Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino

Is Your Mama a Llama? (edition 2004)

by Deborah Guarino, Steve Kellogg (Illustrator)

Member:smdorr
Title:Is Your Mama a Llama?
Authors:Deborah Guarino
Other authors:Steve Kellogg (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2004), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:easy, animals, rhyming, gr. k-3

Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino

English (110)  Spanish (1)  All (111)
This book was actually a very interesting read. I am surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did to be honest. I very much enjoyed a few different aspects of this book like the illustrations, rhyming/rhythmic language, and the call and response language involved. The illustrations, for starters, were incredibly detailed for such a short book. They were hyper realistic, especially when involving all of the different types of animals. I especially enjoyed the texture of the llamas and ripples of the water on almost every page. It made the reader feel as though they were in the story.
I also enjoyed the rhyming language that was used. The rhythm that it gave the story made the book more engaging for me versus just writing in an unorganized language pattern. My favorite lines of the book were, “’She hangs by her feet and she lives in a cave. I do not believe that’s how llamas behave. ‘Oh,’ I said. ‘You are right about that. I think that your mama sounds more like a…Bat!’” (p. 3-5). The sentences and dialogue were spread out wide enough over the length of the story that it gave a good meter when reading aloud. The last thing that really struck me about this book was the call and response nature of the book. For each animal that the llama talked to, like the bat, the description of the animal’s mama was given and then rhythmic language was used to lead the reader into saying the name of the animal mama. “That is certainly true. I think that your mama’s a…Kangaroo!” (p.20-21)
The main message of this book was about diversity. Although all of the characters were animal and friends of the llama, they were al different. There were bats, swans, kangaroos and much more that made up the animal kingdom of this book. It is relevant to our lives because there are so many diverse groups, but at the end of the day, we are all still human beings! ( )
  CourtneyClutts | Mar 31, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 20, 2017 |
a little llama goes around and asks different animals if their mamas are llamas but little llama finally finds her mama llama
1 book
  TUCC | Jan 25, 2017 |
This is a cute story that I would love to read to my class. There are a bunch of fun riddles intertwined into it that make reading fun. This is a book that is geared more towards the lower elementary grades. ( )
  Madima6781 | Nov 29, 2016 |
This cute story about a llama looking for its mama, is such a precious book. I loved this book and thought the storyline was perfect. I loved how it incorporated riddles and was a wonderful guessing game picture book. It is such an amusing book and will be loved by students in the lower grades.
  MacyMoonshower | Sep 25, 2016 |

Guarino, Deborahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellogg, StevenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Another classroom favorite. This is a great book for talking about animals in general, about adult/baby animal terms, and practicing questions. It's got some good predictive illustration to go along with the riddle-like text, but it would depend a lot on the visual sophistication of the reader.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590447254, Paperback)

The board book version of this popular recitation of animal characteristics is equally as delightful as other editions, with one key improvement: it's inedible. This robust reissue follows lovable Lloyd the llama on his quest to find out what percentage of the baby animal population has llamas for mamas. The rhymes are original and infectious, and the riddles are sure to have children shouting out the answers in anticipation of turning the page.

Youngsters often exhibit an insatiable appetite for adorable baby animals, and Is Your Mama a Llama provides plenty of fodder for fawning. Illustrator Steven Kellogg, however, manages to keep the pictures sweet without being saccharine. And rest assured, no matter how often your little one is compelled to kiss the critters, the sturdy board-book format will stand the test of time (and of course, slobber). (Ages 0 to 4)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:45 -0400)

A young llama asks his friends if their mamas are llamas and finds out, in rhyme, that their mothers are other types of animals.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,907,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible