Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of…

Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls (1994)

by Mary Pipher

Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs by Rosalind Barnett (mollishka)
    mollishka: While this book is largely dedicated to destroying the myth that women and men are fundamentally different, it has near the end an entire chapter devoted to tearing apart Reviving Ophelia and girls' so-called "self-esteem dive." Any parent (with either boys or girls) should read this book.… (more)
    Ophelia Speaks: Adolescent Girls Write About Their Search for Self by Sara Shandler (twomoredays)
    twomoredays: If you're going to subject yourself to Pipher's damning work, you owe it to yourself to read this book. It's essays written by adolescent girls in response to Pipher's work.

Approximately 1/3 of the way into this book, I nearly quit. It was highly repetitive; I felt like a lengthy magazine article could have covered the same material. As I got further into the problem-specific chapters, though, I began thinking more and more about my own experiences. I was 13 when this book was first published. I am very much a product of the culture Pipher was addressing. Her insights on family relationships in particular got me thinking. I found some of her cultural observations less interesting, more melodramatic. Overall, though, Pipher wrote an interesting book dotted with useful bits of advice without sounding like a self-help book or being overly preachy. I particularly appreciated her objective stance on adolescent drug and alcohol use--that not all of it is problematic or to be pathologized. ( )
  The_Kat_Cache | Aug 5, 2014 |
Dr. Pipher shares her experiences of treating teenage girls in her psychology practice and gives practical advice to parents and other adults about what teenage girls are going through, how they think and how to help them through adolescence. As a teacher - I taught middle school for 13 years and now substitute in middle and high schools - and as a parent of two daughters - one who is 19 and one who is 10, I found the book to be very practical and helpful. ( )
  herdingcats | Jul 5, 2012 |
Mary Pipher's book was written in the 90s and was a wake-up call to parents of adolescent girls. While it is important in documenting how rough the world has become for adolescent girls, it doesn't really offer much practical advice for parents of today. If you are reading this book for tips on how to get your daughter through those awful times, then I would skip all the case studies (taken together they are quite frightening for a parent) and just read the last chapter where the author gives a general overview of what type of parenting seems to have given the most benefit to daughters. It's not much, but it is a starting point. ( )
  Marse | Mar 21, 2012 |
Here, for the first time, are girls' unmuted voices from the front lines of adolscence, personal and painfully honest. By laying bare their harsh day-to-day reality, Reviving Ophelia issues a call to arms and offers parents compassion, and strategies with which to revive these Ophelias' lost sense of self.
  DioceseofOttawa | Oct 13, 2011 |
I wish that someone had given this book to me to read when I was a teenager, or given it to my parents. I would recommend it to any woman to read, no matter what their age.
It is sad though that over twenty years have passed since this was written, & yet the media and its negative effects it has on young women---to society in general, is worse than ever. What would the author have to say about this today? ( )
  TheCelticSelkie | May 24, 2010 |
This book was good, up until the chapter on "Sex and Violence" which turned out to be a bunch of rape stories that made me stop reading the book afterwards.
added by leedavies777 | editNew York Times

To the memory of Frank and Avis Bray
When my cousin Polly was a girl, she was energy in motion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345392825, Paperback)

At adolescence, says Mary Pipher, "girls become 'female impersonators' who fit their whole selves into small, crowded spaces." Many lose spark, interest, and even IQ points as a "girl-poisoning" society forces a choice between being shunned for staying true to oneself and struggling to stay within a narrow definition of female. Pipher's alarming tales of a generation swamped by pain may be partly informed by her role as a therapist who sees troubled children and teens, but her sketch of a tougher, more menacing world for girls often hits the mark. She offers some prescriptions for changing society and helping girls resist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:53 -0400)

Describes the psychological pitfalls faced by teenage girls growing up in a dangerous world in which violence, sexual harassment, eating disorders, promiscuity, and drug use have become the norm.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible