The Serpent on the Crown by Elizabeth Peters

The Serpent on the Crown (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Elizabeth Peters

Member:alisonsteel
Title:The Serpent on the Crown
Authors:Elizabeth Peters
Info:Avon (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages

The Serpent on the Crown by Elizabeth Peters (2005)

I've read the whole series and have enjoyed them for an entertaining fast read. Unfortunately, this one fell flat. A friend loaned me the next one in the series so I'll give it a try and hope it's back to the level of the earlier books. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
It's 1922 and the Emerson family has returned to the Valley of the Kings. Before they can even get settled back into their daily life, a widow implores Emerson to accept a small golden statue, which she claims carries a curse that killed her husband, a collector of antiquities. Shortly thereafter the woman disappears and several attempts to steal the statue are attempted. Everyone claims the kidnapping was done by a black afrit, which is a bad spirit. Before long a body is discovered and the Peabody/Emerson household is back in the murder solving business.

The story is nicely played out and several plots are woven together for complexity. Peabody’s Victorian rhetoric can go over the top but the author injects plenty of humorous banter, lots of bluster from Emerson, and enough swipes at Victorian propriety to keep the story lively. Veteran narrator Barbara Rosenblat doesn't miss any of the sly humor that readers/listeners have come to expect in the series. Ms. Rosenblat successfully inhabits diverse characters and presents distinctive voices that will entertain and amuse.

If you are a fan of the series you will enjoy this seventeenth book. I don't know if I would enjoy nearly as much if I was just reading it. I can't imagine a better narrator than Barbara Rosenblat who nails each one of the characters, book after book.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Serpent On The Crown, by Elizabeth Peters
( and a )

Synopsis: A priceless relic has been delivered to the Emerson home overlooking the Nile. But more than history surrounds this golden likeness of a forgotten king, for it is said early death will befall anyone who possesses it. The woman who implores the renowned family of archaeologists and adventurers to accept the cursed statue insists the ill-gotten treasure has already killed her husband. Further, she warns, unless it is returned to the tomb from which it was stolen, more will surely die. With the world finally at peace—and with Egypt's ancient mysteries opened to them once more—Amelia Peabody and her loved ones are plunged into a storm of secrets, treachery, and murder by a widow's strange story and even stranger request. Each step toward the truth reveals a new peril, suggesting this curse is no mere superstition. And the next victim of the small golden king could be any member of the close-knit clan—perhaps even Amelia herself.
In A Sentence: better than I previously remembered, but I still think the series starts to go downhill after book #12, and this is book #17.
My Thoughts: After a while, all the different things that happen to Amelia and her family just start to blend together. Even though I finished this yesterday, I can barely remember what happened at the beginning of the novel. When they discussed the facts of the case at the end of the story, my first immediate thought was, “wait, there was a boat involved? Huh?”
Despite my lapses in memory, I still enjoyed the read. For some reason I didn’t like this novel the last time I read this. So maybe the lowered expectations allowed me to enjoy it more this time around. The plot was interesting, with multiple things happening at once. The humor is still there, although it hasn’t changed much since the first novel. And Ramses is still my favorite.
I am looking forward to the end of this series. There are two books left, and I want to re-read Lord Of The Silent eventually (reading the abridged version ruined it!). So here we go! 17 down, 2 more to go!
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
One of the things I like the best about these later books in the series is getting Ramses point of view and of the tenderness that shows up unexpectedly between family members. This mystery was a bit complicated because there was more than one going on. A satisfying read. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 6, 2015 |
New York Times bestselling master of suspense, Elizabeth Peters, brings an exotic world of adventure, intrigue, and danger to vivid life, in a tale as powerful as ancient Egypt. The Emersons have returned to the Valley of the Kings in 1922 and Amelia Peabody and her family look forward to delving once more into the age-old mysteries buried in Egypt's ever-shifting sands. But a widow's strange story -- and even stranger... ( )
  Tutter | Mar 3, 2015 |
To Salima Ikram
He woke from a feverish sleep to see something bending over him.
I have robbed their nostrils of the breath of life
And made the dead of you fill their hearts
My serpent on your brow consumed them

-The Poetical Stela of Thutmose III

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006059179X, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:50 -0400)

It is 1922 and the world is at peace. The Peabody-Emerson family are enjoying an excavation in Egypt, but their digging is soon interrupted and they turn again to detecting, when they hear a lurid tale of a man's mysterious death. The widow of the dead man is convinced her husband was the victim of a curse, and implores the Emersons to return a small statue that she thinks killed him, to the tomb from which it was stolen. Having been banned from the Valley of the Kings, and just given permission to return to the Valley, the Emersons are cautious as they are aware it would be a serious mistake to start getting mixed up with tomb robbers. Then they realise that the curse may be more real than they ever imagined, and unless they find out the truth they could be the next victims.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,348,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible