civil War -- this is 13th century Wales. I know neither the history nor the legend so this finale of the Welsh trilogy was riveting to me. One thing about keeping true to historical facts -- the truth respects no laws of the novel. Jesu forfend, our heroes and heroines might actually die at any seemingly mundane moment!

I have only praise. I teared up, I routed hard for certain people. I grieved. I really enjoyed the character of Davydd ap Griffuth -- what an enigma. I enjoyed his daughter Caitlin as well, but was sad to read at the end that she was fictional. I am certainly seeing that there is an over the top idealistic love shared by many of our central spouses in these novels - this has been a running theme -- yet even prudish me falls for it every time.

I am always sad to leave one of these odysseys -- I am thankful there are more by this author to read but sad that I am done with this trilogy. It was fantastic! One last admirable thing -- not too many writers choose to tell history sympathetically from the side of the vanquished. Penman does; which leaves the reader with a sense of lingering heartbreak. ( )
1 vote jhowell | May 17, 2009 |
To my parents
There were no stars.

“Never forget, Llewelyn, that the world’s greatest fool is a Welshman who trusts an English king.”

His father’s words haunt Llewelyn ap Gruffydd, Prince of Wales, who has been ruling uneasily over his fractious countrymen. Above all else, Llewelyn fears that his life and his own dream—of an independent, united Wales—might be lost to Edward I’s desire to expand his English empire.

Alive from the pages of history, this is the hauntingly beautiful and compelling tale of a game poised to play itself out to its bloody finale as English and Welsh cross swords in a reckoning that must mean disaster for one side or the other.

For anyone who has ever wanted to experience the rich tapestry of British history and lore, this bold and romantic adventure must be read.

"Penman's characters are so shrewdly imagined, so full of resonant human feeling that they seem to be on the page....Most compelling is the portrait of the Welsh as wild and rugged as their landscape."
SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
Here, alive from the pages of history, is the compelling tale of a Celtic society ruled by Llewelyn, Prince of Wales, on a collison course with a feudal realm of Edward I. WIth this last book in the extraordinary trilogy that began with HERE BE DRAGONS and continued in FALLS THE SHADOW, Sharon Kay Penman has written a beautiful and moving conclusion to her medieval saga. For everyone who has read the earlier books in this incomparable series or ever wanted to experience the rich tapestry of British history and lore, this bold and romantic adventure must be read.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:22 -0400)

The final novel in a trilogy of thirteenth century England, which started with 'Here be dragons' and 'Falls the shadow'.

Sharon Kay Penman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Sharon Kay Penman chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 10, 2009 to Aug 21, 2009. Read the chat.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible