The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman

The Whipping Boy (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Sid Fleischman, Peter Sis (Illustrator)

Title:The Whipping Boy
Authors:Sid Fleischman
Other authors:Peter Sis (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic (1986), Edition: 2nd Printing, Paperback, 90 pages
Tags:Box 19 D

The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman (1986)

This Newbery award chapter book is about a spoiled, mischievous prince who is always causing trouble. Unfortunately, he isn't the one who gets punished when he has done wrong. It is forbidden for a prince to be spanked or whipped. So, every time Prince Brat (this is what he is know by, secretly of course) causes trouble, his whipping boy, Jemmy, gets struck. Prince Brat decides one night that he wants to run away because he is unhappy. He demands that Jemmy goes with him. Reluctantly, Jemmy follows. The two boys end up being taken hostage by two bad guys. This book is full of adventure as they try to escape. Along the way, the two boys develop a friendship as they work together to spare their lives.

Personal Reaction:
This was a great book. In the beginning, Prince Brat had a poor attitude and only cared about himself. Each time Jemmy was punished for his mistakes, Prince Brat showed no remorse. Jimmy however continued to help Prince Brat, even at his expense. Jimmy truly taught Prince Brat how to be a good, trustworthy friend. I love how they worked as a team to help one another. This could help show children the true meaning of friendship and about teamwork.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. After all the adventures that took place for the two boys to return to the castle, they both came back as friends. This was completely different compared to what life was like before Prince Brat ran away. I could have the students write about what they think life was like for both Prince Brat and Jemmy after returning to the castle.
2. Students can engage in a teamwork activity that requires them to work together in order for completion and positive results. ( )
  A.Fonville | Nov 15, 2015 |
This book is about a prince and a whipping boy that ran away from the castle. While they where in the woods they found two men named Hold your nose Billy and Cutwater. They wanted to catch the prince and Jemmy but they cept running away from them and hiding in weird places. I liked this book because it had suspense and interesting things.I also liked it because it was a nice read aloud to me. ( )
  eli.P. | Oct 9, 2015 |
I listened to this book, the 1987 Newberry winner, over the course of about a month. Every time I started listening, I fell asleep. I am not exaggerating when I say I listened to the first 10 minutes about 20 times. I loved the voices and accents of some of the characters and I enjoyed listening to it again and again just to hear the prince say, "Pish-posh, I can always get someone to write my name for me." Other than that, the story was just okay. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I read this in 5th grade and I remember liking it. As an adult, I think it's a delightful story, a perfect read-aloud to an upper-elementary child or classroom. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
In The Whipping Boy, Jemmy is the one who is punished when the Prince misbehaves, since a prince cannot be beaten for misbehaving. When Jemmy and the Prince first meet, they dislike one another, but after they are both kidnapped, they have to work together to get home.

I really liked this one. The language was reminiscent of the era, but easy to read for children. The way the two main characters play off of one another is sometimes pretty funny. The dialogue is enthralling.

This would be a great book for a physical activity, in which children are paired or grouped and have to depend on one another to complete tasks in a competition (ex: being bound back to back or using both of their bodies to move objects. Or, since this book is just long enough, it would be perfect for studies in story elements: plot, climax, problem, solution, setting...
  CallieHennessee | Jul 22, 2015 |

Fleischman, Sidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sís, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The young prince was known here and there (and just about everywhere else) as Prince Brat.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060521228, Paperback)

For kids to get their dose of action and thrills, they need not always go to the local multiplex for the latest bang 'em up film. They could try such books as The Whipping Boy, which relies not on exploding spaceships and demonic robots but mythic story, humorous characters and, ready or not, a moral. The plot involves the orphan Jemmy, who must take the whippings for the royal heir, Prince Brat. Jemmy plans to flee this arrangement until Prince Brat beats him to it, and takes Jemmy along. Jemmy then hears he's charged with the Prince's abduction as this Newbery Medal winning book turns toward a surprising close.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:43 -0400)

A bratty prince and his whipping boy have many adventures when they inadvertently trade places after becoming involved with dangerous outlaws. Forced to serve as whipping boy to the arrogant and spiteful Prince Brat, Jemmy plans to run away, but on the night of his escape, he and the Prince have a climactic confrontation. Prince Brat decides to run away from home, taking his much abused whipping boy, Jemmy, with him, but their roles are reversed when the boys are captured by the villains Cut-Water and Hold-Your-Nose-Billy. John Newbery Award, 1987. This highly original tale, a sort of takeoff on the Prince and the Pauper, shows what happens when an obnoxious prince switches places with the boy who is punished for the prince's every misdeed, the whipping boy. A bratty prince and his whipping boy have many adventures when they inadvertently trade places after becoming involved with dangerous outlaws. A shout comes echoing up the stairway, fetch the whipping boy. A young orphan named Jemmy rouses from his sleep. Ain't I already been whipped twice today? What's the prince done now? It was forbidden to spank, thrash, or whack the heir to the throne. Jemmy had been plucked from the streets to serve as whipping boy to the arrogant and spiteful Prince Brat. Dreaming of running away, Jemmy finds himself trapped in Prince Brat's own dream, at once brash and perilous. In this briskly told tale of high adventure, taut with suspense and rich with colorful characters, the whipping boy and Prince Brat must at last confront each other. Award winning author Sid Fleischman again blends the broadly comic with the deeply compassionate in this memorable novel; splendid entertainment and a Newbery Medal winning book in 1987. Fleischman's earlier works, such as the 1966 Chancy and the Grand Rascal and By the Great Horn Spoon, are also sure treats, and happily still in print.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,870,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible