dismiss

The 158-Pound Marriage by John Irving

The 158-Pound Marriage (original 1974; edition 1990)

by John Irving

The darker vision and sexual ambiguities of this erotic, ironic tale about a menage a quatre in a New England university town foreshadow those of The World According to Garp; but this very trim and precise novel is a marked departure from the author's generally robust, boisterous style. Though Mr. Irving's cool eye spares none of his foursome, he writes with genuine compassion for the sexual tests and illusions they perpetrate on each other; but the sexual intrigue between them demonstrates how even the kind can be ungenerous, and even the well-intentioned, destructive.… (more)
Member:AmCorKragujevac
Title:The 158-Pound Marriage
Authors:John Irving
Info:Ballantine Books (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:R19

The 158-Pound Marriage by John Irving (1974)

Recently added bycfickett, private library, Patricia_Bart, MichaelSmart, GerdaSvW, MASP, tkenney426, vernaye, newmusic12

English (15)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  All languages (17)
Zwei Paare beschließen, es einmal mit Partnertausch zu versuchen. Ein mittelgewichtiger Versuch, mit dem schwergewichtigen Problem der Ehe fertigzuwerden und wieder gefährlich zu leben. Anfangs scheint auch alles zu klappen, doch dann entpuppt sich einer der Vier als Spielverderber, die Vierecksgeschichte entwickelt sich zunehmend zu einem Kampf hinter verschlossenen Türen, mit schmerzlichen Folgen ...
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
This book was very subtle, which was nice at one point, but I think the subtlety was also it's downfall. I found myself not being too involved with the characters, not being able to imagine them all too well in my head. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
When I read this book, John Irving wasn't as famous as he latterly is, but I still marked him as a writer to watch. This is a slim novel about a wife-swapping experience, which as usual, doesn't work out well for half the persons involved. It's quite chilling to those who are insecure in their relationships, or at any rate, that's what I think! ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jan 5, 2016 |
Sometimes, I have a hard time getting into John Irvings books. By far and away, this is my favorite. I find the characters likable even when they are unlikable and very real. In someways (maybe it's the wrestling) it reminds me of what Garp may have been like if he'd had a normal life. ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |

John Irvingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Broek, C.A.G. van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paolini, Pier FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor JMF
My wife, Utchka (Whose name I sometime ago shortened to Utch), could teach patience to a time bomb.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,651,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible