Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Goodnight Moon (original 1947; edition 1991)

by Margaret Wise Brown, Clement Hurd (Illustrator)

Member:mirrordrum
Title:Goodnight Moon
Authors:Margaret Wise Brown
Other authors:Clement Hurd (Illustrator)
Info:HarperFestival (1991), Board book, 30 pages

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (1947)

Recently added byAuntHayHay, savoytruffles, jlelliott, private library, christieCA, swck, KunmingERC
    Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (KarenB73)
    KarenB73: zookeeper is locking up the zoo. Goes through the zoo saying goodnight to all the animals. same sing-song rhythm of goodnight moon. makes for a quiet get ready for bed book.
    The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (KarenB73)
    Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: When the little one is tired of same-o, same-o.

English (462)  Spanish (4)  French (1)  All languages (467)
"Goodnight Moon" is a picturebook that firsts gives a list of what is seen in the bedroom of a little rabbit getting ready for bed. His guardian tells him to be quiet, and he begins to tell everything in the room goodnight. The little bunny even tells the things outside goodnight.

This was such a sweet, calming book to read. As I was reading it to myself I found my eyes lowering. The simplicity of the book is relaxing. The illustrations are simple, yet appealing to the eye.

Classroom extensions include:

1. Make a list, on the board, of all of the things in the room they could say goodnight to.
2. Have the children draw their bedroom and all of the things they see when they are going to sleep.
3. Allow the children to draw and color a few pictures that could be seen on the bunny's walls. ( )
  davishea2004 | Jul 25, 2016 |
This book was a short picture book that is perfect for a young audience. There are few words, but many pictures that allow the little ones to analyze the images with the few presented words so that they can make proper connections between what is going on in the story without being directly told what is taking place.

This book has been one that was read to me as a child, so reading it again as an adult brought back many memories as well as made me realize how simple this book truly is. For little ones, long books containing many words may become dull to them; however, books with few words, but many pictures are interesting to them. This is opposite the average adult who prefers the former.

I recall reading this to my kindergarten students at one point. They loved it. We followed the reading with drawings of our own that would depict how they knew it was bedtime. For the kids who were unaware of the different times in the day, Goodnight Moon had given them visual representations that helped them to learn that often times, when it is dark outside and the stars are shining, it is night time. This was one of the most occurring images drawn.

For teachers, this would be most useful if read to a younger audience. Your typical 4th grader might not find this as interesting or as valuable as a kindergartner would. Allow the students to take in the images so that they may identify with the story. This will allow them to process all the events so that they may develop more abstract thinking.
  faylana.nap | Jul 12, 2016 |
Great book for the little ones! ( )
  AveryBGoodman | Jun 26, 2016 |
One of my sister's favorite bedtime stores, great for little ones learning to read. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
My odd neighbor gushed about this book when I told her I hadn't read it and found it in the other neighbors giveaway pack. It was okay but I don't see what's so incredible about it? Pretty pictures for kids, extremely simple. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

Brown, Margaret Wiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurd, ClementIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In the great green room
There was a telephone
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon

Goodnight Moon is a story about a little rabbit who says "goodnight" to every item in his home. These items include a pair of mittens, a young mouse, a comb, and a bowl full of mush. Illustrations are very simple; many of them are black and white drawings. The book is very short, but perfect for a bedtime story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0694003611, Board book)

Perhaps the perfect children's bedtime book, Goodnight Moon is a short poem of goodnight wishes from a young rabbit preparing for--or attempting to postpone--his own slumber. He says goodnight to every object in sight and within earshot, including the "quiet old lady whispering hush." Clement Hurd's illustrations are simple and effective, alternating between small ink drawings and wide, brightly colored views of the little rabbit's room.

Finding all of the items mentioned throughout the book within the pictures is a good bedtime activity--a reappearing little mouse is particularly pesky. By the end of the little rabbit's goodnight poem, the story has quieted to a whisper, and the drawings have darkened with nightfall. As you turn the last page, you can expect a sleepy smile and at least a yawn or two. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

Goodnight to each of the objects in the great green room: goodnight chairs, goodnight comb, goodnight air. On board pages.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,414,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible