The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman

The Whipping Boy (1986)

by Sid Fleischman

The story is about a ungreatful prince that has been named "Prince Brat" and because he is the prince he can never be punished for his misbehavior, so a homeless boy has been taken as a "Whipping Boy" for everytime the prince is bad the whipping boy takes the brunt of his punishment. The Prince however longs for his fathers attention so he decides to run away and take the whipping boy with him. They boys however don't get far before they are captured by two highway men and seem to be doomed. The whipping boy is a lot smarter than what everyone realizes so soon the boys escape, along the way they run into and make friends with a young girl and her bear and a potatoe man, working together everyone earns a little money at the far and a little food. While looking for the food the Prince overhears how people actually feel about him and he decides very quickly to help his new friends and give the Whipping Boy his freedom. Once the boys are home and the situation is explained to the King, the boys became the best of friends and the whipping boy stayed in the castle to live our his youth.

I can relate to the book because more than once in my life I have taken the blame for someone elses misbehavior and taken the punishment for it. It is never a good feeling and you get a bad reputation for something that you have not done.

I could relate this to my kids by giving them each some candy and then when one wan't looking take their candy. When I am asked I would simply say that I did not take it but maybe someone (insert name) did. Then let them be questioned about it or blamed, then talk about how it made them feel, talk about what everyone thinks about it, then of course let everyone know that I took it and that person is really a great person.

**(best to use abother teacher or an assistant).
  morgan_817 | Apr 20, 2016 |
A tale about friendship, privilege and reaching understanding told like an old folk tale replete with smelly villains, chase scenes, and royalty. The whipping of children may turn off some readers, and the small note on the end does little to explain this ancient practice of whipping boys. ( )
  GReader28 | Feb 21, 2016 |
Summary:
This Newbery award chapter book is about a spoiled, mischievous prince who is always causing trouble. Unfortunately, he isn't the one who gets punished when he has done wrong. It is forbidden for a prince to be spanked or whipped. So, every time Prince Brat (this is what he is know by, secretly of course) causes trouble, his whipping boy, Jemmy, gets struck. Prince Brat decides one night that he wants to run away because he is unhappy. He demands that Jemmy goes with him. Reluctantly, Jemmy follows. The two boys end up being taken hostage by two bad guys. This book is full of adventure as they try to escape. Along the way, the two boys develop a friendship as they work together to spare their lives.

Personal Reaction:
This was a great book. In the beginning, Prince Brat had a poor attitude and only cared about himself. Each time Jemmy was punished for his mistakes, Prince Brat showed no remorse. Jimmy however continued to help Prince Brat, even at his expense. Jimmy truly taught Prince Brat how to be a good, trustworthy friend. I love how they worked as a team to help one another. This could help show children the true meaning of friendship and about teamwork.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. After all the adventures that took place for the two boys to return to the castle, they both came back as friends. This was completely different compared to what life was like before Prince Brat ran away. I could have the students write about what they think life was like for both Prince Brat and Jemmy after returning to the castle.
2. Students can engage in a teamwork activity that requires them to work together in order for completion and positive results. ( )
  A.Fonville | Nov 15, 2015 |
This book is about a prince and a whipping boy that ran away from the castle. While they where in the woods they found two men named Hold your nose Billy and Cutwater. They wanted to catch the prince and Jemmy but they cept running away from them and hiding in weird places. I liked this book because it had suspense and interesting things.I also liked it because it was a nice read aloud to me. ( )
  eli.P. | Oct 9, 2015 |
I listened to this book, the 1987 Newberry winner, over the course of about a month. Every time I started listening, I fell asleep. I am not exaggerating when I say I listened to the first 10 minutes about 20 times. I loved the voices and accents of some of the characters and I enjoyed listening to it again and again just to hear the prince say, "Pish-posh, I can always get someone to write my name for me." Other than that, the story was just okay. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |

Fleischman, Sidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sís, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The young prince was known here and there (and just about everywhere else) as Prince Brat.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060521228, Paperback)

For kids to get their dose of action and thrills, they need not always go to the local multiplex for the latest bang 'em up film. They could try such books as The Whipping Boy, which relies not on exploding spaceships and demonic robots but mythic story, humorous characters and, ready or not, a moral. The plot involves the orphan Jemmy, who must take the whippings for the royal heir, Prince Brat. Jemmy plans to flee this arrangement until Prince Brat beats him to it, and takes Jemmy along. Jemmy then hears he's charged with the Prince's abduction as this Newbery Medal winning book turns toward a surprising close.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:43 -0400)

A bratty prince and his whipping boy have many adventures when they inadvertently trade places after becoming involved with dangerous outlaws. Forced to serve as whipping boy to the arrogant and spiteful Prince Brat, Jemmy plans to run away, but on the night of his escape, he and the Prince have a climactic confrontation. Prince Brat decides to run away from home, taking his much abused whipping boy, Jemmy, with him, but their roles are reversed when the boys are captured by the villains Cut-Water and Hold-Your-Nose-Billy. John Newbery Award, 1987. This highly original tale, a sort of takeoff on the Prince and the Pauper, shows what happens when an obnoxious prince switches places with the boy who is punished for the prince's every misdeed, the whipping boy. A bratty prince and his whipping boy have many adventures when they inadvertently trade places after becoming involved with dangerous outlaws. A shout comes echoing up the stairway, fetch the whipping boy. A young orphan named Jemmy rouses from his sleep. Ain't I already been whipped twice today? What's the prince done now? It was forbidden to spank, thrash, or whack the heir to the throne. Jemmy had been plucked from the streets to serve as whipping boy to the arrogant and spiteful Prince Brat. Dreaming of running away, Jemmy finds himself trapped in Prince Brat's own dream, at once brash and perilous. In this briskly told tale of high adventure, taut with suspense and rich with colorful characters, the whipping boy and Prince Brat must at last confront each other. Award winning author Sid Fleischman again blends the broadly comic with the deeply compassionate in this memorable novel; splendid entertainment and a Newbery Medal winning book in 1987. Fleischman's earlier works, such as the 1966 Chancy and the Grand Rascal and By the Great Horn Spoon, are also sure treats, and happily still in print.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible