Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Goodnight Moon (original 1947; edition 1991)

by Margaret Wise Brown, Clement Hurd (Illustrator)

7,563None450 (4.24)166
Member:Elise
Title:Goodnight Moon
Authors:Margaret Wise Brown
Other authors:Clement Hurd (Illustrator)
Info:HarperFestival (1991), Board book, 30 pages

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (1947)

animals (71) baby (49) bedtime (546) bedtime story (98) board book (360) bunnies (69) children (227) children's (382) children's book (71) children's books (64) children's fiction (40) children's literature (133) classic (179) classics (51) family (57) fiction (356) goodnight (117) kids (60) moon (251) night (142) nighttime (79) own (41) picture book (560) poetry (79) rabbits (163) read (61) rhyme (97) rhyming (145) sleep (66) Spanish (68)
    Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (KarenB73)
    KarenB73: zookeeper is locking up the zoo. Goes through the zoo saying goodnight to all the animals. same sing-song rhythm of goodnight moon. makes for a quiet get ready for bed book.
    Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: When the little one is tired of same-o, same-o.
    The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (KarenB73)

I enjoyed this book for several reasons. The language is patterned and very clear. There is a repetition of “Goodnight” and certain objects located in the room. The calming language sets a sleepy tone, which perfect for a bedtime story. The book also contains rhymes, such as, “Goodnight kittens and goodnight mittens. Goodnight clocks and goodnight socks.” I believe the writing is paced very well. There are a small number of words per page. These words generally point out different objects in the room. Then the reader says goodnight to each of these objects because it is time for bed. In my opinion, this is a great book for parents to read to their children before bedtime. I also love the detailed illustrations. The use of dim colors sets the mood for nighttime. Each page either contains a complete illustration of the bedroom or one simple object located in the room with a white background. I like that throughout the book the bedroom light is dim and on the last page the light is out and the room is dark because it is time to sleep. There is no central message in this story. The purpose of this book is to read before bedtime so a child can drift off to sleep. This is due to the calming language, dim illustrations, and the repetition of saying goodnight to everything. The last page reads, “Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere.” I love the simplicity of this story. ( )
  jgiann2 | Apr 7, 2014 |
A classic bedtime story. A bunny sweetly says goodnight to all of the room. There is a clear reason why this book continues to be a favorite among parents and children alike. It is soothing and a great length bedtime story that really will make you tired and ready for bed.
  Tvickrey | Mar 15, 2014 |
This is one of the first book I remember from my childhood and one of my favorite bedtime stories. The book is about a rabbit's routine before he goes to bed. Before his bedtime, the rabbit goes around the room and notices items within eye sight and says goodnight to all of them. He says goodnight to everything in the room; the pictures on the wall, the mice to the clock are mentioned, and finally "goodnight noises everywhere." The illustrations add to the story by being vivid, colorful, and detailed. ( )
  cluttrell12 | Mar 1, 2014 |
“Goodnight Moon” is a story about a rabbit saying goodbye to everything before bedtime, including the little mouse, a comb, the moon, etc. It is a very short picture book under the genre of contemporary unrealistic fiction for young children with a basic reading level. I believe this book is a very relatable story for all young children because it does not gender-stereotype. The story never mentions whether the rabbit is male or female. I also liked the story because of the illustrations. The pictures in the story get progressively darker which adds a nice creative element to the book. ( )
  kburdg1 | Mar 1, 2014 |
I couldn't resist adding Goodnight Moon to my reviews. This was a book that my son wanted to hear over and over again until I had it memorized. I love the simplicity of the illustrations as well as the language. This is exactly what a child may to for their nightly routine to help themselves get to sleep....or maybe stall to stay up longer! :) What a fun read. ( )
  JenWinans | Feb 27, 2014 |

Brown, Margaret Wiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurd, ClementIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In the great green room
There was a telephone
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon

Goodnight Moon is a story about a little rabbit who says "goodnight" to every item in his home. These items include a pair of mittens, a young mouse, a comb, and a bowl full of mush. Illustrations are very simple; many of them are black and white drawings. The book is very short, but perfect for a bedtime story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0694003611, Board book)

Perhaps the perfect children's bedtime book, Goodnight Moon is a short poem of goodnight wishes from a young rabbit preparing for--or attempting to postpone--his own slumber. He says goodnight to every object in sight and within earshot, including the "quiet old lady whispering hush." Clement Hurd's illustrations are simple and effective, alternating between small ink drawings and wide, brightly colored views of the little rabbit's room.

Finding all of the items mentioned throughout the book within the pictures is a good bedtime activity--a reappearing little mouse is particularly pesky. By the end of the little rabbit's goodnight poem, the story has quieted to a whisper, and the drawings have darkened with nightfall. As you turn the last page, you can expect a sleepy smile and at least a yawn or two. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:43 -0400)

Goodnight to each of the objects in the great green room: goodnight chairs, goodnight comb, goodnight air.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,449,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible