Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Goodnight Moon (original 1947; edition 1977)

by Margaret Wise Brown, Clement Hurd (Illustrator)

Member:micketymoc
Title:Goodnight Moon
Authors:Margaret Wise Brown
Other authors:Clement Hurd (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1977), Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Miranda's Library
Rating:*****
Tags:children's lit, illustrated

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (1947)

Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (KarenB73)
    KarenB73: zookeeper is locking up the zoo. Goes through the zoo saying goodnight to all the animals. same sing-song rhythm of goodnight moon. makes for a quiet get ready for bed book.
    The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (KarenB73)
    Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: When the little one is tired of same-o, same-o.

English (527)  Spanish (5)  French (1)  All (533)
A cute story with fun rhyming words that kids love. A great story for reading to your child before they go to sleep. The book tells goodnight to everything in the room.
  cwumluna | Jul 20, 2017 |
I can believe that the repetition in this book is soothing and helps children drift off. It is mindless and easy for parents to memorize so that they don't have to pay much attention as they read it. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
Young Reader Reaction: This is frequently requested, although the mild pace and soothing words mean the only reaction is likely to be a thumb comfortably in the mouth.

Adult Reader Reaction: Warm, inviting, comfortable--like an old quilt.At age 5, he'll still stay in the Reading Chair to have this read to his baby sister.

Pros: The undisputed classic children's bedtime story; simple words, soothing and calming for bedtime.

There's more to our review. Visit The Reading Tub®. While you’re there, add a link to your review of the book.
  TheReadingTub | Jul 2, 2017 |
I think I found this book tedious and self-indulgent when I read it with Luisa several years ago now, but maybe I've just seen what feeble effort goes into making magic in kids' books often or maybe the Spanish brings out the surrealness here somehow because I thought it was pretty fun this time. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Jun 3, 2017 |
In this book one theme is searching for the masculine self, because the little boy bunny is trying to find himself. He has a nice powerful voice throughout the story, but is dismissive of the world. I really like this book because it was another book that my parents would read to me right before I went to bed. I think this book is for 1st-3rd graders.
  ShaneKadrmas | May 4, 2017 |

Brown, Margaret Wiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurd, ClementIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In the great green room
There was a telephone
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon

Goodnight Moon is a story about a little rabbit who says "goodnight" to every item in his home. These items include a pair of mittens, a young mouse, a comb, and a bowl full of mush. Illustrations are very simple; many of them are black and white drawings. The book is very short, but perfect for a bedtime story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0694003611, Board book)

Perhaps the perfect children's bedtime book, Goodnight Moon is a short poem of goodnight wishes from a young rabbit preparing for--or attempting to postpone--his own slumber. He says goodnight to every object in sight and within earshot, including the "quiet old lady whispering hush." Clement Hurd's illustrations are simple and effective, alternating between small ink drawings and wide, brightly colored views of the little rabbit's room.

Finding all of the items mentioned throughout the book within the pictures is a good bedtime activity--a reappearing little mouse is particularly pesky. By the end of the little rabbit's goodnight poem, the story has quieted to a whisper, and the drawings have darkened with nightfall. As you turn the last page, you can expect a sleepy smile and at least a yawn or two. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

Goodnight to each of the objects in the great green room: goodnight chairs, goodnight comb, goodnight air. On board pages.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,080,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible