Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Goodnight Moon (1947)

by Margaret Wise Brown

Other authors: Clement Hurd (Illustrator)

Series: Goodnight Moon

Recently added byprivate library, AmyGelle, GinandaGikendaasomin, Hannah_N., rwoody, kflach1, bookhog1614
    Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (KarenB73)
    KarenB73: zookeeper is locking up the zoo. Goes through the zoo saying goodnight to all the animals. same sing-song rhythm of goodnight moon. makes for a quiet get ready for bed book.
    The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (KarenB73)
    Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: When the little one is tired of same-o, same-o.

English (353)  French (1)  All languages (354)
Summary:
This book uses rhyming to describe a room and what is inside. It then goes on to wish goodnight to all the things inside the room.

Personal Reaction:
I love the colors used in the book. These colors will attract young readers. The rhyme scheme is simple and fun. This story can used at bedtime.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom, make a list of words and have the children match a word that rhymes.
2. You can also have the children create their own short rhyming poem. ( )
  angela.knox | Nov 11, 2014 |
This was a good book for a bed time story. It highlights aspects of saying goodnight to the moon and several other aspects of life. However, one negative thing about this book is the idea that it is only for one specific grade level and I feel as if kids could easily loose attention because of its low reading level.
  Jclark5 | Nov 3, 2014 |
The main theme of this book is to tell a lulling bed time story about saying good night to everything in the room.
I like this book a lot and feel that it's a good bed time story. One reason I liked this book was because of its repetition that will make it easy for the readers. For example, each sentence starts out by saying goodnight to something, "Goodnight comb. Goodnight brush. Goodnight nobody. Goodnight mush." I think that the rhyming as well as the repetition was really good and will captivate the readers.
Another think I liked about this book was the differences in color used in the illustration. For example, one page would be really colorful, and then you would turn the page and they would be black and white. The page where the text reads, "Goodnight nobody," the page is completely blank and the page next to it, "Goodnight mush," is a blank page with just a black and white bowl of mush. I think the variety in the story make it calming, it's not really bright which is the opposite of what you want when going to bed. ( )
  JamieLewis | Oct 27, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about the book “Goodnight Moon”. Even though “Goodnight Moon” is a classic book I do not think that children will be fully interested in the book. One aspect I did like was the writing. It flowed together nicely. “And there were three little bears sitting on chairs, and two little kittens and a pain of mittens”. An aspect that I had mixed feelings about was the illustrations. Some of the illustrations were in black and white and did not fill up the whole page but others filled up the entire page and were written in color. I think that children do not like black and white pictures because it does not appeal to them. The big idea of this story is to help children go to sleep. ( )
  amulve2 | Oct 16, 2014 |
This was my favorite book as a child. I loved the pictures. This would be a fun book to have a beginner reader start out with. The characters in the book, the rabbits, make it fun and entertaining for the audience. I would read this to students during a poetry unit. ( )
  dtolton93 | Oct 4, 2014 |

Brown, Margaret Wiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurd, ClementIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In the great green room
There was a telephone
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon

Goodnight Moon is a story about a little rabbit who says "goodnight" to every item in his home. These items include a pair of mittens, a young mouse, a comb, and a bowl full of mush. Illustrations are very simple; many of them are black and white drawings. The book is very short, but perfect for a bedtime story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0694003611, Board book)

Perhaps the perfect children's bedtime book, Goodnight Moon is a short poem of goodnight wishes from a young rabbit preparing for--or attempting to postpone--his own slumber. He says goodnight to every object in sight and within earshot, including the "quiet old lady whispering hush." Clement Hurd's illustrations are simple and effective, alternating between small ink drawings and wide, brightly colored views of the little rabbit's room.

Finding all of the items mentioned throughout the book within the pictures is a good bedtime activity--a reappearing little mouse is particularly pesky. By the end of the little rabbit's goodnight poem, the story has quieted to a whisper, and the drawings have darkened with nightfall. As you turn the last page, you can expect a sleepy smile and at least a yawn or two. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:43 -0400)

Goodnight to each of the objects in the great green room: goodnight chairs, goodnight comb, goodnight air. On board pages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,930,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible