Goodnight Moon (Board Book) by Margaret Wise…

Goodnight Moon (Board Book) (original 1947; edition 1991)

by Margaret Wise Brown

Member:Mz.Balma
Title:Goodnight Moon (Board Book)
Authors:Margaret Wise Brown
Info:HarperFestival (1991), Edition: Board, Board book
Tags:Children's/YA Literature, Comics/Picture Books

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (1947)

Recently added byprivate library, kateprice88, kukmeri, AmyLizMit, deldevries, kelly3885, e-zReader, vickiayala
    Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (KarenB73)
    KarenB73: zookeeper is locking up the zoo. Goes through the zoo saying goodnight to all the animals. same sing-song rhythm of goodnight moon. makes for a quiet get ready for bed book.
    The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (KarenB73)
    Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: When the little one is tired of same-o, same-o.

English (472)  Spanish (4)  French (1)  All languages (477)
A classic. I read the book over and over to my children in the 1980's and 1990's. A treasure to make you feel good!
  deldevries | Sep 23, 2016 |
Goodnight Moon is a beautifully illustrated children’s picture book by Margaret Wise Brown. The book uses rhyme and wordplay that almost simulates a lullaby. The images look classical in nature and invoke a warm hearth like sensation in me. The picture book was first published in 1947 and the pictures and style of art really reflect it. I would imagine this short picture book is age appropriate for two to eight year olds. With the books slow and calm rhymes and warm pictures I imagine that it would aid children falling asleep immensely. There is no real plot or story development within the picture book. The book basically consists of first listing out objects within a room that rhyme with one another. After listing out contents of the room, the phrase “good night” is used before listing out the contents of the room. There is no main character, or character development for that matter. I don't believe there to be a central message or lesson to this book besides trying to convey a sense of peace and warmth to children as they fall asleep. Personally I would rate this picture book 3 ½ stars out of five. Although I enjoyed the warm pictures and word play I would rather there was some basic form of plot or lesson to the story. None the less this is without doubt a classic and is almost guaranteed to be loved by your young one. ( )
  NicholasJohns | Sep 19, 2016 |
Tucked away late at night a little bunny who is about to fall asleep. The bunnies room is large and green. The book takes us through the bunnies night time routine. "Goodnight room, goodnight moon, " The bunny says goodnight to all of the things surrounding him. All of the similar things in his life such as his clocks and his socks his mittens and the kittens. To all of the thing, he is surrounded with that make up his world is told goodnight. The illustrations are lulling, and the words are poetic. These things combine to help lull a child asleep. An extension to this book would be to have a class discussion allowing all the children to identify things that make up their world. Another extension would be to have a child draw a picture of their room as to identify further with the things that make up their world. ( )
  cosmodad16 | Sep 19, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading the book Goodnight Moon. I remember it was one of my favorite books from my childhood. One of the reasons I love this book is because of the use of rhyme. The author rhymes words like "hush and mush" and "kittens and mittens." I like how rhyme gets a reader excited and guessing for what the next word will be. Rhyme tends to add a musical or whimsical feel to the text, making it much easier to read and stay engaged. Another reason I liked this book was because it listed all of the items that the narrator was saying goodnight to. I think saying goodnight to clocks and socks showed that narrator is young and naive. The overall message from this book is that by saying goodnight to everything in their room, children feel more at ease and can go to sleep.
  AlexaLevine | Sep 19, 2016 |
summary
as a little guy is going to sleep, he begins to study everything that is in his room. He then begins to tell everything in his room goodnight as he slowly drifts off to sleep.

Personal
This book is perfect for a bedtime story. There's not much to it and can be a book you read all the time. Perfect for little kid's when they have trouble falling asleep.

Classroom extensions
1. You could use it in younger grades before nap time to help settle them down.
2. When the book in naming off things in the room, have kids point to where it is on the page.
  JacquelineSimmons | Sep 18, 2016 |

Brown, Margaret Wiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurd, ClementIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In the great green room
There was a telephone
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon

Goodnight Moon is a story about a little rabbit who says "goodnight" to every item in his home. These items include a pair of mittens, a young mouse, a comb, and a bowl full of mush. Illustrations are very simple; many of them are black and white drawings. The book is very short, but perfect for a bedtime story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0694003611, Board book)

Perhaps the perfect children's bedtime book, Goodnight Moon is a short poem of goodnight wishes from a young rabbit preparing for--or attempting to postpone--his own slumber. He says goodnight to every object in sight and within earshot, including the "quiet old lady whispering hush." Clement Hurd's illustrations are simple and effective, alternating between small ink drawings and wide, brightly colored views of the little rabbit's room.

Finding all of the items mentioned throughout the book within the pictures is a good bedtime activity--a reappearing little mouse is particularly pesky. By the end of the little rabbit's goodnight poem, the story has quieted to a whisper, and the drawings have darkened with nightfall. As you turn the last page, you can expect a sleepy smile and at least a yawn or two. (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

Goodnight to each of the objects in the great green room: goodnight chairs, goodnight comb, goodnight air. On board pages.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,131,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible