Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Goodnight Moon (original 1947; edition 1991)

by Margaret Wise Brown, Clement Hurd (Illustrator)

Member:mirrordrum
Title:Goodnight Moon
Authors:Margaret Wise Brown
Other authors:Clement Hurd (Illustrator)
Info:HarperFestival (1991), Board book, 30 pages

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (1947)

Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (KarenB73)
    KarenB73: zookeeper is locking up the zoo. Goes through the zoo saying goodnight to all the animals. same sing-song rhythm of goodnight moon. makes for a quiet get ready for bed book.
    The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (KarenB73)
    Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: When the little one is tired of same-o, same-o.

English (428)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (431)
Although I now look at this book with a clearer understanding, I am still not a big fan. ( )
  TashaWhite | Jan 30, 2016 |
My kids loved this book when they were little, and I still enjoy it every so often. Nice artwork andd a good rhyming cadence. The repetitiveness of the pages help children to pick up the words, while the slight changes keep it somewhat interesting. ( )
  cahill101 | Jan 30, 2016 |
This book is about a rabbit's routine before he goes to bed. Before he goes to bed he looks around the room and notices objects and tells them goodnight. He says goodnight to everything from pictures on his wall to a clock. The rabbit gets more tired every time he tells an object goodnight until he tells the noises everywhere goodnight and goes to sleep. This book is a great bedtime story to get kids to go to sleep.
The illustrations are colorful until the individual objects are highlighted then they turn to black and white to represent those objects going to sleep. ( )
  jproc55 | Jan 27, 2016 |
GOOD NIGHT MOON by Margret Wise Brown is a predictable story. It starts out describing the room the rabbit is sleeping in. It describes how there is a picture of a cow jumping over the moon, and a red balloon. The rabbit then proceeds to tell everything it sees goodnight. It is predictable because of it tells the cow jumping over the moon goodnight then it is probaly going to tell the red balloon goodnight. This is a good story to read to children to calm them down and get them thinking about going to sleep. The illustration in this book are simple but a bit wild. Its wild because the room is green. ( )
  SSamson0 | Dec 2, 2015 |
Surprisingly I did not like reading goodnight moon as an adult, however I have very fond memories of reading this book as a child. A story about a little bunny who is in bed says goodnight to everything in the room, and everything around. Until finally the bunny goes to sleep and says, “Goodnight noises everywhere”. As a bed time book I can appreciate the author’s intent is for the reader to begin winding and preparing for bed. However, when I was a child the book has the opposite effect on me, I became excited to say goodnight to every one of my toys and everything in my room. My mother was so tired of this routine she moved all of my toys to the play room and left my room relatively empty to speed up my bed time process. As an adult reading this text I can appreciate the effort of using rhyming to comfort the child as they prepare for bed and how the illustrations are created with lots of detail and vivid colors. In my future class I would likely not utilize this book in any activities, I feel that this should be designated for a bedtime story at home. Even so I guess you could say that liked this book due to some aspects but also disliked other aspects of the text. ( )
  FrancescaOliveira | Dec 2, 2015 |

Brown, Margaret Wiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurd, ClementIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In the great green room
There was a telephone
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon

Goodnight Moon is a story about a little rabbit who says "goodnight" to every item in his home. These items include a pair of mittens, a young mouse, a comb, and a bowl full of mush. Illustrations are very simple; many of them are black and white drawings. The book is very short, but perfect for a bedtime story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0694003611, Board book)

Perhaps the perfect children's bedtime book, Goodnight Moon is a short poem of goodnight wishes from a young rabbit preparing for--or attempting to postpone--his own slumber. He says goodnight to every object in sight and within earshot, including the "quiet old lady whispering hush." Clement Hurd's illustrations are simple and effective, alternating between small ink drawings and wide, brightly colored views of the little rabbit's room.

Finding all of the items mentioned throughout the book within the pictures is a good bedtime activity--a reappearing little mouse is particularly pesky. By the end of the little rabbit's goodnight poem, the story has quieted to a whisper, and the drawings have darkened with nightfall. As you turn the last page, you can expect a sleepy smile and at least a yawn or two. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

Goodnight to each of the objects in the great green room: goodnight chairs, goodnight comb, goodnight air. On board pages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,052,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible