The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search…

The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the… (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Eric Weiner

Member:Sovranty
Title:The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World
Authors:Eric Weiner
Info:Twelve (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Book Club, Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2

The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner (2008)

This is a great travel and self-help book. I don't know if its classified as a self-help book but it definitely helped me to be happier :). It is an inspiring, funny, quirky and happy read. I don't believe that Eric Weiner is a grump, he's actually very funny. However, some essays are a bit boring (Great Britain!) and some essays seem hurried (Great Britain!). I would also love pictures. Pictures make happy! :) ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 5, 2014 |
Journalist Eric Weiner travels to the "happiest" countries in the world, trying to figure out why these populations are happy life. Weiner's own journey of happiness (or lack of) didn't particularly interest me, but learning about other countries (Burma, Qatar, Denmark, Moldova) did. ( )
  Alyssa.Jocson | Aug 21, 2013 |
This is a great book if you want to learn more about happiness in other cultures. Funny and engaging, Weiner travels the world in search of what makes people in some countries happier than others. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
I liked the travel vignettes. The author's "happiness insights" seldom inspired me. Suggest you get the printed version rather than the audio. ( )
  patriciamoss | May 28, 2013 |
This book is Eat, Pray, Love for the less...I can't think of a word that doesn't sound offensive. I really enjoyed reading about Weiner's travels and I appreciated the lack of finding-yourself anguish. If you want a lighter read than Eat, Pray, Love, I think this could work for you! ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 10, 2013 |
for Sharon
My bags were packed and my provisions loaded.
In these days of wars and rumors of wars, haven't you ever dreamed of a place where there was peace and security, where living was not a struggle but a lasting delight? - Lost Horizon, directed by Frank Capra, 1937

Part foreign affairs discourse, part humor, and part twisted self-help guide, The Geography of Bliss takes the reader from America to Iceland to India in search of happiness, or, in the crabby author's case, moments of "un-unhappiness." The book uses a beguiling mixture of travel, psychology, science and humor to investigate not what happiness is, but where it is. Are people in Switzerland happier because it is the most democratic country in the world? Do citizens of Qatar, awash in petrodollars, find joy in all that cash? Is the King of Bhutan a visionary for his initiative to calculate Gross National Happiness? Why is Asheville, North Carolina so damn happy? With engaging wit and surprising insights, Eric Weiner answers those questions and many others, offering travelers of all moods some interesting new ideas for sunnier destinations and dispositions.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:41 -0400)

Part foreign affairs discourse, part humor, and part twisted self-help guide, this book takes the reader from America to Iceland to India in search of happiness, or, in the crabby author's case, moments of "un-unhappiness." The book uses a mixture of travel, psychology, science and humor to investigate not what happiness is, but where it is. Are people in Switzerland happier because it is the most democratic country in the world? Do citizens of Singapore benefit psychologically by having their options limited by the government? Is the King of Bhutan a visionary for his initiative to calculate Gross National Happiness? Why is Asheville, North Carolina, so darn happy? NPR correspondent Weiner answers those questions and many others, offering travelers of all moods some interesting new ideas for sunnier destinations and dispositions.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,014,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible