Dancing at Midnight by Julia Quinn

Dancing at Midnight (edition 1995)

by Julia Quinn

Member:LittleDeeDee
Title:Dancing at Midnight
Authors:Julia Quinn
Info:Avon (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Romance, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Dancing at Midnight by Julia Quinn

Lady Arabella decides to take a break from the season and the marriage mart. She has both beauty and brains but her potential suitors can only see the inheritance she has.Lord John has lived through the war and withdraws from the world. ( )
  lindahallmann | May 31, 2014 |
This is one of the books that made me fall in love with Julia Quinn’s writing. John Blackwood is probably the closest perfect male character that has been written. He is tall, dark and handsome yes but he is also flawed and humble as well. He is honorable and loyal. He is also wrecked with guilt over something that wasn’t his fault and he would have been hard pressed to stop. Finally he is a wounded war hero that is honored by the English government with a title. I read this story some years ago and fill in love with John at the time. With this re-reading I remember all the things that made John one of my favorite heroes.

Lady Arabella Blydon, Belle, is one of those women that can find the good in almost anyone. She is also very intelligent, loyal to a fault, caring and compassionate. She never falters in her belief that John is a good man and needs her help and her love. Belle is also funny and more than a little sarcastic when the need arises. I love the way she defends John when someone insults him about being awarded his title. I also love that she never gives up on John even after he pushes her away for her own good. Belle continues to be one of my favorite heroines.

We get to see more of Alex and Emma and William Dunford which is wonderful. Dunford is the perfect friend for both Alex and Belle. The scene where he helps Belle climb the tree is funny and enduring. This story also shows that this group is courageous and willing to defend each other.

Ms. Quinn has written another witty and funny story. She writes wonderful characters that live with you long after you have finished the last page. Laughter is a gift and Ms. Quinn is generous with her humor. Unlike so many of today’s authors her female characters are enduring and brave without being mean spirited and nasty. She also writes some lovely and intimate scenes between John and Belle. They are the spicy erotic scenes in books today but they will leave smiling and content. Once again if you love this genre of romance then you are going to love Ms. Quinn’s books. ( )
  LadyIsis | Jan 7, 2014 |
January 22-25, 2011

Ditto my 2007 comments! :) I think John's issues are more reasonable NOW than I apparently did then, though. He's a great, great character! I love how INSANELY JEALOUS he got over Belle. If only she'd worn that dress she ordered that first night. He would have FREAKED OUT, which would have been totally hilarious! ;)

April 12, 2009

If I were in a funny mood, I'd probably say the exact same thing again.... It was a really cute book with quite a lot of kissing... I really like Belle and John, as well as Emma and Alex and Dunford... who are featured in other Julia Quinn books... :) Cute cute.

July 1, 2007

Okay, I LOVED Lord John. Yes, he had issues that were COMPLETELY ridiculous, but at least he was willing to take a bit of blame for crap that happened.

Anyway, this book features Lady Arabella (Belle) Blydon, cousin of Splendid's Emma. She's a beautiful bluestocking, which is exactly her problem. Men like her for her looks, but none appreciate her brains. So, she's sick of London, and she goes out to the country to visit Emma and Alex (which is also a lovely movie), where she meets Lord John. He doesn't have very good social skills, and she ends up thinking he doesn't like her, when he's actually just trying not to jump on her. So she's like, "I hate when people don't like me. I must spend time with him and MAKE him like me!" which results in fun kissing scenes... :) Anyway, she spends most of the book trying to convince him that he's worthy of her (which includes some GREAT jealousy scenes), because he thinks he's this AWFUL person, which he's not. *eye-rolling*

Many fun times are had because of Lord John's estate's name... Bletchford Manor. Heeheehee... Fun times! ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
Lady Arabella is independent and has had to turn down several marriage offers because its obvious that it isn't her they want but her fortune, so she decides to take a break and stay with her cousin and her husband in the country. While reading, Lord John finds her and through some witty and entertaining interaction they begin to fall for each other....however John is a wounded war hero and has some ghosts in his past and is unwilling to put Arabella at risk...even if that means giving her up and the love he has for her. Arabella is determined not to lose the one man she has come to love, one who respects and loves her for who she is and not what she is....but will she be able to show this tormented man how to learn to love and more than that learn to let go and live life once more? Dancing At Midnight is the second in the Splendid series....and the first time I have read this book...even though I could have sworn I had read every one of Julia Quinn's books already. I have no idea how I missed this one before now...but I am just so glad that I found this treasure. One of my favorite things that I loved about this one....is that the hero was a complicated characters....and that he wasn't this just about perfect man...that he had flaws and demons and Arabella was such a sweet character...you couldn't help but like her...she had such charming qualities about her. Even though there was a dark side to this book it also was filled with laughter and a sense of carefreeness (is that even a word? if not I just created a new one) that just endeared me from the first page to the very last and now I am thinking I need to read the rest of the series again. Dancing at Midnight was a true romantic romp....and I had such a fun time reading this one!!! Definitely a keeper! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 3, 2013 |
I found this book to be a lot slower than the 1st in the series. And I found Bella to be a bit unrealistic.

Back Cover Blurb:
When a suitor tells Lady Arabella Blydon that he's willing to overlook her appalling bluestocking tendencies on account of her looks and fortune, she decides to take a break from the Marriage Mart. So during an extended stay in the country, she never expects to meet Lord John Blackwood, a wounded war hero who intrigues her like no other man.
Lord John has lived through the worst horrors of war, but nothing could have been as terrifying to his tormented heart as Lady Arabella. She is intoxicating, infuriating.....and she makes him want to live again. Suddenly he's writing bad poetry and climbing trees in the pitch-dark night, just so he can dance with her. But when the harsh light of day replaces the magic of midnight, can this tormented soul learn to love again? ( )
  mazda502001 | Jan 9, 2013 |
If, one by one, you weeded all the world--

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380780755, Mass Market Paperback)

Lady Arabella Blydon has beauty and a brain, and she's tired of men who can see only one without the other.

When a suitor tells Arabella he's willing to overlook her appalling bluestocking tendencies on account of her looks and fortune, she decides to take a break from the Marriage Mart. During an extended stay in the country, she never expects to meet Lord John Blackwood, a wounded war hero who intrigues her like no other man.

Lord John has lived through the worst horros of war...but nothing could have been as terrifying to his tormented heart as Lady Arabella. She is intoxicating, infuriating...and she makes him want to live again. Suddenly he's writing bad poetry and climbing trees in the pitch-dark night...just so he can dance with her as the clock strikes midnight. And even though he knows he can never be the sort of man she deserves, he can't help wanting her. But when the harsh light of day replaces the magic of midnight, can this tormented soul learn to love again?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:41 -0400)

Suspecting that there is more to Lord John Blackwood, a wounded war hero, than meets the eye, independent Lady Arabella Blydon determines to heal his shattered spirit, but nothing is as terrifying to his tormented heart than Arabella. She's intoxicating, infuriating--and she makes him want to live again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,327,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible