Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J. R. R.…

Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (original 1969; edition 1969)

by Harvard Lampoon, Henry N Beard (Author), Douglas C Kenney (Author), Michael K Frith (Cover artist)

2,320372,722 (3.08)48
Member:justjim
Title:Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
Authors:Harvard Lampoon
Other authors:Henry N Beard (Author), Douglas C Kenney (Author), Michael K Frith (Cover artist)
Info:Signet (1969), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Weighed and Measured
Tags:Fantasy, Parody, Middle Earth, LotR

Bored of the Rings by Harvard Lampoon (1969)

The Dreamland Chronicles by Wm. Mark Simmons (DovSherman)
    DovSherman: In the introduction of the "Dreamland Chronicles," Simmons cites "Bored of the Rings" as his unlikely introduction to the fantasy genre. This influence is reflected in his inveterate use of humor and pun.
    National Lampoon's Doon by Ellis Weiner (TomWaitsTables)
    Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones (TomWaitsTables)
    The Tough Guide to Fantasyland: The Essential Guide to Fantasy Travel by Diana Wynne Jones (TomWaitsTables)

Sometimes this book reminded me of Monty Python. If you're in the right mood, it's brilliantly funny. And it's got more than it's fair share of immature potty-mouth humor and sexual innuendoes. However, the real humor kept me laughing out loud. I really enjoyed learning all the new names—Spam, Goodgulf Greyteeth, Sorhead, Stomper, and ballhog were some of my favorites.

I felt a little bit like a heretic reading this parody, though. It is just sacrilegious to see such honorable and courageous characters be reduced to such mockery. But then again, it takes a true Lord of the Rings fan to be able to enjoy this book. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 1, 2016 |
It's a parody/spoof; if you don't like Mad magazine or anything by National Lampoon -- don't read it. There are some really funny moments. I am a huge Lord of The Ring fan and suggest reading it in spurts versus wading in to read as a novel and getting numbed to all the humor. Then again, at time I first read, I had friends that seriously were offended because LOTR was such a holy grail for them that this book was almost sacreligious. I suspect Tolkien would get it. ( )

Harvard Lampoonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beard, Henry N.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Kenney, Douglas C.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, Peter W.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beauvais, DenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carrel, DouglasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frith, Michael KCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Do you like what you doth see ... ?' said the voluptuous elf-maiden as she provocatively parted the folds of her robe to reveal the rounded, shadowy glories within.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451452615, Paperback)

Written in the gloaming of their college days, just before they started National Lampoon, Douglas C. Kenney and Henry N. Beard wrote Bored of the Rings. It's dated--references to Nixon, drugs, and consumer products circa 1969 crowd every page--but darn it, Bored of the Rings is still funny nearly 30 years later: "'Goodbye, Dildo,' Frito said, stifling a sob. 'I wish you were coming with us.'

'Ah, yes. But I'm too old for that sort of thing now,' said the old boggie, feigning a state of total quadriplegia. 'Anyway, I have a few small gifts for you,' and he produced a lumpy parcel, which Frito opened somewhat unenthusiastically in view of Dildo's previous going-away present [the ring]. But the package only contained a short, Revereware sword, a bulletproof vest full of moth holes, and several well-thumbed novellas with titles like Elf Lust and Goblin Girl..."

Place yourself in the hands of these professional humorists: you won't be disappointed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:13 -0400)

In this parody of The Lord of the Rings, it's up to Frito Bugger and his band of misfits to carry the Great Ring to Fordor and cast it into the Zazu Pits.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,892,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible