Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Goodnight Moon (1947)

by Margaret Wise Brown

Other authors: Clement Hurd (Illustrator)

Series: Goodnight Moon

Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (KarenB73)
    KarenB73: zookeeper is locking up the zoo. Goes through the zoo saying goodnight to all the animals. same sing-song rhythm of goodnight moon. makes for a quiet get ready for bed book.
    The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (KarenB73)
    Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: When the little one is tired of same-o, same-o.

English (383)  French (1)  All languages (384)
This was and still is one of my favorite books! I like how the calm words and pictures truly make this a perfect bedtime story. The realistic, yet imaginative characters, like the bunny laying in the bed, and his mom in the rocking chair, make it relatable, although animals are taking people's places. I love how this book can be read in many different ways, such as a soft voice, to add effect. The message of this book is that everything sleeps, even the pictures on the walls and the moon. I find this to be an absolutely perfect bedtime story; it's timeless! ( )
  Milina_Moreno | Apr 6, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a great book to read to young children before they go to sleep. The sentence structure is very simple and repetitive which makes it easy for young readers to read. The story is organized in a way that the language is very calming to read which is good when putting a child to sleep. The illustrations are detailed but aren't too bright which makes them more somber which goes with the tone of the writing in order to get people tired and ready to fall asleep. I would recommend parents to read this to their young children in order to fall asleep. ( )
  jherrm1 | Apr 4, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a good book. I liked this book for multiple reasons. First, I liked the illustrations. Something I noticed about the illustrations while reading this book was that some are in color and same are in black and white. I like how the book showed big illustrations of the room in color, and then on another page it showed just an artifact from the room in black and white. For example, on one page there was an illustration of the “great green room” and on the next page there was an illustration of a a cow jumping over the moon. This picture was hung up on the wall in the room, but this time it was shown in black and white. Along with this illustration the text says, “The cow jumping over the moon”. Second, I liked the plot of the story. I think that the plot has aspects of real life situations, bedtime, and children saying goodnight to everything in their room. Instead of real people, the story used a rabbit saying “goodnight light and the red balloon…goodnight bears and goodnight chairs”. Third, I liked the patterned language throughout the book. The author used rhyming words like “Goodnight clocks and goodnight socks” that made reading the story more fun. Overall, I think the main idea of this book is to relate to its targeted audience, young children, by saying goodnight to everything before going to bed. ( )
  LaurenVormack | Mar 30, 2015 |
this book is good for younger children. It focuses on going to bed and calming down. It can help create good memories of reading within a child.
  harleybrenton | Mar 12, 2015 |
Realistic Fiction, they are just saying goodnight to each other. This is a very simple read, meant for the lower grade levels. The book is about saying goodnight to some objects in the house and the moon outside.
  Rsantoyo13 | Mar 2, 2015 |

Brown, Margaret Wiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurd, ClementIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In the great green room
There was a telephone
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon

Goodnight Moon is a story about a little rabbit who says "goodnight" to every item in his home. These items include a pair of mittens, a young mouse, a comb, and a bowl full of mush. Illustrations are very simple; many of them are black and white drawings. The book is very short, but perfect for a bedtime story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0694003611, Board book)

Perhaps the perfect children's bedtime book, Goodnight Moon is a short poem of goodnight wishes from a young rabbit preparing for--or attempting to postpone--his own slumber. He says goodnight to every object in sight and within earshot, including the "quiet old lady whispering hush." Clement Hurd's illustrations are simple and effective, alternating between small ink drawings and wide, brightly colored views of the little rabbit's room.

Finding all of the items mentioned throughout the book within the pictures is a good bedtime activity--a reappearing little mouse is particularly pesky. By the end of the little rabbit's goodnight poem, the story has quieted to a whisper, and the drawings have darkened with nightfall. As you turn the last page, you can expect a sleepy smile and at least a yawn or two. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:43 -0400)

Goodnight to each of the objects in the great green room: goodnight chairs, goodnight comb, goodnight air. On board pages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,563,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible