At the Mouth of the River of Bees: Stories…

At the Mouth of the River of Bees: Stories

by Kij Johnson

English (30)  Finnish (1)  All languages (31)
I liked a couple of the stories a lot (the title story At the Mouth of the River of Bees, and 26 Monkeys), but mostly this collection wasn't really for me. I can see why there is so much praise for it, but for me these stories didn't really mean anything true, intellectually or emotionally. I skimmed a lot. Also I wasn't a fan of the seeming fetishy obsession with East Asian stories/myths/legends, co-opted into lackluster, shallow short stories.
As another reviewer said, there's just a disconnect between this collection and my tastes. ( )
  basilisky | Jun 3, 2018 |
At the Mouth of the River of Bees is an interesting and varied pack of stories. Although many of the stories in this collection could easily be labeled as Fantasy, many others escape such simple labeling. Spanning the genres, each stories is unique; while some are more strait-laced fantasy, fairy tales replete with talking animals and beasts of all sizes, others are more contemporary and literary in nature. This wide variety gives the reader many chances to fall for Johnson's stories, but may make this collection seem uneven. Some are extremely brief while others could probably be considered novellas. Some are powerfully shocking, others are simplistically quiet. The fact is, this is quite a mix to come from one author. You may read two or three stories before you find one you like. You may love all of them. Likely, there's something in this collection for most of us.

My personal favorites were “Spar,” “Wolf Trapping,” and “At the Mouth of the River of Bees.” “Ponies” was also a good story, but I'd heard so much about it over the years that I expected something more chilling; in fact, it felt to me like a tamer version of a Shirley Jackson story. For me, “Spar” was the truly haunting story that remains with me like no other one in this collection. ( )
  chrisblocker | Jan 11, 2017 |
This is a great collection of stories. High imaginative; many stories take place in "the real world, plus..." which is a setting and style I always enjoy. The author has a consistent voice/style across most of the included stories without ever getting repetitive, rote, etc.

I really, really enjoyed these. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Oct 17, 2016 |
I loved the story 'Ponies'! I'm so anxious to read this collection!
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

These stories feature cats, bees, wolves, dogs-- and even that most capricious of animals, humans.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kij Johnson's book At the Mouth of the River of Bees was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,506,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible