The Night Tourist by Katherine Marsh

The Night Tourist (2007)

by Katherine Marsh

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (cf66)
    cf66: Entrambi revisioni di miti classici, ma quello di Marsh un po' meno "hollywoodiano".

Well written but a bit boring. It had high points, but I had to force my way through a great deal of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkM5aurcEY4 ( )
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
2015 Rating System: 3
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
Many books abound about the so-called society of people living below the streets of New York. This one was not one of my favorites. In fact, I found that I had to drag myself through it at times. The idea of a group of dead people caught in limbo preceding the afterlife, and therefore living in the subways of New York was too far-fetched for me. When the plot adds the additional notion that sometimes the dead can return to the surface as a living person, my readability meter really edged into the red zone. A book with a similar idea that I found to be much better written was The Downsiders by Neal Shusterman. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
This is an interesting fantasy book that would be good for middle school readers who enjoy mystery and ghost stories. I like the book because it has a surprising, supernatural twist. Almost each chapter leaves you with some sort of suspense, making you want to turn the page. I like the author’s use of stylish language and humor. This helped to lighten up some of the more serious topics in the book such as death and the broken father-son relationship. What I didn’t like about the book is the main character’s ghostly friend dies from committing suicide. Depending on the mentality and age of the reader, this topic may not be an appropriate for some young readers. ( )
  rachelmuegge | Jul 23, 2014 |
The Night Tourist is a charming paranormal tale of necessary losses, full of mythological allusions that are sure to delight fans of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series. ( )
  KayMackey | Jan 7, 2014 |
To Julian and my parents
It was just after dusk when the accident happened.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142310689X, Hardcover)

Jack Perdu, a shy, ninth grade classics prodigy lives with father on the Yale Univerity campus. Smart and introverted, Jack spends most of his time alone, his nose buried in a book. But when Jack suffers a near fatal accident, his life is forever changed.

His father sends him to a mysterious doctor in New York City—a place Jack hasn't been since his mother died there eight years ago. While in the city, Jack meets Euri, a young girl who offers to show him the secrets of Grand Central Station. Here, Jack discovers New York's Underworld, a place where those who died in New York reside until they are ready to move on. This, Jack belives, is a chance to see his mother again. But as secrets about Euri's past are revealed, so are the true reasons for Jack’s visit to the Underworld.

Masterfully told, The Night Tourist weaves together New York City's secret history and its modern-day landscape to create a highly vivid ghost world, full of magical adventure and page-turning action.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:28 -0400)

After fourteen-year-old classics prodigy Jack Perdu has a near fatal accident he meets Euri, a young ghost who introduces him to New York's Underworld, where those who died in New York reside until they are ready to move on, and Jack vows to find his dead mother there.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible