Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino

Is Your Mama a Llama? (edition 2004)

by Deborah Guarino, Steve Kellogg (Illustrator)

Member:smdorr
Title:Is Your Mama a Llama?
Authors:Deborah Guarino
Other authors:Steve Kellogg (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2004), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:easy, animals, rhyming, gr. k-3

Is Your Mama a Llama? (board book) by Deborah Guarino

A llama goes around asking all of the other young animals if their mama is a llama. It has a lot of rhyming and introduces a lot of different animals. It is a great learning book for young children.
  acbanis | Aug 15, 2014 |
I loved this book as a kid, i think it is a timeless little tale of understanding what makes different animals unique and a cute little tale.
  abigail.shafer | Aug 14, 2014 |
A young llama goes out and asks many baby animals if their mama is a llama. They answer him with lovely rhymes that give clues to what kind of animal their mama is.
  BrandiMichelle | Jun 7, 2014 |
In my opinion, this was a good book. I liked the language used in this book. It was patterned, and would be a great book for beginner readers. For example, “Is your mama a llama?” I asked my friend Dave. “No she is not,” is the answer Dave gave. “Is your mama a llama?” I asked my friend Fred. “No, she is not,” is what Freddy said. This example also shows how the book rhymes. This pattern and rhyme scheme is used throughout the entire book. I also like how the book allows for children to make predictions based off of the pictures given in the story. For example, “She's got flippers and whiskers and eats fish all day... I do not think llamas act quite in that way.” “Oh,” I said. “You don’t need to go on. I think that your mama must be a… The rest of the sentence is on the next page and allows for students to guess what they think the animal’s mother is. The central message of this book is that everyone is different, and even if you come from different backgrounds, you can still be friends. ( )
  kjacks26 | Apr 26, 2014 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. For one, I liked the writing of the book because it was written for students to guess the next animal. In the story, it had a page describing an animal, and then when you flip the page it had that animals name written. For example, one of the pages read, “she’s got flippers and whiskers and eats fish all day.” On the next page, the word, “seal” was written to explain that those traits represent a seal. Also, I liked that the writing was written in a pattern. For example, after a clue was given about which animal was being described, the llama character would say, “I’m beginning to feel that your mama must really be…” I like this pattern because it sets up students to guess which animal was described. Finally, I liked the illustrations of this book because I think it helped to support the text. Each page had animals drawn on it to allow the students to guess which animal was being described. The big message of Is Your Mama a Lama is that everyone comes from different backgrounds and we are all unique. In the story, all the animals are described with their unique traits in a positive manner. ( )
  Kgranit | Apr 24, 2014 |

Guarino, Deborahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellogg, StevenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Another classroom favorite. This is a great book for talking about animals in general, about adult/baby animal terms, and practicing questions. It's got some good predictive illustration to go along with the riddle-like text, but it would depend a lot on the visual sophistication of the reader.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590447254, Paperback)

The board book version of this popular recitation of animal characteristics is equally as delightful as other editions, with one key improvement: it's inedible. This robust reissue follows lovable Lloyd the llama on his quest to find out what percentage of the baby animal population has llamas for mamas. The rhymes are original and infectious, and the riddles are sure to have children shouting out the answers in anticipation of turning the page.

Youngsters often exhibit an insatiable appetite for adorable baby animals, and Is Your Mama a Llama provides plenty of fodder for fawning. Illustrator Steven Kellogg, however, manages to keep the pictures sweet without being saccharine. And rest assured, no matter how often your little one is compelled to kiss the critters, the sturdy board-book format will stand the test of time (and of course, slobber). (Ages 0 to 4)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:12 -0400)

A young llama asks his friends if their mamas are llamas and finds out, in rhyme, that their mothers are other types of animals.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,332,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible