No title (2005)

Sometime this century the day will arrive when the human influence on the climate will overwhelm all other natural factors. Over the past decade, the world has seen the most powerful El Nino ever recorded, the most devastating hurricane in two hundred years, the hottest European summer on record, and one of the worst storm seasons ever experienced in Florida. With one out of every five living things on this planet committed to extinction by the levels of greenhouse gases that will accumulate in the next few decades, we are reaching a global climatic tipping point. [This book] is both an urgent warning and a call to arms, outlining the history of climate change, how it will unfold over the next century, and what we can do to prevent a cataclysmic future. Along with a riveting history of climate change, [the author] offers specific suggestions for action for both lawmakers and individuals, from investing in renewable power sources like wind, solar, and geothermal energy, to offering an action plan with steps each and every one of us can take right now to reduce deadly CO2 emissions by as much as 70 percent.-Dust jacket. Includes information on acidity in ocean, air pollution, carbon dioxide, climate change, coal, coral reefs, extinctions, global warming, greenhouse effect, greenhouse gases, hurricanes, Kyoto Protocol, Montreal Protocol, oil, ozone, plankton, rainfall, solar power, sunlight, nuclear power, wind power, geothermal energy,… (more)
Member:
Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Weather Makers : How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth by Tim Flannery (2005)

English (15)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (17)
Mammologist and paleontologist Flannery (The Eternal Frontier), who in recent years has become well known for his controversial ideas on conservation, the environment and population control, presents a straightforward and powerfully written look at the connection between climate change and global warming. It's destined to become required reading following Hurricane Katrina as the focus shifts to the natural forces that may have produced such a devastating event. Much of the book's success is rooted in Flannery's succinct and fascinating insights into related topics, such as the differences between the terms greenhouse effect, global warming and climate change, and how the El Ni?o cycle of extreme climatic events "had a profound re-organising effect on nature." But the heart of the book is Flannery's impassioned look at the earth's "colossal" carbon dioxide pollution problem and his argument for how we can shift from our current global reliance on fossil fuels [...]. Flannery consistently produces the hard goods related to his main message that our environmental behavior makes us all "weather makers" who "already possess all the tools required to avoid catastrophic climate change."
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Fossil fuels - oil, coal, and gas - are all that remains of organisms that, many millions of years ago, drew carbon from the atmosphere. When we burn wood, we release carbon that has been out of atmospheric circulation for a few decades, but when we burn fossil fuels, we release carbon that has been out of circulation for eons. Digging up the dead in this way is a particularly bad thing for the living to do.

A comprehensive and easily accessible book covering climate change and all it's complexities. I had no idea how complex climate change is -- water temperatures, plankton blooms, changes in migratory patterns, the Gulf Stream and el Niño. I'm shocked by the number of peoples in the Arctic and on Pacific Island atolls that are about to lose their nations as conditions worsen and the land (actually ice or coral reefs) and food sources disappear. Sadly I am not surprised to learn of the bullying by Australia and the US of their neighbors and other nations. I was shocked though, that an Australian politician publicly stated that it would be easier to evacuate all the Pacific Island atolls than it would be to require that Australia decrease carbon emissions. Flannery also covers potential solutions that might lower the carbon in the atmosphere -- wind power, solar power, current and tidal power, utilization of different fuels for cars and cargo ships, legal action against corporations and governments that don't comply with set carbon emission levels and, unfortunately, increased use of nuclear power.
This is the third book I've read by Flannery. Like the others this book is easy to read, yet without the feeling that it was dumbed down for a general audience. It's one of those books that I want to push on everyone and tell them to read it, right now. Highly recommended. ( )
  VioletBramble | Dec 20, 2014 |
Accessible synopsis on climate change research and our dwindling options for maintaining a temperate planet. Boy is this book depressing. Hey, good news — if we act now (7 years ago), we might be able to save nine-tenths of all living species! ( )
  bexaplex | Jun 17, 2012 |
A lucid overview, though it definitely zooms around a lot, in time, space and in its considerations of the different facets of the climate change problem. Two specific comments: Was interesting to see how much Flannery quotes [a:Alfred Russel Wallace|32343|Alfred Russel Wallace|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1244739380p2/32343.jpg], of [b:The Malay Archipelago The land of the orang-utan and the bird of paradise a narrative of travel with studies of man and nature|710535|The Malay Archipelago The land of the orang-utan and the bird of paradise a narrative of travel with studies of man and nature|Alfred Russel Wallace|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1177526212s/710535.jpg|96053]. I've never read later Wallace, understanding that his later works devolve into weird late-Victorian spiritualism. But Flannery rescues his writing on the atmosphere, on "the Great Aerial Ocean", and recommends his last great work [b:Man's Place In The Universe|796671|Man's Place In The Universe A Study Of The Results Of Scientific Research In Relation To The Unity Or Plurality Of Worlds|Alfred Russel Wallace|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1178460466s/796671.jpg|2275706], "full of insights that resonate with an environmentally aware twenty-first century". So it's on my too-read list.Flannery concludes his book with a call to action. And it's a reasonably effective call-to-action too. Inspired by that, let me ask this question to all my Singapore friends. Given how much sunshine we get, why is that solar water heaters are so little used in Singapore? I've asked architects and contractors this question, and they say, oh, no, too expensive, no good, etc. And I haven't pushed. But really, what's the deal? In so many other places around the world they are very common. Athens, Chengdu, etc. ( )
  Katong | Apr 16, 2012 |
An excellent book, I am now a fan of Tim Flannery his direct style and vast knowledge come together as a wonderful interesting reality account of where we are in the climate change factual story. ( )
  Johnjack | Aug 10, 2009 |
A racy read is not what you expect from a scientist, especially when it's a book about climate change. But Tim Flannery is a straight-talking Australian and perhaps that is what gives his book its refreshingly different perspective.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Paul Brown (Apr 15, 2006)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,823,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible