Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino

Is Your Mama a Llama? (edition 2004)

by Deborah Guarino, Steve Kellogg (Illustrator)

Title:Is Your Mama a Llama?
Authors:Deborah Guarino
Other authors:Steve Kellogg (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2004), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:easy, animals, rhyming, gr. k-3

Is Your Mama a Llama? (board book) by Deborah Guarino

Recently added bymcarrollfr, private library, MWFBAZ, Rosa.Mill, AR_bookbird

Good to use for repetition and teaching about asking questions
  Stacey_Nava | Nov 8, 2015 |
This book is very fun to read. It gives the child a chance to identify the different animals in the book. The little llama is trying to find his mother and asking every animal he came across. ( )
  Angelatw | Oct 20, 2015 |
38 months - I'm still not a huge fan of Steven Kellogg's illustrations but the rhyming story is cute especially for the under two crowd. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a fun book. I found it to be an easy, enjoyable read. For example, I found myself to be thoroughly impressed with the language—the author managed to use a multitude of synonyms for the word “said,” which I thought would be a great learning experience for a young reader. Additionally, I liked the rhythmic lilt to the authors writing. It flowed well and made me eager to turn the page and see where the author would take it next. I also liked the illustrations. I thought they certainly enhanced the story. As the animal in question described their physical attributes, I was able to look at the illustrations and accurately pick them out, which could be helpful for young readers. The message of the book was to be observant and to continuously ask questions. In this book, the llama narrator asked each animal, “Is your mama a llama,” and allowed them to describe their species, before finally coming to the conclusion that his mama was indeed a llama. ( )
  mkatz9 | Oct 3, 2015 |
Is Your Mama a Llama is a charming book for young children. It centers around a young llama who goes around asking other animals if their mother is a llama, to which he receives answers describing their mother. The descriptions of different animals is useful for young children, but the best part of the book is the rhyme. Lines like, “Is your mama a llama I asked my friend Dave? No she is not is the answer Dave gave.” The rhyming is rhythmic and makes reading the book fun for children to listen to and read themselves. Another great aspect of this picture book is the illustrations. They are colorful, large, and realistic. Kids can definitely learn a lot about animals reading this book. At the end, the llama finds his mother and she is a loving character. The sweet story may not have a big important lesson, but a young llama learning about mothers makes for a sweet bedtime story. ( )
  cmarti50 | Oct 2, 2015 |

Guarino, Deborahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellogg, StevenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Another classroom favorite. This is a great book for talking about animals in general, about adult/baby animal terms, and practicing questions. It's got some good predictive illustration to go along with the riddle-like text, but it would depend a lot on the visual sophistication of the reader.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590447254, Paperback)

The board book version of this popular recitation of animal characteristics is equally as delightful as other editions, with one key improvement: it's inedible. This robust reissue follows lovable Lloyd the llama on his quest to find out what percentage of the baby animal population has llamas for mamas. The rhymes are original and infectious, and the riddles are sure to have children shouting out the answers in anticipation of turning the page.

Youngsters often exhibit an insatiable appetite for adorable baby animals, and Is Your Mama a Llama provides plenty of fodder for fawning. Illustrator Steven Kellogg, however, manages to keep the pictures sweet without being saccharine. And rest assured, no matter how often your little one is compelled to kiss the critters, the sturdy board-book format will stand the test of time (and of course, slobber). (Ages 0 to 4)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:45 -0400)

A young llama asks his friends if their mamas are llamas and finds out, in rhyme, that their mothers are other types of animals.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,945,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible