Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political…

Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known (edition 2005)

by Molly Ivins

Member:mizmax
Title:Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known
Authors:Molly Ivins
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2005), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Politics

Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known by Molly Ivins

What was true in 1992 is true today, only some of the names have changed but the game hasn't This "best of" collection from Molly Ivins covers Texas and US politics from ~1992 through 2002ish. One of the things I enjoy about Ivins, aside from her humor, is that was fearless. She called it like it was and took no prisoner. Some of these columns are as timely today as when they were first written. It's unfortunate she died before the Tea Party decided to try to "fix" the government, what a field day she would have had with them. ( )
  AuntieClio | Nov 21, 2013 |
Molly, girl, you are missed. ( )
  LeahsChoice | May 23, 2009 |
If Noam Chomsky and the Sweet Potato Queens had a baby, it would be Molly Ivins. I wish I had gotten into her sooner, before she died, but her work is still hilarious, poignant, and a call to action. Even while cracking up listening to her scathing commentary on the political past, I was stirred by her impassioned plea for action in the political sphere. Rather than falling back on apathy and disengagement (which had plagued my generation and the one before it), she lights a fire under your ass. Don't like the way things are? Then stop fixin' to do something (as we Texans are wont to say)-get up and do it. Don't just bitch. (And yes, her language is that bad and worse.) She also made me want to learn much more about political history, mainly to answer my neo-con father-in-laws lauding of Reagan and Shrub and constant raving against the Clintons. ( )
  kaelirenee | Oct 16, 2007 |
A collection of Molly Ivins' incisive political columns over the years, focusing on "incredible political animals I have known". The majority of the columns deal with Reagan/Bush, the Clintons and G.W. Bush ("Shrub"), there is a chapter on Texas politicos, and a miscellaneous chapter of heroes and heels. Ivins is tough, funny and progressive, and while there are conservative politicians she respects, she does not suffer bullies gladly. If only more people had read her columns about Shrub before the 2000 election. Ivins died of cancer recently, and I miss her a lot. ( )
1 vote burnit99 | Aug 15, 2007 |
Many citizens of progressive political persuasion are finding that, soulwise, these are trying times.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812973070, Paperback)

Veteran columnist Molly Ivins, a rare and highly irreverent Texas liberal, is back with a collection of columns gathered from a rich and varied career covering some of the best source material a writer with a knack for whimsy could wish for: politicians. In Who Let the Dogs In, Ivins offers her thoughts on politicos from the Reagan era through the administration of George W. Bush (whom she first nicknamed "Shrub" way back in his early Texas days). While Ivins is of the lefty persuasion, she is far from doctrinaire, which helps separate her from the scores of lockstep pundits on either side: she credits Bill Clinton with being a brilliant politician and condemns the policies of Bush as being terrible for average Americans, but also presents stinging criticisms of Clinton's failed initiatives and defends Bush as being smarter than most give him credit for. Her words are strong, her writing is clear, and her thoughts are well organized. Of course, most people remember a Molly Ivins column for the humor, and we get to witness her firing missiles at low-flying targets like Newt Gingrich and Ross Perot and describing Bush's puzzling lead over Al Gore among men in the 2000 campaign, "One guy played football, went to Vietnam, and is notoriously emotionally distant. The other guy was a cheerleader who got into a National Guard unit through family influence, lost money in the oil business, traded Sammy Sosa and is now sliding through a presidential race on charm. Do I not get American men, or what?" Who Let the Dogs In lacks some of the focus of her Shrub and Bushwhacked simply because it's about a whole generation of political characters as opposed to one memorable Texan, but such broader perspective also affords an opportunity to better understand America's recent history and maybe get a few laughs while doing it. --John Moe

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:35 -0400)

Offers a humorous look at people in the political spotlight from Ronald Reagan to George Bush.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,532,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible