The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman

The Whipping Boy (1986)

by Sid Fleischman

Sometimes these Newberry winners baffle me. This was not a bad book. But it's written for 2nd or 3rd graders, which I thought was a bit below the age range for Newberry consideration. The story is very simple, as are the characters. They have no depth. It would have been better suited to a longer picture book than a novel format.

That said, the story is of a dreadful prince, who, being the prince, cannot be spanked. So when he is naughty, they bring in the "whipping boy", who is a servant child who is punished in the prince's place. The prince decides to run away, and take the whipping boy with him. In the scant 90 pages, they run into murderous brigands, a girl with a dancing bear, soldiers, a kindly potato seller, and a sewer full of rats. The prince returns to the castle afterwards a changed boy and everyone (except the brigands) live happily ever after. ( )
  fingerpost | Sep 26, 2016 |
This book was great. I think I would read this book in a second great class as introduction to chapter books. I would read one to three chapters a day. The children could do activities about life and the lessons the boys learn, Fairness and etc. ( )
  skeltonmorgan | Sep 16, 2016 |
The story of two young boys from very different lives. jimmy is the "Prince Brat's" whipping boy because it against the law to punish the heir to the thrown. Jemmy gets talked into running away with the prince where they have a big adventure of getting captured, overcoming brattiness, and an unlikely friendship.
I would have the children in my class create the king's crown. this would be a fun building experience while promoting creativity.
this would also be a good book for an inference lesson. Jemmy and the prince go on many adventures and find themselves in some sticky situations. This could be great for having the children take what they already know while reading the book and giving their opinion on what will happen next while reading the text. ( )
  sb938957 | Jul 19, 2016 |
The story is about a ungreatful prince that has been named "Prince Brat" and because he is the prince he can never be punished for his misbehavior, so a homeless boy has been taken as a "Whipping Boy" for everytime the prince is bad the whipping boy takes the brunt of his punishment. The Prince however longs for his fathers attention so he decides to run away and take the whipping boy with him. They boys however don't get far before they are captured by two highway men and seem to be doomed. The whipping boy is a lot smarter than what everyone realizes so soon the boys escape, along the way they run into and make friends with a young girl and her bear and a potatoe man, working together everyone earns a little money at the far and a little food. While looking for the food the Prince overhears how people actually feel about him and he decides very quickly to help his new friends and give the Whipping Boy his freedom. Once the boys are home and the situation is explained to the King, the boys became the best of friends and the whipping boy stayed in the castle to live our his youth.

I can relate to the book because more than once in my life I have taken the blame for someone elses misbehavior and taken the punishment for it. It is never a good feeling and you get a bad reputation for something that you have not done.

I could relate this to my kids by giving them each some candy and then when one wan't looking take their candy. When I am asked I would simply say that I did not take it but maybe someone (insert name) did. Then let them be questioned about it or blamed, then talk about how it made them feel, talk about what everyone thinks about it, then of course let everyone know that I took it and that person is really a great person.

**(best to use abother teacher or an assistant).
  morgan_817 | Apr 20, 2016 |
A tale about friendship, privilege and reaching understanding told like an old folk tale replete with smelly villains, chase scenes, and royalty. The whipping of children may turn off some readers, and the small note on the end does little to explain this ancient practice of whipping boys. ( )
  GReader28 | Feb 21, 2016 |

Fleischman, Sidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sís, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The young prince was known here and there (and just about everywhere else) as Prince Brat.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060521228, Paperback)

For kids to get their dose of action and thrills, they need not always go to the local multiplex for the latest bang 'em up film. They could try such books as The Whipping Boy, which relies not on exploding spaceships and demonic robots but mythic story, humorous characters and, ready or not, a moral. The plot involves the orphan Jemmy, who must take the whippings for the royal heir, Prince Brat. Jemmy plans to flee this arrangement until Prince Brat beats him to it, and takes Jemmy along. Jemmy then hears he's charged with the Prince's abduction as this Newbery Medal winning book turns toward a surprising close.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:43 -0400)

A bratty prince and his whipping boy have many adventures when they inadvertently trade places after becoming involved with dangerous outlaws. Forced to serve as whipping boy to the arrogant and spiteful Prince Brat, Jemmy plans to run away, but on the night of his escape, he and the Prince have a climactic confrontation. Prince Brat decides to run away from home, taking his much abused whipping boy, Jemmy, with him, but their roles are reversed when the boys are captured by the villains Cut-Water and Hold-Your-Nose-Billy. John Newbery Award, 1987. This highly original tale, a sort of takeoff on the Prince and the Pauper, shows what happens when an obnoxious prince switches places with the boy who is punished for the prince's every misdeed, the whipping boy. A bratty prince and his whipping boy have many adventures when they inadvertently trade places after becoming involved with dangerous outlaws. A shout comes echoing up the stairway, fetch the whipping boy. A young orphan named Jemmy rouses from his sleep. Ain't I already been whipped twice today? What's the prince done now? It was forbidden to spank, thrash, or whack the heir to the throne. Jemmy had been plucked from the streets to serve as whipping boy to the arrogant and spiteful Prince Brat. Dreaming of running away, Jemmy finds himself trapped in Prince Brat's own dream, at once brash and perilous. In this briskly told tale of high adventure, taut with suspense and rich with colorful characters, the whipping boy and Prince Brat must at last confront each other. Award winning author Sid Fleischman again blends the broadly comic with the deeply compassionate in this memorable novel; splendid entertainment and a Newbery Medal winning book in 1987. Fleischman's earlier works, such as the 1966 Chancy and the Grand Rascal and By the Great Horn Spoon, are also sure treats, and happily still in print.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,251,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible