The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman

The Whipping Boy (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Sid Fleischman, Peter Sis (Illustrator)

Member:upcenterbooks
Title:The Whipping Boy
Authors:Sid Fleischman
Other authors:Peter Sis (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic (1986), Edition: 2nd Printing, Paperback, 90 pages
Collections:
Tags:Box 19 D

The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman (1986)

I listened to this book, the 1987 Newberry winner, over the course of about a month. Every time I started listening, I fell asleep. I am not exaggerating when I say I listened to the first 10 minutes about 20 times. I loved the voices and accents of some of the characters and I enjoyed listening to it again and again just to hear the prince say, "Pish-posh, I can always get someone to write my name for me." Other than that, the story was just okay. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I read this in 5th grade and I remember liking it. As an adult, I think it's a delightful story, a perfect read-aloud to an upper-elementary child or classroom. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
In The Whipping Boy, Jemmy is the one who is punished when the Prince misbehaves, since a prince cannot be beaten for misbehaving. When Jemmy and the Prince first meet, they dislike one another, but after they are both kidnapped, they have to work together to get home.

I really liked this one. The language was reminiscent of the era, but easy to read for children. The way the two main characters play off of one another is sometimes pretty funny. The dialogue is enthralling.

This would be a great book for a physical activity, in which children are paired or grouped and have to depend on one another to complete tasks in a competition (ex: being bound back to back or using both of their bodies to move objects. Or, since this book is just long enough, it would be perfect for studies in story elements: plot, climax, problem, solution, setting...
  CallieHennessee | Jul 22, 2015 |
Summary: The Whipping Boy is a story about a prince, Prince Brat, who has a boy that takes all of his whippings and whacks for him, named Jemmy. One night, he decides to run away, and the book follows their adventure as they are chased by criminals, make friends with a girl and her dancing bear, and return to the castle.

Personal Reaction: I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. It was funny, and had a very nice ending, where everyone was happy. I really think this would be an enjoyable book for kids, I can see why it was the Newbery Medal.

Classroom Extensions:
1: Have kids write their own story of what they would do if they ran away! Add pictures if they want to help tell the story.
  yelhsajoh | Apr 15, 2015 |
Summary: This story is about a boy, Prince Horace he is often spoiled, a brat, and misbehaves. He is nicknamed "Prince Brat". Horace cannot be whipped or have hand lied on him so they hire an orphan boy to be whipped instead when Horace misbehaves. The two boys escape their hime and go on many adventures and meet a lot of people.

Personal Reaction: This was an interesting book because I've never read anything like it or heard of someone getting hit or whipped in place of a prince. I thought this was definitely the wrong way to punish someone being a prince, or an orphan. I felt really bad for the orphan and I can't believe the parents were okay with this.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have the students write in chronological order the events that happened in the book,
2) Have the students write out the the characters that appeared in the book. ( )
  lizzydelg | Apr 15, 2015 |

Fleischman, Sidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sís, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The young prince was known here and there (and just about everywhere else) as Prince Brat.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060521228, Paperback)

For kids to get their dose of action and thrills, they need not always go to the local multiplex for the latest bang 'em up film. They could try such books as The Whipping Boy, which relies not on exploding spaceships and demonic robots but mythic story, humorous characters and, ready or not, a moral. The plot involves the orphan Jemmy, who must take the whippings for the royal heir, Prince Brat. Jemmy plans to flee this arrangement until Prince Brat beats him to it, and takes Jemmy along. Jemmy then hears he's charged with the Prince's abduction as this Newbery Medal winning book turns toward a surprising close.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:43 -0400)

A bratty prince and his whipping boy have many adventures when they inadvertently trade places after becoming involved with dangerous outlaws. Forced to serve as whipping boy to the arrogant and spiteful Prince Brat, Jemmy plans to run away, but on the night of his escape, he and the Prince have a climactic confrontation. Prince Brat decides to run away from home, taking his much abused whipping boy, Jemmy, with him, but their roles are reversed when the boys are captured by the villains Cut-Water and Hold-Your-Nose-Billy. John Newbery Award, 1987. This highly original tale, a sort of takeoff on the Prince and the Pauper, shows what happens when an obnoxious prince switches places with the boy who is punished for the prince's every misdeed, the whipping boy. A bratty prince and his whipping boy have many adventures when they inadvertently trade places after becoming involved with dangerous outlaws. A shout comes echoing up the stairway, fetch the whipping boy. A young orphan named Jemmy rouses from his sleep. Ain't I already been whipped twice today? What's the prince done now? It was forbidden to spank, thrash, or whack the heir to the throne. Jemmy had been plucked from the streets to serve as whipping boy to the arrogant and spiteful Prince Brat. Dreaming of running away, Jemmy finds himself trapped in Prince Brat's own dream, at once brash and perilous. In this briskly told tale of high adventure, taut with suspense and rich with colorful characters, the whipping boy and Prince Brat must at last confront each other. Award winning author Sid Fleischman again blends the broadly comic with the deeply compassionate in this memorable novel; splendid entertainment and a Newbery Medal winning book in 1987. Fleischman's earlier works, such as the 1966 Chancy and the Grand Rascal and By the Great Horn Spoon, are also sure treats, and happily still in print.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,145,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible