Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Goodnight Moon (original 1947; edition 1991)

by Margaret Wise Brown, Clement Hurd (Illustrator)

Member:mirrordrum
Title:Goodnight Moon
Authors:Margaret Wise Brown
Other authors:Clement Hurd (Illustrator)
Info:HarperFestival (1991), Board book, 30 pages

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (1947)

Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (KarenB73)
    KarenB73: zookeeper is locking up the zoo. Goes through the zoo saying goodnight to all the animals. same sing-song rhythm of goodnight moon. makes for a quiet get ready for bed book.
    The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (KarenB73)
    Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: When the little one is tired of same-o, same-o.

Summary: A young bunny is in bed and describing attributes of his or her room. The young bunny then begins to say goodnight to all of the objects in his or her room until everything has been told goodnight.

Review: This is a wonderful book to read to young children. The book might be helpful for children who have a hard time falling asleep because it is routine and simple. Many young children need routine in their lives and this book may help some children find that sense of "routine" by mimicking what the young rabbit does in the book by saying "goodnight room" and saying goodnight to other objects (p. 9). This book is also simple and calming unlike many books these days. There is no flash or bright colors, just simple words and simple sayings.

Margaret Wise Brown does a wonderful job of hiding her message into her stories, but I believe that the central message of this book is relaxation. In a world full of flashy objects and fast passed ways of lives, Brown brings her readers back to reality with this book by slowing moving through the rabbits room. ( )
  Kweber8 | Sep 6, 2014 |
I really like this book because it is a defining book from my childhood, not because I loved the book, but because my mother and grandmother would read it to me before bed. I think that this book is a classic children's book that everyone should read at least once in their life, preferably when they are young. It goes through a child's bedroom, saying goodnight to all of the objects that they see. This could be useful for children who are still learning what the different objects in their room are.

It is a good picture book because of the lack of words and it brings the readers attention to the illustrations.

Overall, I think that this is a very pretty simple book that young children would enjoy just before they go to bed. They may even starts saying goodnight to all of the objects in their rooms. ( )
  sreinh2 | Sep 4, 2014 |
A classic. Simple text and illustrations say "Good night" to a nursery scene.
  LizinHillsdale | Jul 31, 2014 |
Summary: This book was about a baby bunny that said goodbye to all of the various items in his room. The items that he said goodbye to all rhymed. For example one page says, goodnight kittens and goodnight mittens.

Personal Reactions: I thought that this was a really cute rhyming book. The colors in the book were bright and children would love to look at them. I think it would be a good bedtime story to read to a child.

Classroom Extensions: 1) I would have all of the children draw a picture of the moon. I would tell them to use whatever colors they want to and to also draw a face on it. 2) I would have the children each come up with a little poem with a couple of lines. I would make sure that they understand what poetry and rhyming is. ( )
  SmithAlec | Jul 11, 2014 |
Summary: This book is for very young readers. It is about a rabbit that is saying goodnight to everything he sees. It is quite magical and makes you sleepy just reading it.
Genre: Picture Book
Review: I remember reading this book when I was very little. My mom used to tuck me in and read it to me and it put me to sleep right away. Even reading it again now, I almost fell asleep. It is cute and enchanting. I highly suggest looking up the read-along on YouTube. The narration is beautiful along with the charming music in the background.
  mroque | Jun 8, 2014 |

Brown, Margaret Wiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurd, ClementIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In the great green room
There was a telephone
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon

Goodnight Moon is a story about a little rabbit who says "goodnight" to every item in his home. These items include a pair of mittens, a young mouse, a comb, and a bowl full of mush. Illustrations are very simple; many of them are black and white drawings. The book is very short, but perfect for a bedtime story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0694003611, Board book)

Perhaps the perfect children's bedtime book, Goodnight Moon is a short poem of goodnight wishes from a young rabbit preparing for--or attempting to postpone--his own slumber. He says goodnight to every object in sight and within earshot, including the "quiet old lady whispering hush." Clement Hurd's illustrations are simple and effective, alternating between small ink drawings and wide, brightly colored views of the little rabbit's room.

Finding all of the items mentioned throughout the book within the pictures is a good bedtime activity--a reappearing little mouse is particularly pesky. By the end of the little rabbit's goodnight poem, the story has quieted to a whisper, and the drawings have darkened with nightfall. As you turn the last page, you can expect a sleepy smile and at least a yawn or two. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:43 -0400)

Goodnight to each of the objects in the great green room: goodnight chairs, goodnight comb, goodnight air. On board pages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible